What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    edited March 8
    Reverend said:
    I listened to the new Bruce Dickinson album this morning. It's not very good at all. 

Production is all over the place. Poor guitar tones. Sounds like a demo at times.

The credits show perhaps the odd nature of the album. Martin Birch has seven production credits despite being dead. So much of the album has been gathering dust for a while.

Four cowrites with Steve Harris, one with Adrian Smith. A strangely weak version of Eternity Has Failed (Maiden version is better).
    No Roy Z cowrites. 

A real shame. Bruce's solo material with Roy Z had been great, songwriting and production. 
    erm????

Roy Z has writing credits on most of the song, I can see no mention of Steve in the credits on the album and certainly nothing mentiong the headmaster on the production credits/

Also the guitar tones are fine. Certainly better than most modern metal albums. 
    What I wrote was complete bollocks based on the Wikipedia entry for the album. It seems there had been a load of wrong information posted on there. They've completely changed since I wrote that. 

You can see all this old nonsense in this link to the pre-revision version: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Mandrake_Project&oldid=1210828590

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1390
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23009
    Reverend said:
    I listened to the new Bruce Dickinson album this morning. It's not very good at all. 

Production is all over the place. Poor guitar tones. Sounds like a demo at times.

The credits show perhaps the odd nature of the album. Martin Birch has seven production credits despite being dead. So much of the album has been gathering dust for a while.

Four cowrites with Steve Harris, one with Adrian Smith. A strangely weak version of Eternity Has Failed (Maiden version is better).
    No Roy Z cowrites. 

A real shame. Bruce's solo material with Roy Z had been great, songwriting and production. 
    erm????

Roy Z has writing credits on most of the song, I can see no mention of Steve in the credits on the album and certainly nothing mentiong the headmaster on the production credits/

What I wrote was complete bollocks based on the Wikipedia entry for the album. It seems there had been a load of wrong information posted on there. They've completely changed since I wrote that. 

You can see all this old nonsense in this link to the pre-revision version: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Mandrake_Project&oldid=1210828590
    @Grumpyrocker ;How utterly bizarre!  I didn't know you could "rewind" to earlier versions of Wiki pages.  Incidentally, the "Ramirez" on the writing credits would actually be Roy Z, although he isn't called Roger... :)
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

No Roy Z cowrites. 

erm????

@Grumpyrocker How utterly bizarre!  I didn't know you could "rewind" to earlier versions of Wiki pages.  Incidentally, the "Ramirez" on the writing credits would actually be Roy Z, although he isn't called Roger... :)
    If you hit "view history" at the top right of any Wiki page you can see a list like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Mandrake_Project&action=history

Click on any date on the list and you'll see the version from that day. 

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1095
    edited March 8
    Very (un?)pretentiously listening to a lot of Casiopea. Great Japanese Jazz fusion from the late 70s, early 80s. Song Midnight Rendezvous got me into them. Chorus cool as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hvvltt7d-U

Listening to the new Judas Priest album which is an absolute banger. 

And I'm also really enjoying the new Suldusk album. Beautiful combination of ethereal vocals and atmospheric music with darker metal. 

If you hit "view history" at the top right of any Wiki page you can see a list like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Mandrake_Project&action=history

Click on any date on the list and you'll see the version from that day. 
    Thanks for that, very interesting.  I remember seeing a footballer's Wiki page once and someone had put "when he runs he is so slow that time stops and starts going backwards".  I wish I could remember who it was...
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    New album Mountainhead from the fabulous Everything Everything - https://everythingeverything.tmstor.es/?lf=3f6bc85c2ba9b336f4685fd12d8d8b2d

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 983
    The excellent new Psychic Lemon album on splat green Ltd edition vinyl.

I've just spent the last hour discovering Psychic Lemon - thank you very much @Fingers657 - lovely stuff. Soupy. 
    Yes excellent band and nice guys.
    It was nice of them to start releasing there live jams series of downloads for free on Bandcamp during the covid lockdowns.
    Brilliant music .
    Im really liking the new album.

Yeah? You've seen/met them?

Thanks again @Fingers657 - I've been listening to them for the past few days now - they have a really good back catalogue. There is a lot I like..... the psych guitars, funky bass, danceable rhythms..... I am all in - a great discovery thanks to you and this thread...... if you have anything similar I'd be happy to hear about it.
    Listening to the new Judas Priest album which is an absolute banger. 
    I'm having my first listen now.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1095
    New Bleachers album. Incredible.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    Listened to this a lot this week. Trying to work out the chords with a view to re-appropriating them. As you do....

And in a turn up for the books, Spotify directed me to a new release from a band I quite like

US singer song-writers - a crowded corner of the room. Waxahatchee is really starting to stand our. Just beautiful songwriting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 9
    Donald Fagen Nightfly, With my espresso answering emails.
    https://youtu.be/Ueivjr3f8xg?si=F9OJqF18E_2p8a2U
    With my espresso answering emails.
    https://youtu.be/Ueivjr3f8xg?si=F9OJqF18E_2p8a2U
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited March 10
    ewal said:
    US singer song-writers - a crowded corner of the room. Waxahatchee is really starting to stand our. Just beautiful songwriting.
    I like MJ Lenderman, either solo or with Wednesday.

edited March 10
    BBC radio 6 music.
    Stu is playing stuff from the festival.