What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never disliked Saxon, but I've never really been a fan either.  I don't think I have any of their albums, but I'm really intrigued by the new one because Brian Tatler from Diamond Head is involved.
    I had seen on Facebook (not sure why) that Paul Quinn was retiring on health grounds and Brian taking over as touring guitarist. Not sure why Brian wasn't poached by a name rock band at some point in the last forty years, Diamond Head seemed to be a series of diminishing returns. 
    I also keep getting an ad for Saxon supporting Judas Priest in Birmingham in March, quite difficult to get across to the Facebook algorithm that it's on MrsTheWeary's birthday and she is less than keen. 
    It's Uriah Heep as well, would that help swing it..?

No. Wouldn’t swing it for me let alone MrsTheWeary (I suspect she won’t even know who UH are). 

Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never disliked Saxon, but I've never really been a fan either.  I don't think I have any of their albums, but I'm really intrigued by the new one because Brian Tatler from Diamond Head is involved.
    I had seen on Facebook (not sure why) that Paul Quinn was retiring on health grounds and Brian taking over as touring guitarist. Not sure why Brian wasn't poached by a name rock band at some point in the last forty years, Diamond Head seemed to be a series of diminishing returns. 

Yes, Mr Tatler certainly deserves to have had a much more successful career.  I've no idea how much money a band of Saxon's status makes, but I hope it'll be a bit of a pay day for him.  Funnily enough, I've just finished reading the autobiography of former Lone Star, Uriah Heep and Gary Moore Band singer (and Paul Young backing vocalist) John Sloman... he's basically made bugger all from nearly 50 years in the music business.
    The whole story of Diamond Head seems to have been ‘unexpected lack of commercial success.’ I’m not aware of any of them having done anything commercially big in or outside of the band. For a band that probably seem quite obscure to most people now they were heavily touted as The Next Big Thing for a while and a major influence on other bands (Lars Ulrich was effectively their roadie before forming Metallica and Metallica have covered Diamond Head). A lot of the praise for Diamond Head was for Brian’s playing, his riff writing and what was fairly technical playing by the standards of the time and genre. Perhaps other bands didn’t want him because they couldn’t understand his accent (I could have had a career translating for Brian Tatler!).

Philly_Q said:

Oh this is the Brian Blessed track! Saxon do like the odd guest (Elton John appears somewhere in their back catalogue). Saxon were capable of doing some interesting things (songs about the death of JFK, about a friend with cancer, about steam trains, airplane crashes…) but it’s a bit metal by numbers these days.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6132
    Peter Perrett, chronic abuse of talent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0xyrl1y5I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 417
    Sierra Ferrell

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23526
    The whole story of Diamond Head seems to have been ‘unexpected lack of commercial success.’ I’m not aware of any of them having done anything commercially big in or outside of the band. For a band that probably seem quite obscure to most people now they were heavily touted as The Next Big Thing for a while and a major influence on other bands (Lars Ulrich was effectively their roadie before forming Metallica and Metallica have covered Diamond Head). A lot of the praise for Diamond Head was for Brian’s playing, his riff writing and what was fairly technical playing by the standards of the time and genre. Perhaps other bands didn’t want him because they couldn’t understand his accent (I could have had a career translating for Brian Tatler!).
    I always remember a review of their first, white sleeve, white label album (of which I have a copy) which said something like "Am I Evil? alone has more great riffs than the first four Black Sabbath albums".  But yes, it all went wrong somehow... the first official album had some material which fans had known for years already, and then they "matured" too quickly and released Canterbury which almost sounded like a different band.  I know they've released a few albums since then but they never really regained momentum.

The "Barnsley Big Teasers" seem to be able to understand his accent though...
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5111
    Tatler made a decent chunk from metallica covers. not enough to retire on I suspect, but certainly enough to provide a safety net. 
    Saxon, on the other hand do a fair few festivals each year and those will pay fairly well. Also, last time I saw them it was a sold out hammersmith so that would have done well. With Diamond head supporting.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4261
    Reverend said:
    Tatler made a decent chunk from metallica covers. not enough to retire on I suspect, but certainly enough to provide a safety net. 
    Saxon, on the other hand do a fair few festivals each year and those will pay fairly well. Also, last time I saw them it was a sold out hammersmith so that would have done well. With Diamond head supporting.
    I met Brian Tatler around 10 or 15 years ago and had a cool chat & he did me a nice autograph but I lost it in a house move :(

he was Depping for a Thin Lizzy tribute at the time 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28998
    A bit rawk but some good chunes; Secret & Whisper.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1223
    Believe or not but I've never listened to Pink Floyd before (at least not deliberately) I put Wish You Were Here on today.  Quite like it.  I think they'll go far!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Antarctica by Vangelis. This was an unexpected Christmas present on CD and its's quite enjoyable in a Vangelis-ey kind of way.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 353
    A great live rendition of Monkey 23

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    SLF. Bruce Foxon era, I really liked Flags and emblems:

https://youtu.be/CA9oTDmrc8Q?si=lQeolaxFIpIYlWXz
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1296
    edited January 20

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 833
    Steve Stevens - Memory Crash 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4298
    Love a bit of Waxahatchee, throw in some MJ Lenderman too and can’t go wrong. Lovely song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL3iHhERWJw
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1013
    This came on in the supermarket this evening. So I had to check out Discogs & see who played guitar on it: Corrado Rustici, an Italian prog-rock and jazz-fusion player.

So Emotional - Whitney Houston

https://youtu.be/0YjSHbA6HQQ?feature=shared

Found the demo on YouTube too, written by Tom Kelly & Billy Steinberg
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28998
    Yesterday was mostly commissioning a big audio system in a sports hall, so palate cleansing today with *Ancients 2023 album (missed it at the time). Bit pacier than their last (which was 12 years ago now...) 

Standout thus far:

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited January 25
    This brilliant album by Chasing The Monsoon on double vinyl.
    https://youtu.be/rdmA5slQliQ?feature=shared

Also available on CD quality download and memory stick from there site.
    https://chasingthemonsoon.com/

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23526
    edited January 25
    @Sporky I've not heard of *Ancients, for a moment I thought it was Anciients... who may well have called it a day.