What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    robgilmo said:
    For the last few minutes this:

https://youtu.be/IwmTAtLCmxM?si=hPmtklUK8MkBYKDO

Which I was going to post in the Bright Eyes discussion but I have now decided that it’s being slightly less of a dick to post it here. But FFS if you call your band Bright Eyes this is what’s going to happen. Anyway, out of my system now. 
    That is, frankly, awesome. As is the fact that the poor kid, who’s no doubt older than me now, probably long since thought this nice but slightly embarrassing memory was safely lost in the mists of time…and then YouTube happened.
    The backing track used on that, according to the clip, was produced by Neil Innés of Bonzo Dog and Rutles fame. It mentions Tiswas in his Wikipedia so I guess it was him. Neil was a super talented bloke if that’s any consolation to Matthew when his family play this clip for him every birthday, Christmas,etc. 
    I think Matthew is still living his dream.

AMAZING!!!
    That’s a properly big gig somewhere! Presumably his own costume. I don’t know why anything quite this daft makes me smile so much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3522
    Santana today, one of those seldom played CD's that when I put it on I think, why dont I listen to this more often.
    On the look out for the vinyl.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 20
    This Caravan classic.

https://youtu.be/MWRJiMa4q8k

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 577
    Les Claypool.
    Just loving the live performances from a while back of the King Crimson stuff. All new to me.

That led me to Adrian Belew. He did a fascinating clinic talking about his Parker Fly and how he creates different sounds. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    Mark Knopfler’s guitar heroes - Going Home. 

So many bits by so many people. Feels a bit like 

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Beau Coups album Born & raised on Rock n Roll

https://youtu.be/rP9jEmNIpmc?si=BVo0rSpPipPgOWrY
    Pop song by nepo baby. But, err, it’s bloody brilliant:

https://youtu.be/wQtVSNmYCNg?si=IRmswrQFy5SVYiQA

and if you want to know how clever it is:

https://youtu.be/YxYVEa_urTo?si=H0jbgD-JOsDHLz2a
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pop song by nepo baby. But, err, it’s bloody brilliant:

I really like the drum sound on that @EricTheWeary -  sounds 'live' bright and warm..... in fact the whole thing sounds pretty good. Reminds me of 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwuy3go1-L8
    Pop song by nepo baby. But, err, it’s bloody brilliant:

I really like the drum sound on that @EricTheWeary -  sounds 'live' bright and warm..... in fact the whole thing sounds pretty good. Reminds me of 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwuy3go1-L8
    I don’t know anything about the production of the Willow track, wether anything is sampled,etc, but I can hear those similarities. 
    She’s the child of rich and famous people, done all sorts of nonsense that you only really get to do if you are the child of the rich and famous. Not difficult to assume that she’s just the face of this but then again she might be a musical titan for all I know. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3522
    Bit of Sheryl Crow this morning, nice bouncy morning radio friendly music.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Offset said:
    Today I will mainly be listening to World Party :s  
    I'm a bit behind the curve replying, but I went away and watched this a few times when I heard the news.

I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    Mazzy Star. Just bought their first two albums and not sure how I managed to miss them the first time round. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11892
    Mazzy Star. Just bought their first two albums and not sure how I managed to miss them the first time round. 
    Whoooooooooooah!  I haven't heard or even thought about Mazzy Star for a VERY long time!  I feel the urge to revisit them :-)
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    MJ Lenderman

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited March 21
    One of a kind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t know anything about the production of the Willow track, wether anything is sampled,etc, but I can hear those similarities. 
    She’s the child of rich and famous people, done all sorts of nonsense that you only really get to do if you are the child of the rich and famous. Not difficult to assume that she’s just the face of this but then again she might be a musical titan for all I know. 
    The breakdown video is really interesting - an unusual time signature, some complex jazzy chords...... I'd be inclined to agree that she's more likely the face than the titan....

I heard a musician on a podcast - I think it was Will Caruthers from Spacemen 3 - saying that a lot bands/singers are from more privileged back ground these days because you'd need the financial support of a well off parent to fund the 4 or 5 years of unemployment it takes to learn to play, form a band and write the songs that people would have done on the 'dole' in the 80's and 90's...... actually I think it was Andy Rourke (RIP)

And of course if your in that higher bracket of privilege and have a celebrity parent they perhaps put you in the room with good producers, musicians, lawyers and labels etc.....

