best dual OD/Dist pedals ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1746
    daveyh said:
    Would happily buy a HT-Dual again if circumstances were acceptable re:the massive size of it.

Love my Fulltone Fulldrive II

The design brief for the LT range was to get as close as possible to the sound of the big jobs. One thing you cannot duplicate with a 9volt battery however is the massive headroom afforded by + and - 15 volt supplies!

And I never got all this bitchin' about the HTs height? All you need to do is raise the rest of the puny ones up by about 20mm! Bit 'o' MDF, job's a good'un.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    ecc83 said:

And I never got all this bitchin' about the HTs height? All you need to do is raise the rest of the puny ones up by about 20mm!

I quite like the idea of a pedal that tall, it means you can put it at the back of the board and still easily press the footswitches without nudging the knobs of the ones in front. But maybe I'm just odd...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

And I never got all this bitchin' about the HTs height? All you need to do is raise the rest of the puny ones up by about 20mm!

I quite like the idea of a pedal that tall, it means you can put it at the back of the board and still easily press the footswitches without nudging the knobs of the ones in front. But maybe I'm just odd...

Which is fine if you want it on the back row, if you want it on the front row then the one behind becomes difficult to get to
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Some pedal boards with lids on won't close with the Blackstar pedals... To tall.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Jeztone said:
    I saw a guy gigging a while ago with the two RAT's in a box unit & he sounded great.
    I might have been interested in one of those but I was a bit put off by the stupid name - "Deucetone"… why? If they'd just called it "Two Rats In A Box" I'd probably have bought one.

:)
    They should have got a bit literary and called it Room 101 :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    shuikit said:
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

Which is fine if you want it on the back row, if you want it on the front row then the one behind becomes difficult to get to

I think it's a bit of an over site by BS, they were surely aware of the form factor /sizes that people buy. I've also had three out of five BS pedals fail out on the road with a band I used to tech for. I've never found them particularly great sounding either, just a bit bland.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1746

Wasn't an oversight Timmy. It was the smallest package that could contain all the electronics.

I might be biased but I do not believe anyone who looks inside an HT pedal, especially the Dual, can fail to be impressed with how compact it is without compromising noise or stability. Opened out you can JUST get the 3 main PCBs on an A4 sheet.

How the pedals sound will always be subjective as with amps and guitars and I do not and cannot defend that. But the thing is as small as it CAN be and get rid of about 12watts AND deliver the performance it does.

And remember! This is not some namby-pamby staved plate design. No, full 300 volts of ouch juice in there!

Dave.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Suprised nobody has mentioned the OCD yet, unless my distortion level threshold is a little lower than everyone else. :D
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1075
    I have a Kingsley Jouster, that's 2 channel with a pair of valves in it, like that a lot. Sounds great into a single channel amp, and very versatile. Plus being valve you can swap them out if you want to experiment with the pedal.

Also picked up a Fulldrive 3 last week, which I picked over a Wampler Paisley drive. Lovely pedal, and you can flip the pedal order (boost before or after OD).
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Is the HT Dual the only dual pedal Blackstar do? Didn't they do a HT-Fire or something that also had two channels?
    Drew_fx said:
    Is the HT Dual the only dual pedal Blackstar do? Didn't they do a HT-Fire or something that also had two channels?
    They do the LT-Dual as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    This is the one I was remembering...

• Drew_fx;272743" said:
    This is the one I was remembering...
    They have remade it, the ht-metal. I think it's the same but not a sig pedal.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    Just to bring this thread to life again, has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix EHx Tortion pedal? There's a video in the latest Guitarist vault (issue 383) through an AC30 and it sounds amazing.

Apparently it's using three JFET stages plus it has an XLR DI out with cab simulation. Is this likely to be a clone of the Bognor Ecstasy pedals?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Just to bring this thread to life again, has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix EHx Tortion pedal? There's a video in the latest Guitarist vault (issue 383) through an AC30 and it sounds amazing.

Apparently it's using three JFET stages plus it has an XLR DI out with cab simulation. Is this likely to be a clone of the Bognor Ecstasy pedals?
    I was wondering that as there are quite a few similarities.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I think the Blackstar needs better quality footswitches & control knobs. I really liked mine, but if its gonna die at a gig, ts not roadworthy
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Didn't want to create a thread just for this question so I'll ask here!

I've got a spare £50 to spend on a pedal and I am REALLY in need of a new distortion, the only one I currently own is a DS-1 which I have a love/hate relationship with. I've been looking at the DS-2 and it seems to divide opinions, I'm a massive fan of Frusciante so naturally I'm gravitating towards this pedal.

I've seen some (second hand) sell on Ebay for £25-£30 which seems like an absolute bargain. I tried a Rat and really didn't take to it, but I've not tried a DS-2 so would like someone's opinion.

(If anyone is selling one let me know!).
    MazzaG said:
    I've got a spare £50 to spend on a pedal and I am REALLY in need of a new distortion, the only one I currently own is a DS-1 which I have a love/hate relationship with. I've been looking at the DS-2 and it seems to divide opinions, I'm a massive fan of Frusciante so naturally I'm gravitating towards this pedal.

I've seen some (second hand) sell on Ebay for £25-£30 which seems like an absolute bargain. I tried a Rat and really didn't take to it, but I've not tried a DS-2 so would like someone's opinion.
    For that sort of money, just buy one. If you don't like it, sell it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What he said.

Or, you could try a big muff. Not a distortion, but fru uses it a lot (combines ds-2 with it for solos sometimes). That and a ds-1 stacked is not something I've tried but might work :)