Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The NFL Thread (may contain spoilers!)

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited September 2020 in Off Topic
First game of the new season tonight. Who else on here follows it, and who’s your team?

I looking forward to a “slightly better than last year but still likely to be a losing season” by the unnamed team based near Washington. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I normally follow the Washington whatevers (?) having watched some games at their stadium a few years ago.
    Patriots for the Superb owl? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392 said:
    I normally follow the Washington whatevers (?) having watched some games at their stadium a few years ago.
    Patriots for the Superb owl? 
    It’ll sure be interesting to see how Cam Newton fits in at the Patriots. Without a preseason there’s a lot look out for in Week 1. 

• RichRich Frets: 18
    Raiders fan here! Not expecting too much although last season was an improvement on the previous one and the Vegas move might help somehow, mightn’t it?
  • Steelers fan here - haven’t followed a season properly for a couple of years, but aiming to this season :) I can’t believe the price of GamePass nowadays though, that can p*ss off!
  • Saints fan here. Can’t wait for the season to start. 

Game pass is ridiculous, and the block the games that are on Sky anyway. I will be buying a one day pass when I want to watch, but otherwise make do with YouTube highlight and the Around the NFL podcast, which is great.

I think it will be pretty odd with no fans (if it starts at all). Should be some great games though - lots is talent in the league at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dolphins man here. Going to be very interesting how the new additions and continuing rebuild go this year. Looking forward to seeing Tua in action but hoping they allow him the time and space to learn from Fitzmagic. 

Realistically though, finishing third in the AFC East would be a decent result. 

Think there’s a good chance of a KC Chiefs Repeat but I’d like to see the Titans go well

• It’s a lot, but the “Game in 40” on Gamepass makes it for me, my eldest lad has got into it so we’ll get our use out of it. I prefer being able to watch a couple of whole games each week, then loads of 40mins ones instead of just the highlights shows. Speaking of which Channel 5 have a new free to air program, and the BBC one. 

We’ve got Now TV access to Sky Sports for the F1 so that’s also giving us their new NFL channel and blackout games! All in we’re set for coverage. 

My money would also be on the Chiefs making it back to the SB, unless Mahomes gets injured.  

• Rams fan here. Hoping they won’t fade towards the end of the season again.. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Go Pack! Another year of fuck all! 
  • Can't wait for season to start! 
    Some shite news for OBJ too ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Some shite news for OBJ too ;-)
    Sounds like a load of crap to me
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    Just curious, how do you in the UK go about picking your NFL team?

I like EPL, hard to follow it closely here in the States but when I first started I figured I'd just go for Liverpool only because it's where the Beatles were from.  I had no reason to pick any one team over another that I could think of otherwise.  But that was back when Gerrard was young, I couldn't name a player at this point.
  • @Cranky - for me it’s because Pittsburgh have strong ties to my home county (Cornwall), to the point of wearing our flag’s colours etc. I figured that was enough of a ‘connection’ for my needs, so went with the Steelers. :)

When I was a kid I followed the Dolphins because of Dan Merino’s performance in Ace Ventura!  =)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Cranky said:

I like EPL, hard to follow it closely here in the States but when I first started I figured I'd just go for Liverpool only because it's where the Beatles were from.  I had no reason to pick any one team over another that I could think of otherwise.  But that was back when Gerrard was young, I couldn't name a player at this point.

I think I started following the Steelers as I liked Bill Cowher, and seeing Rod Woodson cause mayhem.

Got to be better this season than last season for the Steelers.  Bit worried about the D Line though in a division that will be run heavy.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Cowboys fan here.  I know I know but I did work in Dallas in the early 90s so you sort of get sucked in.  Expecting the standard pre-season hullabaloo to turn into the usual 7 and 9-ish crushing disappointment as it has every season for the last 20 plus years.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Been interested in NFL since the '80's and don't really have a team per se although I followed SF during Joe Montana's reign. 

Again this year I can't see past KC as Mahomes is simply fantastic.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Cranky said:

Easy.

I lived in Pittsburgh for several years in the 80's so I'm a big Philadelphia Eagles fan...

Kidding of course. Steelers all the way. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3888
    Cranky said:

I used to live in New York surrounded by Giants and Jets fans so the Patriots were an obvious choice....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    edited December 2020
    When Channel 4 first started showing coverage of the NFL in about 84 or 85 (when I was about 10 years old) it was right as Dan Marino was in his pomp. That and the uniform colours and I was sold on the Dolphins. Stuck with them since 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rams Fan here, Started supporting them back in the 80's watching on Channel 4. I suppose I just picked one of the less obvious teams.,not the  Dolphins ,Raiders ,Redskins etc.They weren't a bad team either in the 80's. 

I have the NFL pass on my Firestick. The "game in 40" option is great as I get to watch pretty much every game.