Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The NFL Thread (may contain spoilers!)

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Slept until nearly mid day after that.

Still not happy about the Steelers taking a running back when the blocking isn't there.

Hopefully Creed Humphrey or Landon DIckerson are still there in the second round.

There weren't many real headscratchers though.  There is normally at least one pick that most pundits had as a third rounder who someone picks in the first.  There weren't any like that last night.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    crunchman said:

Still not happy about the Steelers taking a running back when the blocking isn't there.

Hopefully Creed Humphrey or Landon DIckerson are still there in the second round.

There weren't many real headscratchers though.  There is normally at least one pick that most pundits had as a third rounder who someone picks in the first.  There weren't any like that last night.
    Steelers could have picked another WR instead of a RB.  
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1186
    edited May 2021
    Giants fan. Existence is pain.
    That did make me chuckje. The pitfalls of being a sports fan. I don't think Toney is that a bad pick, what would have preferred?

There seem to be a few rumours Aaron Rodgers wants out of the Packers, I can't imagine he's very happy they once again didn't pick a WR in the first round.  I thought they were pretty good at CB with Jaire Alexander being one of the better ones in the NFL.
    The pick doesn't bother me. The blatant collusion between NFCE rivals to swipe Devonta Smith from under our feet infuriates me.

Yeah each week it feels like the packers do something to alienate Rodgers. If it's not drafting an offensive player for 10 years it's drafting Rodgers' replacement when they do finally go offense.

Part of me hopes all these extra picks that Gettleman has been collecting from trade downs could be used to bring A A Ron in. Probably not though.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The pick doesn't bother me. The blatant collusion between NFCE rivals to swipe Devonta Smith from under our feet infuriates me.

Yeah each week it feels like the packers do something to alienate Rodgers. If it's not drafting an offensive player for 10 years it's drafting Rodgers' replacement when they do finally go offense.

Part of me hopes all these extra picks that Gettleman has been collecting from trade downs could be used to bring A A Ron in. Probably not though.
    A win for using a Key and Peele reference.

Sorry to ask but could you eloborate on the Devonta Smith issue?  Bears seemed to have done really well in the draft, good QB and OL.

• Giaearwighoney said:

Sorry to ask but could you eloborate on the Devonta Smith issue?  Bears seemed to have done really well in the draft, good QB and OL.

Giants made it very clear for a while that Devonta Smith was going to be the pick at 11. Cowboys trade down with Eagles just so they can jump Giants and take him. For the record, no team in their right mind trades down in-division, but looks like Cowboys and Eagles hate the Giants more than they like themselves.

As if throwing the final game of the season just so Giants wouldn't get playoffs wasn't bad enough, Eagles go and collude with another NFC East team to spite the G men.
    Giants made it very clear for a while that Devonta Smith was going to be the pick at 11. Cowboys trade down with Eagles just so they can jump Giants and take him. For the record, no team in their right mind trades down in-division, but looks like Cowboys and Eagles hate the Giants more than they like themselves.

As if throwing the final game of the season just so Giants wouldn't get playoffs wasn't bad enough, Eagles go and collude with another NFC East team to spite the G men.

You were spot on

I'm not a fan of any team, but I'm getting to understand why the Eagles are so despised across the NFL.
    edited May 2021
    Giaearwighoney said:

Not sure they did it just to spite the Giants.  They obviously wanted him for themselves.

I actually think it's worked out better for Giants this way.  I wouldn't want to spend a really high draft pick on a WR.  It's an overvalued position.  It's 14 years since a Superbowl winning team contained an All Pro wide receiver.  Top receivers command ridiculous wages once their rookie contract is finished, and kill the salary cap.  You do need good receivers, but it's more important how good your tight ends and number 3 and 4 receivers are.  They are the guys who can get the matchups on a linebacker or a dodgy dime corner.

Toney should be a good player.  According to Peter King, Urban Meyer said it broke his heart when the Giants selected Toney at 20, as Jacksonville wanted him at 25.  I'd take Toney plus an additional first round pick next year over Devonta Smith any day.

Where I would be very upset about the Eagles if I was a Giants fan is they way they tanked in the last game of the season against Washington.  That was completely out of order.
  • Oh believe me, I hope we get Eagles week 1 at the MetLife and slap them up and down the field for 60 minutes. Make a mockery of their pathetic franchise and their insufferable fanbase.
    crunchman said:
    Giaearwighoney said:

Not sure they did it just to spite the Giants.  They obviously wanted him for themselves.

I actually think it's worked out better for Giants this way.  I wouldn't want to spend a really high draft pick on a WR.  It's an overvalued position.  It's 14 years since a Superbowl winning team contained an All Pro wide receiver.  Top receivers command ridiculous wages once their rookie contract is finished, and kill the salary cap.  You do need good receivers, but it's more important how good your tight ends and number 3 and 4 receivers are.  They are the guys who can get the matchups on a linebacker or a dodgy dime corner.

Toney should be a good player.  According to Peter King, Urban Meyer said it broke his heart when the Giants selected Toney at 20, as Jacksonville wanted him at 25.  I'd take Toney plus an additional first round pick next year over Devonta Smith any day.

Where I would be very upset about the Eagles if I was a Giants fan is they way they tanked in the last game of the season against Washington.  That was completely out of order.
    Agree, about going for a WR in the draft, over other positions if needed like OT. Like others I couldn't understand why the Bengals didn't draft Sewell to protect Burrow and went for Ja'Marr Chase instead.
    Anyone watching any of the warm up matches?

Justin Fields looks excellent. 

Still not sure about Tua though...

Can't be bothered with the pre-season games.  Just following the major news and reports on the Steelers.

Does anyone here do fantasy?
    crunchman said:

Can't be bothered with the pre-season games.  Just following the major news and reports on the Steelers.

Does anyone here do fantasy?
    It was either a warm up match or the 100.

So it was the warm up match.
    Kickoff nearly here.  They are showing the Steelers-Bills game on Sky.
  • Nice to see the Giants are still awful. Really makes it easy to follow them.
  • So pleasing to see a Dolphins win over the Patriots in week 1
    edited September 2021
    the_jaffa said:
    So pleasing to see a Dolphins win over the Patriots in week 1

It's nice to see anyone win against the Patriots, except the Browns, Ravens, and Bungles.
  • Nice to see the Giants are still awful. Really makes it easy to follow them.

It could be worse, you could support the Jets.  Seeing how Darnold's faring with the Panthers, it looks like the Jets are a graveyard for QB's.

Two matches in and Tampa Bay look like the best team by quite some margin.
    Nice to see the Giants are still awful. Really makes it easy to follow them.

It could be worse, you could support the Jets.  Seeing how Darnold's faring with the Panthers, it looks like the Jets are a graveyard for QB's.

Two matches in and Tampa Bay look like the best team by quite some margin.

Tampa will fade.  They are an aging team.  They will wear down as the season goes on.  That defensive line is great at the moment, but Suh is 34, Pierre-Paul is 32, and McClendon is 35.  They will pick up wear and tear and injuries.

On the offensive side, Brady is on borrowed time, Gronk is 32 with a long history of injuries, and Antonio Brown is a shadow of his former self.  The NFC South isn't a good division so they will probably win it, and get a home playoff game, but I'd be looking at a younger team to win it in January.  
    crunchman said:

Just bumping this thread for the draft, seems you were in the know about Creed Humphrey, he had a great Rookie season.

For the NFL fans how did you think your teams did in the draft?

As an impartial follower, I'm perplexed by some of the picks. 
    As a Steelers fan I'm not enthralled by the Pickett pick.  Hopefully he's better than the Andy Dalton comparisons.

No other QBs in the first round is quite a surprise.

Jacksonville have taken a big risk with the number one pick.  Walker is very athletic but his college production wasn't great - especially on a defence with players like Jordan Davis to disrupt the middle.