Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 10 Best Signature model guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited October 2020

I think of a signature model as being the product of collaboration with the artist and in someway outside of the norm.  For me,  many of those in the list are more what I would call replica 'tribute' models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Now I'm thinking '80s and '90s, Blues Saraceno:

80s guitar  Page 4  SevenStringorg
    1996 Samick TV Twenty - BlackYellowBlue Plaid - Blues  Reverb

Actually I meant blues Saracen not stevie salas lol, I remember the tartan ones, he also endorsed guyatone pedals didn’t he? 
  • Those tartan guitars are awesome ,especially the green one 
  • VintageVintage Frets: 97
    Telecaster Andy summers
    Les paul custom RR
    Stratocaster Jeff Beck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I think Gretsch do some great sig models, beyond the expected Atkins and Setzer stuff. 

The George Harrison and Stephen Stills are my favourite two. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1790
    edited October 2020
    Philly_Q said:
     I’m sure Steve Stevens , and stevie salas had other signatures in the 80s and 90s but can’t remember who made them  

Steve Stevens' first signature models were Hamers, then he was with Washburn for a while.  Stevie Salas had a Hamer too - not sure if it was an actual sig model - then at some point he endorsed Yamaha Weddington LP types.  And again, he had a Washburn model.
    Yeah, Stevie Salas had a few Hamers, mainly based on Californians, not a signature model however. 

A VERY rare Hamer signature model is the Jeff Watson model (Night Ranger). It never made the catalogues and there are probably less than 40 ever made, all as custom orders for customers from about 1990 to 2008. This model is about as cool as Hamers get.

Vernon Reid has some custom order Hamers which bridges some of the Hamer superstrat models, and were unique, but never made as a model which could be ordered by regular punters. He posted a photo of some of these on Instagram the other day. A friend of mine has one of his old ones.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    A VERY rare Hamer signature model is the Jeff Watson model (Night Ranger). It never made the catalogues and there are probably less than 40 ever made, all as custom orders for customers from about 1990 to 2008. This model is about as cool as Hamers get.

I remember those.  A bit like the Sunburst shape, or maybe more like the Mirage, with a neck single coil and lots of frets!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

I remember those.  A bit like the Sunburst shape, or maybe more like the Mirage, with a neck single coil and lots of frets!
    That’s the one :) PJ Marx pickups, 27 frets and usually a TOM with a fine tuning tailpiece. Supercool.

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

• I generally can't stand signature guitars but I wouldn't say no to a Martin 000-28EC or Asher Marc Ford sig.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited October 2020
    I generally can't stand signature guitars but I wouldn't say no to a Martin 000-28EC or Asher Marc Ford sig.
    Is the Les Paul in your profile pic yours?

=) 

Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    I started selling guitars, full time, in 1978 - Take out the obvious Les Paul model, and a signature model barely existed on the market place then - Today the market is loaded with such models - Granted, before 1978, we had many jazz based players with a signature model/endorsee model produced for them 

I'm trying to think if the question should be about has any signature model been brought to the market that is fresh and new, with additional features - As against just putting another players name and maybe a distinctive finish, to what is already an existing model - 100's of variations of a Strat, that are effectively the same thing

The Jem 777V is a contender, for fresh and new - But something like the new K Wayne Shepherd is just another name on the same Strat 

I'd personally pick the PRS DGT as it would suit me and a guitar I could live with for many years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the synyster Gates sig. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    I generally can't stand signature guitars but I wouldn't say no to a Martin 000-28EC or Asher Marc Ford sig.
    Is the Les Paul in your profile pic yours?

=) 

It is and I take your point though I don't think a Les Paul is a signature guitar in the sense that we use the term nowadays. The Les Paul represented a whole new line of guitars from Gibson. For me, a signature guitar is not a new guitar design associated with an artist but one that is simply meant to represent a particular guitar that an artist is known to have owned and use. Rather than a new body design it is more likely to be a copy of an artist's own guitar – most likely an existing production guitar that has been modded with special pickups and the like.

Thinking about this, the Asher Marc Ford probably isn't a signature guitar by my definition and is more like the Les Paul in being a unique model inspired by or designed in conjunction with the musician.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1529
    edited October 2020
    By the way, I think we can all agree that the most egregious example of a signature guitar is the Chapman Lee Anderton. o

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/chapman-ml1-cap10-lee-anderton-signature-in-white

"When Rob suggested that I design my own Chapman model, I took the basic Chapman ML1 design, changed the fret board, pickups, scratch plate and colour so that it looked a bit more like my Strat." =) 
  • I posted on the article, but I’ll say it again on here: the PRS SE Mark Holcomb that I had was a really good guitar: the pickups in particular were magnificent
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    The regular Gibson les Paul?

The Gibson Trini Lopez?

Mary Kaye Strat?

St.Vincent Musicman?

Ibanez Jem?

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited October 2020
    Fender Jim Root strat/Tele need a mention surely! One of the very few Fender guitars that isn't your standard boring old vintage inspired number. Not keen on the jazzmaster though.

I actually quite like the look and spec of the Chapman Rabea Tele thing as well, apart from the headstock. 

The LTD Bill Kelliher Eclipse is getting all my attention though. Great player/band and this guitar looks so good (though could be improved with a silverburst finish instead of the green). Everything I want in a modern Les Paul Custom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Is the Gibson N Lucas the 1st signature guitar ?
    tFB Trader
    Is the Gibson N Lucas the 1st signature guitar ?
    None of the big pop/rock stars of the 60's Clapton, Page, Beck, Beatles etc had a signature model back in the day - This was left to the jazzers - B Kessel and Tal Farlow etc

So who was the first rock/pop star to have a solid body/non arch top signature model - The Framus Jan Ackkerman in the early 70's is one of the first I recall - Anyone before then ?

Who had the first Fender signature model ? - Without looking it up I'm guessing EC or Malmsteen 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1790
    edited October 2020

So who was the first rock/pop star to have a solid body/non arch top signature model - The Framus Jan Ackkerman in the early 70's is one of the first I recall - Anyone before then ?

Mosrite Ventures that was in the 60s IIRC?

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1