Guitars From Your Past....Where are they now and has anyone seen them???

What's Hot

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2020

I once found a guitar I'd traded away and badly missed - a '68 Gibson B25 I bought from Andy's in Denmark St, my first US-made acoustic. I'd swapped it for a '73 hardtail Strat within days of arriving at college. I'd played the Gibson for about three years and really had the heebie-jeebies about giving it up, so when I ran across it about two years later in a shop in Nottingham I was overjoyed. 

Apart from some added Schallers, it was exactly as I'd last seen it. I made the classic mistake of telling the shop assistant... "Ah, you'll be wanting it back," he purred, lifting it down from the wall while pound signs danced in his eyes. 

And... it was as dead as a nail. Awful little guitar, hopeless. After two chords I was literally laughing at how shit it was. The assistant was gutted. I've never seen a young man suddenly so sad.

Now the Strat, that was the guitar I really should have kept...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    KKJale said:

I once found a guitar I'd traded away and badly missed - a '68 Gibson B25 I bought from Andy's in Denmark St, my first US-made acoustic. I'd swapped it for a '73 hardtail Strat within days of arriving at college. I'd played the Gibson for about three years and really had the heebie-jeebies about giving it up, so when I ran across it about two years later in a shop in Nottingham I was overjoyed. 

Apart from some added Schallers, it was exactly as I'd last seen it. I made the classic mistake of telling the shop assistant... "Ah, you'll be wanting it back," he purred, lifting it down from the wall while pound signs danced in his eyes. 

And... it was as dead as a nail.

It might have been the Schallers that did that. When I bought my ‘61 J-45 it had a set on, and sounded just OK. I took the ugly heavy things off and fitted a set of modern Kluson-type ones, and it sounded amazing. That was the first time I realised how much difference the mass of the machineheads can make.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    ICBM said:

It might have been the Schallers that did that.
    Interesting. You might well be on to something there.

I also think I'd somewhat romanticised it in my mind... plus, in the time since I'd got rid of it, I'd experienced Fyldes, Lowdens, Martins and so on. The Gibson just couldn't hit me like it had when I was 15.

But I'm still kinda fond of that smaller body shape, B25s, LG1's, LG2's and the like, and maybe one day I'll find a really good one...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    edited March 2020
    If anyone sees this...let me know

http://imgur.com/gallery/635fvpW
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehead said:

Crikey, that’s fabulous
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    horsehead said:

Crikey, that’s fabulous
    Yep, how stupid do you have to be too get rid of that... Oh yeah... My level of stupid
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited May 2020
    2007 Standard Faded on Ebay which some here might remember.

@john_r
    @photek
    @Darren

Great top, but the neck profile didn't quite work for me in the long run.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-paul-standard-guitar/373042894221

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @bodhi  Yes one of the prettiest tops on that one, just a shame the neck was a bit slim even though it was a 50s profile I think? Did sound and play great though. Still don’t see the £2k price tag on the Faded’s myself, great guitars but not better than a reissue.
    edited May 2020
    photek said:
    @bodhi  Yes one of the prettiest tops on that one, just a shame the neck was a bit slim even though it was a 50s profile I think?
    Yeah, on paper it had a 50's profile, but in the long run the neck felt too thin and narrow to me.

It's a shame, really - it was one hell of a good looking guitar with some good upgrades, too.

I kept the DMC pickup covers to go onto my Wolfetone Legends, which would originally have had the same, and I think I changed the pickup rings to match the pickup bobbins before selling it on.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    bodhi said:
    2007 Standard Faded on Ebay which some here might remember.

@john_r
    @photek
    @Darren

Great top, but the neck profile didn't quite work for me in the long run.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-paul-standard-guitar/373042894221

Nice looking guitar. How do they justify £150 for postage though? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Funny, when I first saw that listing, the first thought that came into my mind was that the seller doesn't really seem overly keen to make a sale.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited May 2020
    I sometimes wonder about the odd ones that got nicked during life on the road Of the ones I got rid of, I know that one of my old Yamaha SG2000's in on the west coast of Ireland and has been for, what is now ,decades and my old Fylde acoustic is still alive and well in Nashville. The rest, I would have to think very hard as to what I had, never mind where they are, I just hope they are getting played and are being treated well.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    This was my old guitar, I paid a fortune to mod a epiphone studio dot and could never get it to sound like I wanted it to in my head. I commissioned a local graffiti artist to do the artwork (met him through a gig we did together).
    Part of me regrets selling the guitar, because even as a piece of art it would look great on my wall. Even so, I'm chuffed to bits it's out being gigged.

https://www.huntspost.co.uk/things-to-do/review-she-drew-the-gun-cambridge-folk-festival-2017-1-5127577
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    edited May 2020
    @bodhi @photek I do miss that faded a little bit, was a great sounding guitar with an instantly recognisable top but it did have the unmistakable chambered tone. I think if I was going to drop two grand on a Lester I would go for one of the new 50s standards or save a bit more for a used R7, something with no chambering and a one piece back!
    Looks a bit shinier than when I owned it! 
    john_r said:
    @bodhi @photek I do miss that faded a little bit, was a great sounding guitar with an instantly recognisable top but it did have the unmistakable chambered tone. I think if I was going to drop two grand on a Lester I would go for one of the new 50s standards or save a bit more for a used R7, something with no chambering and a one piece back!
    Looks a bit shinier than when I owned it! 
    Someone most certainly had polished it up somewhere along the line.  Especially the back was close to full gloss by the time it came to me.

This was one of the pics I took for selling it.  Sure was a looker.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited May 2020
    Thankfully I don’t have any regrets about ones I’ve sold and only have a passing interest in one of them...

I’m still fond of it - a Patrick Eggle New York Plus from 1992, it was my first ‘proper’ guitar, it gave me the confidence in my playing to start a band, it did all my first gigs etc. 

I kept it unused in its case for along time for sentimental reasons, but in the end let it go when I needed the cash for something else.

@revmatt was its custodian after me - but not for long. I hope it’s being used regularly and inspiring someone else now. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited May 2020
    I had a Tyler SE HD that I always regret selling. I was skint at the time so I had to sell. 

It was an early 90’s one in the hazmat shmear finish.
    I bought it from sound affects premier. Unusually the mid boost had been removed and someone had installed a light up pickguard. The mid boost switch had been re-wired to activate the pickguard. So it was pretty unique.

That guitar had mojo. It played and sounded amazing. 

I listed it on eBay and some guy from Germany bought it. God knows where it is now.

This thread has inspired me to try and track it down.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    I'm not really a seller...  My first electric was a Columbus Les Paul. I sold that after 6 months to trade up to an Ibanez Les Paul with gold bling  and a natural maple cap. That went about a year later when I bought my 74 Strat (in 1979). I've only bought/sold one guitar since then - a Ned Callan (Cody?) I can't remember much about it, why I bought it and I don't remember why I sold it (needed cash, probably). All I remember is taking the neck off so I could pack it up and ship it to its new owner. 

I don't regret any of those sales, but...

To help fund the Strat I sold my decent classical guitar I bought aged 13 from Ivor Mairants (and the salesman was Ivor himself). What would a 1970 Yairi classical that cost me £40 be worth now, I wonder? I'm actually thinking a nice classical guitar would suit me at the moment. 

Oh well... :-(
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    I had an Aslin Dane strat copy with a composite fretboard, meant to be black but it was a weird brown due to an accident. I'd like to see that one again.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    My Epi Standard Lp, great guitar that was, lovely in every way! Sold it to a guy in a Zep tribute band a few years back.

Id love to know where it is now, it has some finish clouding over the Epiphone logo on the head stock, 

One of the nicest fretboards Ive ever seen, Samick built, early 2000's If I recall.

If anyone knows its where abouts Id love to hear from you.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.