best dual OD/Dist pedals ?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
Name 'em! Can be OD/OD or OD/Dist. I really like and use it as my no.1 pedal my Visual Sounds Jekyll n Hyde . Like the tube screamer on the one side and the Shredmaster clone on the other and set as I do I can go from my crunchy rhythm sound to a louder boosted lead sound by kicking in on top the distortion side of the pedal. The 2 stomp switches are close enough together to stomp both on or off in a single stomp. Me likes! What other do you know of and or have tried?

HT Dual  - had one of these, its size and own PSU were its undoing as it couldn't live on my board for that reason.
Ibanez Jemini ....TS + DS1 type ...never tried this one
the none valve version of the HT Dual

what others you know of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    Pete cornish SS3/G2 Duplex. Unbeatable

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I liked the Fulltone GT500 I had. Very nice Pearl Jam type thing to my ears. Kinda like a smoother more "american" sounding Rat with more tone controls
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wampler Dual Fusion. Although I wasn't that keen on it, but it gets great reviews everywhere.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    also more interested in ones where you can cascade the 2 channels as well as either/or.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    As @stickyfiddle mentioned above the Fulltone GT500 is good.

The new Fulldrive 3 is getting rave reviews but I've not tried it myself.

Personally I prefer single pedals.  I always find that I use one side of a double pedal a lot, and the other side rarely.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Couple of dual drives in the Thomann- T Rex limited editions: Ego Boost ( TSish? Plus clean boost) and Dual Drive. Bit cheaper than the standard T Rex dual pedals and look interesting.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic sounds grand, but the 16vac PSU can be a pain in the hole - I've had two give up on me now so I've gone back to my other favourite dual OD/dist in the shape of a Germanium 4 Big Muff.

The Twin Toob toggles between the two channels, whereas the G4 Muff is one, the other or stacking both together.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    Would happily buy a HT-Dual again if circumstances were acceptable re:the massive size of it.

Love my Fulltone Fulldrive II
  • samldr1984samldr1984 Frets: 32
    Fulldrive 3 is a must!
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Paul C. Tim for me always!
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    I scored a Foxrox ZIM a few years back, dual overdrive / distortion. Each channel has a card with its effect that is changeable so you can mix various sounds, I have a  TS, distortion (MXR+ sound), fuzz face, big muff and a clean boost and it's super versitile. Great for taking to a jam, without a full pedal board,  as I can swop out sounds to suit.

• danodano Frets: 1647
    I liked the Fulltone GT500 I had. Very nice Pearl Jam type thing to my ears. Kinda like a smoother more "american" sounding Rat with more tone controls
    This interests me very much, PJ being my favourite band I've been listening to on / off for the last 20 years. Any particular period / albums it sounds like ?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I think there is a big difference between the pedals that are two complete pedals in a chassis (Like a GT500) and pedals with a switchable additional gain stage (Like the Fulldrive II)

Stuff I've tried:

GT500 - I thought the boost/OD was very good, but I struggled to get a sound I really liked out of the Distortion even though it had a 5 band EQ. You can switch the order which is very useful.

Fulldrive II - It's essentially a TS with a preset gain boost so not really a dual pedal

Jekyl and Hyde - A Shredmaster and a TS in a box. I love Shredmasters, but not so much TS pedals so I'd rather have the Son of Hyde

LT Dual - Nice beefy sounding rock drive, but a bit too dark for me and I was disappointed it didn't have a speaker sim. Again is just a second gain preset.

Box of Rock - Great Marshally drive into an SHO boost. Irritatingly you can't flip the order and slam the drive which makes it useless for me. I'd like to try a Double Rock for that reason.

Pinnacle Deluxe - Great drive, but the boost is really just a slightly different voicing so not worth having on a switch IMO and I'd get the smaller one.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    JHS Sweet tea? I really want this pedal :)
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702

Fulldrive II - It's essentially a TS with a preset gain boost so not really a dual pedal

It's got two switches on it. Who gives a shit what's going on inside?

If you want a 'dual' why not just go with two pedals like ICBM says, endless modular options there.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    daveyh said:

It's got two switches on it. Who gives a shit what's going on inside?

If you want a 'dual' why not just go with two pedals like ICBM says, endless modular options there.
    I'm not saying it's good or bad just that it isn't a drive and a boost like a GT500 it's one pedal with two gain settings. 
    I actually prefer single pedals with two modes because you can pre-engage the higher gain sound for a solo without hitting two pedals.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

I have a Zinky True Grit which is a brilliant overdrive with gain boost that effectively makes it distorted.  It immediately replaced my Jeckyl and Hyde and hasn't been off my board since.

They come up on ebay every now and again for about £60 - £70 and are work every penny of that

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    dano;267518" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

This interests me very much, PJ being my favourite band I've been listening to on / off for the last 20 years. Any particular period / albums it sounds like ?
    I don't know PJ beyond the best of on my ipod but it nailed the "Alive" sound into my old Rivera Clubster
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I do like the GT500.  Given that it's got a 3 band eq on the distortion side it the GT500 it is also quite versatile.  It's gone back on my board again.  What I would really like though is the distortion side on its own in a single pedal.  The boost is nice and I use it sometimes but I'd rather have the space on my board.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom