Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• 26.226.2 Frets: 531

Bidley said:
    Just did my longest run ever (little over 14km) and it was probably my worst.

Far too hot, never hit a good pace to begin with, then after I hit my usual wall at about 5km I never got a second wind and just laboured harder and harder. Legs got heavier and heavier, started getting twinges in both knees. Not going to post any times because it was frankly embarrassing.

I felt like I was making steady progress until temperatures got above 20degrees. Now I feel like I'm going backwards. Keto pizza tonight I think to drown my despair.
    Well done for such a long run in this heat. And even though it might not have felt good, at least you now _know_ you're capable of that distance. Let that knowledge sit in your subconscious, and it will come back to give you reassurance in future.

Regarding the wall at 5km, do you take on any calories during a run? I find that helps on longer runs and usually have a sachet of SIS gel around every 30 mins.
    Yeah well done @Bidley! The time is irrelevant- that was true running grit to get you there and it’ll be easier next time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    Bidley said:

Far too hot, never hit a good pace to begin with, then after I hit my usual wall at about 5km I never got a second wind and just laboured harder and harder. Legs got heavier and heavier, started getting twinges in both knees. Not going to post any times because it was frankly embarrassing.

I felt like I was making steady progress until temperatures got above 20degrees. Now I feel like I'm going backwards. Keto pizza tonight I think to drown my despair.
    Just draw a line under it. We all get the odd bad run. It was probably the heat as your body is working hard just to keep you cool, then you start running and bosh.... you heart rate would have been high. Not sure if you have a running watch with a heart rate monitor but that is a good way of training. Work out your maximum and you know when you are pushing too hard. You sometimes need to run slower due to the heat. Try not to feel pressure about always achieve if a certain time on every run. 
    Keep going mate . 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    26.2 said:
    Bidley said:

Focus on the good that it was your longest run ever

I can't run over 20 degrees.

My last 10k in 25 degree heat I stopped twice to pour water over my head.
    Yeah the heat isn’t great. I did a marathon in 2019 where it was low 20s on the start line and had got up to 27-28 degrees from halfway. Your energy just goes. 

I recently read the excellent book Exercised and learned that running long distances in high temperatures is pretty much the one physical thing that humans are better at than any other animal including horses and dogs.

Some tribes can hunt a giraffe by literally running it down until it collapses from heat exhaustion.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    26.2 said:

Yeah well done @Bidley! The time is irrelevant- that was true running grit to get you there and it’ll be easier next time. 

Thanks mate - I'm over it now and looking forward to getting out again!
    russpm said:

Just draw a line under it. We all get the odd bad run. It was probably the heat as your body is working hard just to keep you cool, then you start running and bosh.... you heart rate would have been high. Not sure if you have a running watch with a heart rate monitor but that is a good way of training. Work out your maximum and you know when you are pushing too hard. You sometimes need to run slower due to the heat. Try not to feel pressure about always achieve if a certain time on every run. 
    Keep going mate . 

Yep, my average HR is usually 145-150 with a max of 170-175 (according to my Vivoactive) and yesterday it was 165 average with 197 max, so it's clear I was working much harder! In hindsight I was probably being a bit hard on myself.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213
    Just got my 10k PB this morning - 50:14 which I’m pretty pleased with. Added to a 5k PB yesterday of 23:45, it’s been a decent week. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just got my 10k PB this morning - 50:14 which I’m pretty pleased with. Added to a 5k PB yesterday of 23:45, it’s been a decent week. 
    Well done mate, great running
    russpm said:
    Well done mate, great running
    Thank you kindly. No idea where it came from - I’d set out just to do a steady Eddie ten today. 
    Top work mate. I’m backing you to get sub-50 pretty soon as well! 

I did my last pre-marathon long run on Monday - 30K. I took the pace right down in the heat and it was pretty solid throughout. A ten- miler planned for tomorrow and then a couple of short ones before next Sunday. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    26.2 said:

I did my last pre-marathon long run on Monday - 30K. I took the pace right down in the heat and it was pretty solid throughout. A ten- miler planned for tomorrow and then a couple of short ones before next Sunday. 
    That’s insanity 
    26.2 said:

Which marathon are you doing mate? Best of luck with it.
    I’m doing Manchester in October so start my 17 week training plan next week.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908

Good work. I couldn’t do back to back PBs - in fact I just can’t run on consecutive days  =)
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:

Good work. I couldn’t do back to back PBs - in fact I just can’t run on consecutive days  =)
    Two days off now. At the minute I run 5’s on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, and a 10 on Saturday. I’m going to do another couple of weeks of that before trying to increase the ten to maybe a 15. All theory of course; I’m sure I’ll fall to bits again soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    russpm said:
    26.2 said:

Which marathon are you doing mate? Best of luck with it.
    I’m doing Manchester in October so start my 17 week training plan next week.
    Thanks! Richmond Park next weekend, then Brighton in September. 
    Been a good couple of weeks for me. Smashed my 5k PB two weeks ago, and got my first sub-hour 10k today. All after reaching my weight loss goal - apparently now I'm running for fun?!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Bidley said:
    Been a good couple of weeks for me. Smashed my 5k PB two weeks ago, and got my first sub-hour 10k today. All after reaching my weight loss goal - apparently now I'm running for fun?!
    Nice one! Hopefully it’s fun but you’re running to maintain what you’ve achieved and possibly set some more targets. 

A lot of people go healthy - be that eating, exercise or both. Reach a target and then slip back into old habits and routines. 

Keep it up! 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    Bidley said:
    That’s great, well done! I got my first sub-hour 10km in late last year and it felt like a really good milestone. I got to just under 58 mins after a few more runs… I’ve let myself slide a bit since though, could kick myself.
    Iamnobody said:
    Bidley said:
    Nice one! Hopefully it’s fun but you’re running to maintain what you’ve achieved and possibly set some more targets. 

A lot of people go healthy - be that eating, exercise or both. Reach a target and then slip back into old habits and routines. 

Keep it up! 

It is actually fun, the stats after a good run are so addictive. No going back for me that I can see, I've changed my lifestyle and gone too far to go back now.
    Bidley said:
    That’s great, well done! I got my first sub-hour 10km in late last year and it felt like a really good milestone. I got to just under 58 mins after a few more runs… I’ve let myself slide a bit since though, could kick myself.

Yeah I feel like the real work starts now. Might shoot for a half-marathon at some point (just completion, mind - no time goal for now!).

Cheers guys!
    Good work @Bidley. That’s fantastic. 

I did Richmond Park marathon the weekend before last. Terrible course with hills, mud, trails, long grass etc. I got lost twice and needed to refer to the map , also ran half a km in the wrong direction and had to double back. There were only 68 runners so people got so spread out that you couldn’t see anyone else most of the time. The course was marked, sort of, and there were marshals, water stations every 3 miles, so you weren’t exactly on your own, but it was a different kind of race for sure! 

Knowing it would be ‘unusual’ terrain I cut the pace right back and aimed to see if I could avoid the dreaded wall, which I’ve hit in every marathon to date. I did avoid the wall this time, but I was around half an hour over my normal time at 4:38. Considering the course, the extra distance I ran, getting lost etc I was happy enough. It’s just nice to do another one. 

Next up - Brighton in early Sept. 
    Just finished my last run of what has been a good month for me. Completed 130.6km in June, including highlights of:

• 5k PB of 23:45
    • 10k PB of 50:14
    • Longest ever run of 16.73km, completed in 1:28:29
    • a pretty grim looking blister under my nail on a middle toe  =)

I'm going to try and run a 21.1km during July. Futile personal goals n' all that. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom