• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    edited November 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The new long-playing record from South London's finest:

Great record from a great band.
    mo6020 said:
    I'm still on a seemingly neverending binge through modern americana...

@mo6020 I'm intrigued that you can like Green Lung and Americana!  I cannot stand Americana, I find it absolutely unbearable.  That's in no way a criticism of your musical tastes, I'm the one with the hangups...
    Hah - I'm 41 and came of age listening to the Seattle bands, American hard rock/metal, and punk/hardcore, but I have always enjoyed a good singer with an acoustic guitar that's telling a story.

When I got introduced to the Stones and other classic rock bands in my mid-teens I followed the trail of their influences back to American roots music, and then worked my way back. One of my final papers at college was actually on the evolution of modern popular music from the '30s to the present day (it was '00 when I had to do it).

It's left me in a position where I still like big fat visceral riffs, but also the bluesy/rootsy stuff. Having spent an absolute boatload of time in the Appalachians and the US south probably doesn't hurt either... 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    Philly_Q said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The new long-playing record from South London's finest:

Me too….
     Mmm??..love the first two albums but not too sure yet with this one
    Can’t wait to see them in Wolves in a couple of weeks.
    On first listen I was slightly dismayed to hear there are some mellow tracks, on second listen I was already liking it more.  I think it's going to grow on me.  I wasn't that crazy about Black Harvest on the first few listens either, and now I love it to bits.

And it's (probably) good that they've broadened their sound.  Sometimes with the earlier stuff, although it's fantastic, I do think the songs are a bit samey... which of course may be part of the reason I like them so much.  Love one, love 'em all.
    Great shout. Been listening to this all week. Not my usual bag so feeling a little bit outside my comfort zone but just going with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also enjoying the new Green Lung album. 
  • I keep coming back to this live performance of Barr Brother on KEXP. The build on the first track is a joy, what a release when it arrives.

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1268
     Life and Love. New Ep by Nolan Taylor.

And for some reason while working I've taken to just putting all Kings of Leon albums on in the background. Not sure if that's a recommendation or not!
  • Vintage65 said:
    Wild Pink

Enjoyed that thanks. will definitely dig out more of their work
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23869

• Mega City Four - Who Cares Wins

I love that bitter lemony wall of guitars on that album. A masterpiece

• Susanne Sundfør 2007 debut album which IMO is world class in making something sound from 35 years prior to its release.  I just love her.

Also her performance at the Proms Scott Walker concert. Beautiful 

• My Spotify end of year was heavily Rival Sons, I guess mostly as I saw them on tour. New album though is quite interesting almost prog in places.  

My top 4 artists were unsurprisingly Rival Sons, Wilco, Beatles, Led Zep and a little more surprising RA as I didn’t think I’d listened at all. But I must have left the cover albums playing. 

I have been on the search for new to me bands and really like White Lies. 

Currently I am also enjoying Wire which is a band I have never checked out. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

My Spotify end of year was heavily Rival Sons, I guess mostly as I saw them on tour. New album though is quite interesting almost prog in places.  

My top 4 artists were unsurprisingly Rival Sons, Wilco, Beatles, Led Zep and a little more surprising RA as I didn’t think I’d listened at all. But I must have left the cover albums playing. 

Spotify end of year might be worth a separate thread (but I'm not going to start it).

My Top 5 Artists were Triumph, Winger, Delain, Green Lung and The Vintage Caravan (I'm cool, me...).

My Top Genre was Psychedelic Doom.
  • MJ Lenderman

• Right now it's Spinoza by John Zorn, from his recently-released-to-streaming back catalogue (seriously, he releases about one album a month). It jumps between pleasant jazz, death metal and free-form noise with alarming frequency. Other delights are acoustic guitar trios (Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Gyan Riley), fake Jewish folk tunes (the Masada Project - genuinely lovely) and an album of songs he wrote for Petra Haden. Mostly excellent jazz, though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I read a feature in which Marty Friedman ranked all the Kiss albums from best to worst... and now I am listening to Kiss.  I have a few of their albums from the 1980s "no makeup" period, but I really haven't heard much of their early or indeed more recent material.

I started with Carnival of Souls, which is quite surprising - it's quite grungey but also has some late-Beatles sounding material, and some of Bruce Kulick's guitar work has a Hendrix/Randy California feel.  I like it.

Now moved on to Creatures of the Night - much more like classic Kiss, although I think it was the first album without Ace Frehley.  Robben Ford played on a couple of tracks, I'm interested to hear them.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6193
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6193
    John and George and a relaxed bass player...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJQAyrUHhA
  • Vauxhall and I by Morrissey.

He’s been so pants both on and off record for so long now that I often forget how brilliant he used to be. Tracks like Speedway, The More You Ignore Me…and Springheeled Jim remind me.

Vauxhall and I by Morrissey.

He’s been so pants both on and off record for so long now that I often forget how brilliant he used to be. Tracks like Speedway, The More You Ignore Me…and Springheeled Jim remind me.
    Same here. Southpaw grammar remains my firm fave though.

I’m reading that he’s really on form as of late on stage, mind. 
  • Deadman said:
    Vauxhall and I by Morrissey.

Same here. Southpaw grammar remains my firm fave though.

I’m reading that he’s really on form as of late on stage, mind. 
    Have cued that very album up next - excellent album. More consistent than Vauxhall, I reckon. 
    Your Arsenal remains my favourite, but Southpaw is an underrated gem.