Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shocked and appalled

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited September 2020
    Sassafras said:
    I'll be the one to say they've got mental health issues and we should all feel sorry for them being total arseholes
    You know what...on this occasion I think I fully agree with you. The guy just isn't right in the head and has an ego so big that it could sink the Titanic. Yet his followers hang on to his every word like he's the second coming. Reminded me of a malevolent Tommy! Lol. Go figure.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Appalled, but not at all shocked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    edited September 2020
    There are a few people on the usual guitar FB groups that seem to think they run the internet, trouble is they have built up a following of sheep that back them up. This chaps name doesn’t begin with a J by any chance?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sadly we live in an age when tolerance and just generally observing rule 1 (don't be a d**k) are not exactly valued. Social media certainly plays a part but is also a reflection of that wider trend I think.

The rise of trump/Brexit etc is very often presented as a manifestation of the left-behind finally having an outlet to stick it to the established order. There is an element of that but I tend to think a more potent driver behind it is that these leaders/movements give people licence/validation to be obnoxious aresholes - cf "sticking it to the libtards", enough of experts, it's ok to be a bit racist and I've had enough of the metropolitan elite making me feel bad about it, etc. And - so that I don't take sides too blatantly - people with the opposite opinions are also disincentivised to be understanding or measured in return.

The problem is that these behaviours that are glorified in public life and the media are then reinforced and people have even less of a filter on social media, because they feel like compromise or being mindful of others is for suckers.

Vicious cycle.

Sorry, bit of a sideways rant there, and I'm fully aware arseholes on the internet predated all this, but I'm genuinely convinced it doesn't help.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • There are Know-alls like that everywhere. Just laugh at them.

Only thing I know is that if you ain't got a Dumble Amp, you can't seriously call yourself a Guitarist.

:) 

:3 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of my friends once said that the great thing about the Internet is that it allows anyone to express their opinions freely... and the bad thing is that it means you learn the opinions of people who really should have kept them in their heads 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • They’re just sad pricks on Facebook, absolutely don’t worry about it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    One of my friends once said that the great thing about the Internet is that it allows anyone to express their opinions freely... and the bad thing is that it means you learn the opinions of people who really should have kept them in their heads 
    The thing is that years ago you'd see them in the pub, but you could move to the other end of the bar, or have a different table - You knew who they were and stayed apart - Be it the sad git in the corner, or the loud mouthed know it all - They are the same people but now work in a global environment and not the Kings Head
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842

It’s a shock to the system, when you witness something like that, worse still when you’re the target.
    I dare say I’ve learned more from your posts that I’ve read on here, than I would ever learn from him, and others like him, in a lifetime..

I actually deactivated my Facebook account almost a year ago, and I feel so much better for it. It wasn’t any one thing, like you’ve just been through, it was just a gradual wearing down process, for me..

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    photek said:
    There are a few people on the usual guitar FB groups that seem to think they run the internet, trouble is they have built up a following of sheep that back them up. This chaps name doesn’t begin with a J by any chance?

B - Of all the letters in the alphabet to choose from, funny you should pick that one! ...anyway, I got the flock out of there!!  BTW, just so there's no confusion with any others with a J that are goodies, you might want to guess the first letter of the surname too.
    Sheep special How to meet the needs of mid-pregancy ewes - NEWS - Farmers  Guardian
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited September 2020
    usedtobe said:

It’s a shock to the system, when you witness something like that, worse still when you’re the target.
    I dare say I’ve learned more from your posts that I’ve read on here, than I would ever learn from him, and others like him, in a lifetime..

I actually deactivated my Facebook account almost a year ago, and I feel so much better for it. It wasn’t any one thing, like you’ve just been through, it was just a gradual wearing down process, for me..

You're very kind...but then the Fretboard is a nice place to be, lots of talent, wisdom and good humour from warm supportive and giving folk. Kind of spoils you, so when you come across the dark side it's kind of a shock by comparison!    Also of course, FB groups aren't moderated...other than by the group owner! 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    What would you say his best / most offensive phrase was?
    horse said:
    Too many to choose a favourite from!   :)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I find people who strive for antagonism and conflict online are often compensating for something in real life. 

No they don't you f**king bellend, what the f**k are you talking about you c**t.

:3 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    Voxman said:
    horse said:
    Too many to choose a favourite from!   :)
     Excellent - share a selection of the finest moments!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    The shame is farcebeak can be a read positive force for good but unfortunately there is always the arsehole quotient to deal with.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I block people who wind me up. There's a lot of them now haha
  • To think all this was set up to allow a few dozen scientists to speak to each other. And they all knew each other anyway.

Fuck Facebook.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • rossirossi Frets: 1741
    When I see a uncalled for  rant I just put a laugh emojie .Thats what its there for .Idiots  never liked to be laughed at at least not in modern times.Another quick call for  sad gear monsters (SGM's) is to ask them where they play or played .Most never leave their bedroom.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Voxman said:
    ... calling me a scaredy cat and running away when I said I was leaving the group
    There's your problem.

Here's what you do when you leave a sh*te group, you exit quietly via the back door and don't look back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom