Comments

• “People who buy a wah and then play it on all the songs. What else did you get for Christmas?”

stop pickin on Kirk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2633
    Dan_Halen said:
    Tired old tropes like...

The gear doesn’t make the player.
    Tone is in the hands/fingers.
    X player didn’t need pedals etc etc etc.

Yes, I know. Everyone knows. Yawn off.

A special mention for ‘If you don’t like X modeller you’re using it wrong.’... or any dentist jokes. 
    100% this. There's nothing I haven't loved about learning and playing guitar until I started visiting forums and running into these folks everywhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    Relics being sold in 'mint' condition. How would we know if they are lying and why would it matter?

'Wait, that dint there just above the other three that they did in the factory, I want some money off for that...'
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Lack of real scientific testing of gear.

Example: here are three pedals. I recorded this dry signal to my DAW and will reamp through the pedals into a <insert amp name here> and use the exact same cab impulse response. Let's see what differences they have.

Community: BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FEEEEEEEEL
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Lack of real scientific testing of gear.

Example: here are three pedals. I recorded this dry signal to my DAW and will reamp through the pedals into a <insert amp name here> and use the exact same cab impulse response. Let's see what differences they have.

Community: BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FEEEEEEEEL
    That's more than a pet peeve for me, that's proper despair material.

There's pretty much zero reliable testing been done on any guitar gear and it makes so much of the info available redundant.

It seems the majority of people aren't even aware of the limitations of perception; i.e. a lot of people really believe that what hear is the sound that is being produced. That's understandable and natural to think that until finding out otherwise.

Just as useless as not doing any kind of test is doing your example above but then not listening to them blind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The thing we reamping is with drive pedals I find I play differently with 2 different pedals depending on how each one compresses my signal as I dig in. If you reamp you can look at a waveform and listen carefully and be 100% sure how they are different, but you can't necessarily judge how each would make you play differently. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Onto personal ground gears, Fender's overly-mint scratchplates. I love a good 60's-style Strat as much as anyone but they make their guards so frickin green they usually just look awful. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Snobbery.

About all things from using the volume control on your guitar as if it's somehow more "musicianly" than stepping on a pedal, to not using the "right" type of guitar or amp for a particular sound, to not playing a song "correctly"...

If you play a guitar and your audience - even if that's just yourself - enjoy it, that's all that matters.

And I'm probably guilty of some aspects of it too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    The thing we reamping is with drive pedals I find I play differently with 2 different pedals depending on how each one compresses my signal as I dig in. If you reamp you can look at a waveform and listen carefully and be 100% sure how they are different, but you can't necessarily judge how each would make you play differently. 

That's a very good point. It could be a better test for someone to play a new part for each pedal aiming for the same goal. Would require multiple rounds of testing though.

One of the benefits of using plugin amp modelers is that you can later adjust the amp sound to fit the mix. But it's not necessarily the case that recording a dry direct signal then adding the amp sim later will work as well for the reason mentioned above.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    Intonation .Never bothered  much apart from an initial set up ,no ones ever noticed .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Another one - when people don't take the stickers off guitars. So often you see 5-year old Fenders with the CE and RoHS labels still on the neck plate, or even worse STILL WITH THE CELLOPHANE ON THE PICKGUARD.

And don't get my started about that little USA flag on Rickenbackers. Some people even go and find new ones of those to replace them when they get knackered...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited November 2020
    Another one - when people don't take the stickers off guitars. So often you see 5-year old Fenders with the CE and RoHS labels still on the neck plate, or even worse STILL WITH THE CELLOPHANE ON THE PICKGUARD.

And don't get my started about that little USA flag on Rickenbackers. Some people even go and find new ones of those to replace them when they get knackered...
    Couldn’t agree more. 

I’m also not a fan of stickers that were placed over serial numbers being removed with something so sharp that the serial number is removed in the process.....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 222
    edited November 2020
    half @rsed cover bands!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    mooncat said:
    Taking so long to learn a song, That by the time you get it down your sick to death of it.
    So you take a break from it for a couple of weeks and then go back to it and can't remember how to play the damn thing
    edited November 2020
    lol cringe
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    AndyJP said:
    shit cover bands!
    NOW you tell me!!  =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2020
    Lev said:
    mooncat said:
    Taking so long to learn a song, That by the time you get it down your sick to death of it.
    So you take a break from it for a couple of minutes and then go back to it and can't remember how to play the damn thing
    FTFY! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Guitarists that criticize other guitarists for "showing off" just because they're intimidated by their technical proficiency. There was a young lad in here a while back posting his Crazy Train cover & some of the responders needed to give their heads a good wobble.

Not everyone needs to be a dentist playing wannabe blues at the weekend, y'know ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 222
    edited November 2020
    @Voxman guess Just fed up listening to the half a$$ed ones.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    @AndyJP being 'not great' on guitar is quite normal.  Nothing to worry about .
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum