Comments

• WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 148
    ICBM said:
    Volume knob been too close to the bridge pickup (I'm looking at you Mr. Fender), my fault for anchoring my picking hand, I guess.
    I don't anchor my hand at all, in fact I flail about like a demented ape , and it's right in the way for me too - I'm constantly bashing it with my knuckles. Strats should have the volume control about an inch lower down, and only one tone control.

Yes, similar to Jackson Dinky/Charvel San Dimas layout, I somehow manage to turn the volume knob down when playing strats, not a bad thing some would say!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    ICBM said:
    Volume knob been too close to the bridge pickup (I'm looking at you Mr. Fender), my fault for anchoring my picking hand, I guess.
    I don't anchor my hand at all, in fact I flail about like a demented ape , and it's right in the way for me too - I'm constantly bashing it with my knuckles. Strats should have the volume control about an inch lower down, and only one tone control.

Yes, similar to Jackson Dinky/Charvel San Dimas layout, I somehow manage to turn the volume knob down when playing strats, not a bad thing some would say!

Totally this, to the extent that I can't play Strats at all. The Squier Contemporary Active that I had was exactly as @ICBM suggested: perfect :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1168
    That there isn't one that gives me all the sounds I need/Tone chasing.
    Constant string changes.
    Lack of demand for the instrument (at least where I am based, anyway)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    What grinds my gears is why you put a capital G on Guitars!  ;)
    And now you’ve actually edited the thread title!!  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • the_butlerthe_butler Frets: 107

This is the easiest fix ever, only needs a philips screwdriver & wire cutters
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Usually not sticking to the "measure twice, cut once" mantra when working on guitars. Including its variations such as "make sure everything works as it should before closing everything up and restringing, you dimwit".

Oh, also strat switch position. Unlike others, the volume pot placement doesn't bother me, but I have an uncanny ability to flick the switch from position 5 to 4 when strumming.

Last one: Fender's colour selection for the vintera and American original lines.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    That, as YouTube keeps reminding me,  there is an apparently never-ending supply of players who are better than me by a ridiculous margin.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Relics. Wear and tear I am happy to live with, and I don’t worry when I dent or scratch a guitar. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Straps that take an age to set it at the 'correct' length.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Let me add packing up guitars to send off to the lovely folks that buy them. I never have the right boxes and it’s a game of wresting with sheets of cardboard and miles of brown tape 

Still, it’s done now and I can go to bed  :3
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited July 2020
    Gibson. I feel trapped into the brand because I've played that style of guitar for so long and everything else feels wrong. Love the sound and feel when you get a good one. As a company they seem pretty terrible (the whole lawsuit and play authentic ordeal) and appear to show no desire to innovate or improve their products which are riddled with their famous QC issues. Yet I still can't shake that I "need" a proper Les Paul - somehow the modern improved versions (PRS singlecut, ESP/LTD etc) just seem to be missing something tonally. Might just be confirmation bias though. Thinking logically there's no reason they can't sound the same if the materials, body shape, neck type, pickups etc are all equal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    i'm still as crap at playing 20+ years after starting. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    People on this forum who use the phrase "school me".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    People on this forum who use the phrase "school me".

There's lots of phrases used on here that bug the crap out of me  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Soldering the backs of pots.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    Tired old tropes like...

The gear doesn’t make the player.
    Tone is in the hands/fingers.
    X player didn’t need pedals etc etc etc.

Yes, I know. Everyone knows. Yawn off.

A special mention for ‘If you don’t like X modeller you’re using it wrong.’... or any dentist jokes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The refusal to move from a blueprint set down in the fifties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319

Tuning between standard, drop D, open G, down half a step - why do more or less all the songs i want to play require a retune to keep up with the record? - no wonder they're all half learnt.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    The confounding interactions between tone & volume.