Comments

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Bright shiny chrome screws on black guards and pickup rings. Tele delux being a prime example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    scrumhalf said:
    I've always thought that Freebird was an over-long dirge.
    FTFY ;-)

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    scrumhalf said:
    I've always thought that Freebird was an over-long dirge until the solos kick in. 
    I usually fast forward to the solo bit, which could actually be longer, for me.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    edited July 2020
    I miss seeing John Ou and Mike_V knocking chunks out of each other.

Secondly, I hate it when people refer to acoustic guitar playing as either being fingerstyle or strumming and completely overlooking the universe of amazing musicianship that is proper flatpicking.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The reverse snobbery that sometimes comes up on online communities.

Not that normal snobbery is good, we're just used to laughing that off when peddled by suckers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Unloading and loading gear when there's no parking space.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Year of birth guitars... It makes literally no difference and you will end up selling it.

Ooh I don't usually like blue Les Paul's but I love that 
    ........ Lies... You like blue les paul then. 

"Oh please dont bump this again it's torture I may have to buy it" ........... You won't buy it.

"I wouldn't buy a guitar that's made in the far east"....... But you will pay 1k for an iPhone, or Samsung s20? 

Feeler..... I don't really want to sell.. Don't bloody sell it then. 

Trade only no cash price..... So your going to turn down the means to buy any guitar you desire? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2256
    thegummy said:
    The reverse snobbery that sometimes comes up on online communities.

Not that normal snobbery is good, we're just used to laughing that off when peddled by suckers.
    Ability Snobbery, usually practiced by the same people who practice reverse snobbery and in conjuction with. Making guitar playing a competition to gain some form of self affirmed importance, but failing to understand it's nothing more than a pastime to most and not how they define themselves. Takes pride in using economy gear whilst belittling those of less ability who use more expensive gear, as if the cost of gear should be directly related to ability. Tells you how they are better than "the guitarist of the year" but never enters because it's "meaningless". Tells you Mayer plays fake blues pop, but has never made any real money from playing guitar and still lives with his mum at 30. Tells you the names of every jazz chord he plays in replacement of the actual powerchords used in the original version, whilst playing.

Yes I know this person.... and there are many others out there. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    People who think playing fast equates to playing well.

The rock guitarist image.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Seeing a guitar player being discussed and "note choice" being mentioned as if it's just another aspect of technique, equal to tapping or hybrid picking.

When in reality note choice is the music and 99% of what matters.

"That Mozart had great note choice but how was his vibrato?"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 198
    The ridiculous hype and inflated prices of 'vintage' guitars. Especially japanese and american ones.
    The price of brand new guitars.
    The phrases 'pedal platform'. Les Paul Killer, case candy.
    People who bang on about flames and quilting instead of how well it plays.
    The idea of spending thousands on guitars, valve amps only to put it through a massive pedalboard that renders them unrecognisable.

There. I said it.

I agree with all of those points except the price of new guitars - if you take into account inflation, they are actually getting cheaper compared to guitars from only a few years ago.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    PRS blade switch not being in a similar position to a Strat. Twin volumes on Gibson style guitars Getting dragged into guitar brand snobbery when I know it's idiotic. Being absolutely crap at playing nice sounding stretchy finger chords 'cos I ain't got stretchy fingers. HSS Strat scratchplates where the H could be in any of about 5000 locations somewhere between the middle pickup and the actual bridge... that's enough for today :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Devil#20 said:
    The control plate on a Telecaster. The switch in the bridge position is too close to the rotary volume control.  
    You're absolutely right.  However... I bought some plates with the volume control further from the switch and when I fitted one I didn't like it, it looked weird.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1360
    thegummy said:
    Seeing a guitar player being discussed and "note choice" being mentioned as if it's just another aspect of technique, equal to tapping or hybrid picking.

When in reality note choice is the music and 99% of what matters.

"That Mozart had great note choice but how was his vibrato?"
    The lack of recognition of timing being just as important as note choice :)

You make a good point however.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    People who moan on guitar forums about the shape of the Epiphone headstock.  It is what it is so buy a Gibson if you can't live with the Epi version.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    When you perfect a solo you've worked on for weeks, then realise you practiced it all sitting down and now have slow it down to practice it standing up....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Fretboards with radius on a plucked instrument like the guitar. Are you going to bow it? Oh, it's better for chords. Is it? Don't classical guitar players play chords too?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitarists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    People who moan on guitar forums about the shape of the Epiphone headstock.  It is what it is so buy a Gibson if you can't live with the Epi version.
    I find it very strange that they'd care about the headstock being the "right" shape but be totally fine with the brand name being wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom