Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28716
    HEALTH covering Deftones.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23114
    edited February 24
    Blue Öyster Cult - 50th Anniversary Live: First Night

The latest in a fairly long run of live albums since BÖC signed to Italian label Frontiers.  It's good!  And that led me back to The Symbol Remains (2020), their first studio album for nearly 20 years, which has absolutely no business being as excellent as it is.  I give a lot of credit to the super-talented multi-instrumentalist Richie Castellano, who has totally revitalised the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995

The Duke & The King - One More American Song (2009)

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 709
    UB40 Signing Off.

Food for Thought is my current earworm !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1101
    New Kings of Leon is pretty catchy.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    New Mysterines single ‘Stray’. Lia has a great voice, very PJ Harvey. I love it:

https://youtu.be/4NquU--FL9Y?si=xaK85H0UZHWiGgrW
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 341
    edited February 26
    Some guitars from Husker Du

Some blistering guitar & bass ... especially The Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill (06:53) & Terms of Psychic Warfare (17:37).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Been listening to this for the last few weeks, very nice:

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    This is most exciting, euphoric music ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wZu6RapRyY
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Fishboy7 said:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    edited March 8
    Edited because this post was complete bollocks based on false Wikipedia information.

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 379
    Drive-By Truckers...

A classic lyric in this number too, imo:
    Everyone has those times when the night's so long,
    the dead-end life just drags you down.
    You lean back under the microphone,
    and turn your demons into walls of god damned noise and sound.

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23114
    I listened to the new Bruce Dickinson album this morning. It's not very good at all. 

Production is all over the place. Poor guitar tones. Sounds like a demo at times.

The credits show perhaps the odd nature of the album. Martin Birch has seven production credits despite being dead. So much of the album has been gathering dust for a while.

Four cowrites with Steve Harris, one with Adrian Smith. A strangely weak version of Eternity Has Failed (Maiden version is better).
    No Roy Z cowrites. 

A real shame. Bruce's solo material with Roy Z had been great, songwriting and production. 
    Interesting!  There was a review on Blabbermouth the other day which absolutely raved about it.  And therefore I was going to - and still will - give it a listen, although I've watched the video for the "single" and thought it was meh.  Unlike you though, I've never liked Bruce's solo material, I don't know why but it just doesn't connect with me.

I'm really surprised by what you said about the co-writes and production credits, I've read some of the interviews in the buildup and didn't form the impression that it was rehashed old material.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    maharg101 said:
    UB40 Signing Off.

That was such an earworm for me back in the day.  Before I got the album, just hearing it out and about.  I didn't know anything about UB40 and remember being really surprised when I found out that the singer was white.  Still probably their best song for me, even though they went on to have much bigger hits.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    maharg101 said:
    UB40 Signing Off.

That was such an earworm for me back in the day.  Before I got the album, just hearing it out and about.  I didn't know anything about UB40 and remember being really surprised when I found out that the singer was white.  Still probably their best song for me, even though they went on to have much bigger hits.
    I'm not the biggest fan of much of their stuff and the band eventually imploded and became a bit of a soap opera. But Signing Off worked brilliantly, just them doing their thing. Apparently all the rhythm guitars are in an open tuning (E I think) so you get this accidental harmonic complexity where he's effectively playing the wrong chords. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 985
    I just heard two new Black Crowes tracks..... it's really not my usual cuppa but I thought they actually sounded good? Thats probably bad news for them. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Up early painting a Tele body this morning, The Doors Waiting for the sun is on loop. 30 minute LP’s are where it’s at  ;)

https://youtu.be/4Q12wpgi4BI?si=44GICVmUf6UFZV52

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited March 2
    Following the recent Rick Beato interview with Ian Thornley, I'm back listening to Big Wreck and love his voice and playing. He really does need to play more slide as he's so good.

I'm also listening to some Winger (they've just announced some UK dates). Wow. Reb Beach is such a fluid and exciting guitarist
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 709
    EricTheWeary said (about UB40):
    I'm not the biggest fan of much of their stuff and the band eventually imploded and became a bit of a soap opera. But Signing Off worked brilliantly, just them doing their thing. Apparently all the rhythm guitars are in an open tuning (E I think) so you get this accidental harmonic complexity where he's effectively playing the wrong chords. 
    I've read that about the open E tuning, but I don't think it is entirely correct, going by my own ears, and what others have written too. For example, https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2016/12/rhythm-guitar-and-other-reggae-secrets.html talks about major / minor mismatches which are common in reggae, and cites UB40 Food for Thought

The track Food For Thought was particularly interesting. The actual chords of the song’s backing progression are:

A minor, E major, G major, D major.

But if you went to see UB40 back in the heyday of that song you’d have witnessed rhythm guitarist Ali Campbell playing something that looked like:

A major, C# minor, G major, D minor shape – probably with the B string damped out.

I suspect there is some truth to the open tuning story during the infancy of the group, but I think by the time the LP was recorded, a conventional tuning was being employed (pun intended).
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here