What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23870
    Some Dr Molly Miller (I'm not sure she uses the Dr but much). I don't know much about her really but she's a music academic, has done sessions (Black Eyed Peas for example) and her own music seems to tend to be jazzy covers. So often familiar material, there's a guitarist sensibility with crunchy tones and many pedals but with the understanding of jazz harmony (I think). 
    Here's a reworking of a hoary old standard, maybe not her finest hour but for old blokes with an ear for blues rock it's very accessible: 

That didn't set my world on fire, but it looks like a very relaxed, pleasant environment to mess around and play music in. 
    You can sort of imagine the cast of Friends (plus some nameless, but attractive, extras) milling around having champagne and canapes in another corner of that spacious, sunlit loft, totally ignoring the band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Some Dr Molly Miller (I'm not sure she uses the Dr but much). I don't know much about her really but she's a music academic, has done sessions (Black Eyed Peas for example) and her own music seems to tend to be jazzy covers. So often familiar material, there's a guitarist sensibility with crunchy tones and many pedals but with the understanding of jazz harmony (I think). 
    Here's a reworking of a hoary old standard, maybe not her finest hour but for old blokes with an ear for blues rock it's very accessible: 

That didn't set my world on fire, but it looks like a very relaxed, pleasant environment to mess around and play music in. 
    You can sort of imagine the cast of Friends (plus some nameless, but attractive, extras) milling around having champagne and canapes in another corner of that spacious, sunlit loft, totally ignoring the band.
    Certainly not grab you by the throat music. Almost anything jazz oriented invariably has, to me, a bloody horrible guitar sound so when it's someone bashing a guitar into a small valve amp, maybe a scattering of pedals, I can take an interest. She is hired as 'attractive female rock guitarist ' for live bands and TV (she's on a spin off of The Bachelor) but her own stuff is jazzier. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23870
    Philly_Q said:

Certainly not grab you by the throat music. Almost anything jazz oriented invariably has, to me, a bloody horrible guitar sound so when it's someone bashing a guitar into a small valve amp, maybe a scattering of pedals, I can take an interest. She is hired as 'attractive female rock guitarist ' for live bands and TV (she's on a spin off of The Bachelor) but her own stuff is jazzier. 
    So my little daydream there was actually pretty close to reality!  :)

• Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

So my little daydream there was actually pretty close to reality!  :)

My only other factoid about her is that a Molly Miller is also a type of fish, although I presume that's just a coincidence. Don't know how that fits with the daydream. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    Got the house to myself tonight so rocking out with a few beers, a hot curry and Mission of Burma on the telly:

https://youtu.be/wiMc7RftWa0?si=6sQp5j-r99Mznvpp
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    Tom Bukovac trying out his new Jeff Senn Stratocaster (15 years ago)

Tom Bukovac plays his custom ordered Jeff Senn Guitars Fullerton model with Jason Lollar Blackface pickup through Princeton Reverb “

https://youtu.be/cD8NYEGWvMY?feature=shared
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    edited December 2023
    Mica Millar’s debut Album “ Heaven Knows” released in 2022. 

Manchester vocalist with a great voice. Saw her live at The Glasshouse (formerly known as The Sage in Gateshead) Tuesday night (December 19th) for the first time. Really pleased to find this gig on, as I have no interest in the standard Christmas fare.

She sang all the Album tracks plus some other songs. Absolutely loved it, and got her to sign the CD that I bought that night.

There’s a good selection of her songs on YouTube - for starters, I would suggest her live performance of “Preacher Man” at the Albert Hall in Manchester. Her style is essentially a bit of a modernised take on early Soul music. Her band is just up my street.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Equation - Hazy Daze, Seth & Sean Lakeman's folk-rock band w/ Kathryn Roberts. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 366
    edited December 2023
    Adrianne Lenker (Big Thief)

• Elliot Smith…Good will hunting 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    edited January 1
    Ray LaMontagne - Jolene

https://youtu.be/3VBVqE-UtHw?feature=shared

I’m just watching Michael Palmisano on YouTube where he gives an overview of this song. I haven’t heard it in years but it’s fantastic. Think I need to relisten to Ray’s album where this song comes from.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Former Ought members

Didn't know this, cheers. Saw Ought a few years back and it was cool. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    The incomparable Charles Wesley Godwin playing a live set from the back of a moving Ford Bronco, whilst his band The Allegheny High are being towed behind him on a trailer through the Oklahoma plains... 

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    duotone said:
    Tom Bukovac trying out his new Jeff Senn Stratocaster (15 years ago)

” Tom Bukovac plays his custom ordered Jeff Senn Guitars Fullerton model with Jason Lollar Blackface pickup through Princeton Reverb “

https://youtu.be/cD8NYEGWvMY?feature=shared
    Every time I watch one of Bukovac's videos - which is frequently - it makes me feel like such a bad guitarist lol
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited January 4
    Been playing this, just gets better.  Not rock, no guitars, pure Afro pop.

Nadia Mukami X Darassa - Siko Sure