Not sure what my point was there! I probably need to put down the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist before I start posting 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don’t know anything about the production of the Willow track, wether anything is sampled,etc, but I can hear those similarities. 
    The breakdown video is really interesting - an unusual time signature, some complex jazzy chords...... I'd be inclined to agree that she's more likely the face than the titan....

I heard a musician on a podcast - I think it was Will Caruthers from Spacemen 3 - saying that a lot bands/singers are from more privileged back ground these days because you'd need the financial support of a well off parent to fund the 4 or 5 years of unemployment it takes to learn to play, form a band and write the songs that people would have done on the 'dole' in the 80's and 90's...... actually I think it was Andy Rourke (RIP)

And of course if your in that higher bracket of privilege and have a celebrity parent they perhaps put you in the room with good producers, musicians, lawyers and labels etc.....

Not sure what my point was there! I probably need to put down the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist before I start posting 
    There’s definitely a perception that is true. Wether you could prove it statistically I don’t know. There are some quite high profile musicians now from privileged backgrounds and the media often finds that interesting. Certainly they have advantages that other people trying to make it in showbiz don’t. There was also a long era in which most pop/rock musicians made more of having come from humble backgrounds, it was the thing to do, and it was seen as a failure of credibility that you had been to public school, had rich parents or had actually studied music. But it’s a lot harder to spin those stories now and generally people don’t care as much about street cred amongst musicians.*
    Willow is peak nepo baby. She’s appeared in movies, made music and had a book published pretty much since she could come out of nappies really. But at least she is doing something interesting with that privilege.**

*probably hugely important to have the right credentials in something like Drill but these I think are more the exceptions now. 

**there’s a thought Brooklyn Beckham you over privileged galloot. 
  • There’s definitely a perception that is true. Wether you could prove it statistically I don’t know. There are some quite high profile musicians now from privileged backgrounds and the media often finds that interesting. Certainly they have advantages that other people trying to make it in showbiz don’t. There was also a long era in which most pop/rock musicians made more of having come from humble backgrounds, it was the thing to do, and it was seen as a failure of credibility that you had been to public school, had rich parents or had actually studied music. But it’s a lot harder to spin those stories now and generally people don’t care as much about street cred amongst musicians.*
    Willow is peak nepo baby. She’s appeared in movies, made music and had a book published pretty much since she could come out of nappies really. But at least she is doing something interesting with that privilege.**

*probably hugely important to have the right credentials in something like Drill but these I think are more the exceptions now. 

Yes - it's interesting to think about where these perceptions come from and how accurate they are...... The social worker in me feels like we shouldn't attach biased to people because of their backgrounds and a persons socio-economic circumstances shouldn't define them, prevent from pursuing a career in music or enable one - though its naive to think things have ever been particularly meritocratic -  but I also feel like knowing a band or artists back ground can help you understand and appreciate the context of their work - I guess for a lighter 'pop' type song our engagement is going to be more superficial. 

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    There’s definitely a perception that is true. Wether you could prove it statistically I don’t know. There are some quite high profile musicians now from privileged backgrounds and the media often finds that interesting. Certainly they have advantages that other people trying to make it in showbiz don’t. There was also a long era in which most pop/rock musicians made more of having come from humble backgrounds, it was the thing to do, and it was seen as a failure of credibility that you had been to public school, had rich parents or had actually studied music. But it’s a lot harder to spin those stories now and generally people don’t care as much about street cred amongst musicians.*

Yes - it's interesting to think about where these perceptions come from and how accurate they are...... The social worker in me feels like we shouldn't attach biased to people because of their backgrounds and a persons socio-economic circumstances shouldn't define them, prevent from pursuing a career in music or enable one - though its naive to think things have ever been particularly meritocratic -  but I also feel like knowing a band or artists back ground can help you understand and appreciate the context of their work - I guess for a lighter 'pop' type song our engagement is going to be more superficial. 

The members of Pink Floyd, Genesis and Radiohead came from privileged backgrounds, but we do not judge their music in that context.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Willow's Symptom of Life reminded me, somehow, of Fievel is Glaque's  Save the Phenomenon.