What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23718
    edited September 2023
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Sunbomb - Evil or Devine ( @Philly_Q have you heard this?)

@Reverend I haven't... and hadn't heard of it either, or if I had I'd forgotten.  Although on paper it looks like the kind of thing I might like, I've never been a fan of either Stryper or L.A. Guns.  But I'll give it a go if you recommend it!

@Hoof thanks for the reminder that there's a new Kvelertak album.
    its less hollywood hair metal, more epic doom metal. Think Candlemass and Sorceror
    OK, that sounds promising.

Edit:  Yes, it's interesting, and very "different" considering who's involved.  Almost reminded me of Fifth Angel a couple of times.  I'm not sure I like Sweet's voice, but it's hard to judge on first listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQKjffxIOY

The descending violin and bass riff at 4min approx is so addictive.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29196
    Traindodge. A bit Rival Schools meets Torche but very much their own thing. Post hardcore without any growling or screaming.

And Dirge, who are chugtastic.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29196
    And for a bit of contrast, I finally remembered that Kite Hill is by D*Note, not u-ziq. Which is why I couldn't find it.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • The Genesis OGWT concert from 1980 on BBC4.

I find it a bit odd. The band were stuck musically and visually in full prog mode with no apparent concession to times having moved on. Which is either brilliant or terrible and they had an audience but maybe painted themselves into a corner of being a bit of a cult act (in the UK). I like the slightly later poppier stuff and all these epic choons with drum fills that last two minutes just meld into background noise for me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Russian krautrock/psych/whatever band from Perm, Ural, now residing in Slovenia. One of better discoveries from recent years

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Today I had a listen to some Greta Van Fleet albums (which are OK), and then for some reason I decided to listen to a couple of Pete Way's old bands - Fastway (which he quit to join Ozzy's band for about five minutes) and Waysted (who I saw supporting Dio in 1983).  Both pretty dreadful, in retrospect.
    edited October 2023
  • Kerbdog self titled debut album, it just never gets old.. one of my faves
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16423
    Philly_Q said:
    Today I had a listen to some Greta Van Fleet albums (which are OK), and then for some reason I decided to listen to a couple of Pete Way's old bands - Fastway (which he quit to join Ozzy's band for about five minutes) and Waysted (who I saw supporting Dio in 1983).  Both pretty dreadful, in retrospect.
    I had, IIRC, the first Fastway single on 12” which was an okay Led Zep type thing I think although at the time having expected something more like Motörhead it was a bit disappointing. When I caught up with what I’d missed with later incarnations they had turned a bit hair metal. Pete, I think, had left before the first recordings had even come out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Philly_Q said:
    I had, IIRC, the first Fastway single on 12” which was an okay Led Zep type thing I think although at the time having expected something more like Motörhead it was a bit disappointing. When I caught up with what I’d missed with later incarnations they had turned a bit hair metal. Pete, I think, had left before the first recordings had even come out. 
    I didn't get through the whole Fastway album (it was the first one) but too many of the songs seemed to have a boogie/rock'n'roll kind of feel which I really don't like.  Maybe I should've persevered.  Waysted I know much better, but they're exactly as I remembered them - a couple of really good sleazy rock songs, but two thirds of the material is just poor.  And it gets worse on the later albums.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 363
    Mark Kozelek was the king back in the day
    My favourite version of a great song.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
     Unknown Mortal Orchestra’s album “V” from earlier this year is creeping into my number 1 spot as fav record of the year. Some great songwriting and some killer guitar tones throughout.

https://youtu.be/KN4ZIrNES9Y?si=0xLMFc8jvDss4Ey6

Brilliant live as well, Tiny Desk here:

https://youtu.be/1Wg2huulil4?si=kBGI5mANjMik6hJA
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 887
    Sweet Desire

Just found out about these guys today ... very interesting ... sounds 70s-familiar but they are in fact teenagers/early 20s and current. They even dress/look like they're from 50 years ago.

I like'em ... a lot! :+1:  Have a listen:

https://spotify.link/Nn1jFis6FDb
  • Bob Mould killing it as usual with Superchunk guys behind him

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 363
    edited October 2023
    Bob Mould killing it as usual with Superchunk guys behind him
    Flip Your Lid wins 

I saw them live when they were touring Copper Blue in the early 90's and he had the same guitar!

• Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

One of my fave albums if you've never heard it it's well worth a listen.

Opening track