Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tom Bukovac YouTube videos

What's Hot

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited March 2021
    He's a brilliant player – and there are plenty of bits to take from what he plays – but I can't warm to the bloke himself. The whole Uncle Larry thing and his Rolling Rock shtick seems a bit tired by now. I also don't buy into the idea that his channel is some saintly act of musical altruism. I still watch it if I'm in the mood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's a brilliant player – and there are plenty of bits to take from what he plays – but I can't warm to the bloke himself. The whole Uncle Larry thing and his Rolling Rock shtick seems a bit tired by now. I also don't buy into the idea that his channel is some saintly act of musical altruism. I still watch it if I'm in the mood.
    Genuinely baffled by this response. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Love his playing and videos. Everything he plays just sounds musical and interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    He's a brilliant player – and there are plenty of bits to take from what he plays – but I can't warm to the bloke himself. The whole Uncle Larry thing and his Rolling Rock shtick seems a bit tired by now. I also don't buy into the idea that his channel is some saintly act of musical altruism. I still watch it if I'm in the mood.
    I'm not sure what is difficult to understand. What I am saying is that I don't share the general enthusiasm for his Homeskooling videos. Not a must-watch for me.
  • He's a brilliant player – and there are plenty of bits to take from what he plays – but I can't warm to the bloke himself. The whole Uncle Larry thing and his Rolling Rock shtick seems a bit tired by now. I also don't buy into the idea that his channel is some saintly act of musical altruism. I still watch it if I'm in the mood.
    I'm not sure what is difficult to understand. What I am saying is that I don't share the general enthusiasm for his Homeskooling videos. Not a must-watch for me.
    Fair enough and perfectly understandable. What baffled me was the whole "saintly act of musical altruism". Really don't know where that perception has come from. Sounded to me kind of like going out of your way to have a contrarian take and piss on something that's been near universally appreciated, for little reason.
    edited March 2021
    Fair enough and perfectly understandable. What baffled me was the whole "saintly act of musical altruism". Really don't know where that perception has come from. Sounded to me kind of like going out of your way to have a contrarian take and piss on something that's been near universally appreciated, for little reason.
    Ok, understood. Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but I have read a lot of comments (some here and many in the YT comments) which suggest that, because Bukovac isn't monetising his videos, it makes his channel especially valuable and, oddly, also beyond criticism. He obviously loves making music and probably enjoys making these videos, but I imagine he also sees the videos as a way of building a new following and becoming more of a name outside of the Nashville session scene. The sales of merch and PayPal tips are also probably useful for paying a few bills (none of which do I begrudge him, by the way). That's all I meant in my point about his channel not being an act of altruism.
    Ok, understood. Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but I have read a lot of comments (some here and many in the YT comments) which suggest that, because Bukovac isn't monetising his videos, it makes his channel especially valuable and, oddly, also beyond criticism. He obviously loves making music and probably enjoys making these videos, but I imagine he also sees the videos as a way of building a new following and becoming more of a name outside of the Nashville session scene. The sales of merch and PayPal tips are also probably useful for paying a few bills (none of which do I begrudge him, by the way). That's all I meant in my point about his channel not being an act of altruism.
    Ah, I see what you mean. I really don't think anyone does anything completley out of altruism on YouTube (nor should anyone necessarily), but I find Bukovac an order of magnitude more sincere and "authentic" than just about anyone in the online guitar community with that kind of following. He hasn't even really been pushing his signature Dusey. I'm sure he gets a decent amount of "tip jar" dollars per video.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    These are the things I noticed straight away about Tom which appealed to me. 

He plays through an amp, so instantly he sounds different from the Helix / Kemper / AXE users .... even though the sound is an iPhone mic it's picking up a real amp in a real room and it just sounds so organic,  cool and unprocessed, even when he uses a pedal or 2. I can imagine though he's playing a lot louder than most people would be able to, even when he's got the garage door open. 
    He's got such a great knack of either holding a bass note or implying a chord while he's playing a bit of lead, so even when he's just noodling it sounds so musical. 
    His touch is just exquisite, there's so much going on with the right hand. Sometimes it's all fingers, then hybrid, then pick but turning the pick to get more mellow sounds. 
    His stretch and use of his thumb is crazy, some of the chord voicing's he gets are unique because of that.  

Everyone I have linked to his videos have been deeply impressed and then gone and sent links to all their mates, so I can see how he grew so quick. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boehmiteboehmite Frets: 7
    Tom Bukovac...he’s the man alright. I’ve been around guitars and players a long time and he’s  something else...not just a great honest-to-goodness human but an incredible guitarist too. For example, watch that recent video of him improving in the studio on that BC Rich Eagle....simply can’t watch it too many times.
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    When asked what was the best musician he ever had the pleasure to work with, Steve Gorman, former drummer of the Black Crowes, said "Tom Bukovac". 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Cheers for the rec, seems good from the random video I checked out, will need to check some more, hopefully get in to it.

It does have a bit of an annoyance that a lot of guitar videos have which is that the talking is a lot quieter than the playing so I have to ride the volume the whole time to hear the talking without blasting out loud guitar after midnight!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    A fan of his YouTube channel Eric Banister has put a Spotify playlist together. It contains the songs that Tom mentions during his Homeskoolin’ videos. 

• boehmiteboehmite Frets: 7
    Thanks for that, duotone.
  • Good recommendation. I really enjoy David Brewster, great teacher who communicates well and just exudes enthusiasm that's really infectious. No gear bollocks. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Recently saw the video where he mentions playing this. Had to dig up the original video Jeff Senn recorded when he played it on the guitar collection day. Good stuff.

https://youtu.be/cD8NYEGWvMY
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Someone was bound to do it in the end:

https://youtu.be/Zm6aM5tGkvw

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Live stream gig coming soon, looking forward to that !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited March 2021
    JohnPerry said:

Its a good sign of recovery when I've had two videos today that made me smile.....this one caused a real laugh!

Uncle Tommy remains to be OK with me.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Thanks for this. Totally new to me, and totally engaging - the embodiment of cool; not trying too hard to impress, be wacky or overselling.

Love that BB King quote - ‘why are you working so hard’ !!!!

• pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 271
    edited March 2021
    JohnPerry said:

All the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order...

Thanks for sharing.