Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    Got my 5k PB down to 22:16 this afternoon on my first run in a new pair of trainers. Pleased with that! 
    That’s great work! You’re 3 secs quicker than me now! It’ll be interesting to see how consistently  you can get in the 22s. Even when I’m ‘trying’ eg in a Park Run, I find I’m in the 23s most of the time. Everything needs to be right for me to get into the 22s - I’m not naturally a speed merchant and it feels pretty hard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    russpm said:
    Just finished week 9 of 17 of my marathon training plan for Manchester marathon. Tough week with two speed sessions and a long run of 16 miles. Five runs in total this week. I’ve already hit 80 miles for August with half the month to go.
    Anyone else running Manchester marathon this year?
    Brighton for me - in 2 and a half weeks. Ive had a few terrible long runs due to heat and various niggles, but I’m starting to feel up for it now. I did a slow, but consistent, 19 miles last weekend. Just a half marathon (my 27th of the year!) at the weekend and then a 2-week taper. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7176
    26.2 said:
    Got my 5k PB down to 22:16 this afternoon on my first run in a new pair of trainers. Pleased with that! 
    That’s great work! You’re 3 secs quicker than me now! It’ll be interesting to see how consistently  you can get in the 22s. Even when I’m ‘trying’ eg in a Park Run, I find I’m in the 23s most of the time. Everything needs to be right for me to get into the 22s - I’m not naturally a speed merchant and it feels pretty hard. 
    Yeah, I was 23 again this morning. I always run in the mornings, but I think I’m quicker in the afternoon tbh 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Great stuff everyone.

Got my final run in for Aug last night.

101 miles for the month
    Got a PB HM time of 1.52.32 

Nearly half way through my marathon plan now so the mileage will go up quite a bit in Sept; just need to stay injury free…
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    Great stuff everyone.

101 miles for the month

Nearly half way through my marathon plan now so the mileage will go up quite a bit in Sept; just need to stay injury free…
    That’s a nice PB there. Which Marathon are you training for? 
    August total 172K, 15 runs,  longest 30K.

Tapering and eating carbs now - Brighton on Sept 12. Praying for cool weather and no howling gale like 2019. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My running went somewhat to pot during June and July, for various reasons.

I’ve been back on it in August.  A total of 83k over 10 runs.  Nowt compared to some of you, but enough to just about satisfy me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 129km for me in August, including my first half marathon, and a 5k PB of 22:16. 
  • August total: 153km, 12 runs

Highlights were a couple of glorious runs up on the North York Moors.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    I just finished week 11 of 17 and have picked up a very strange and painful injury. Totally out of the blue, i woke up in agony with my right shoulder. It’s the most ferocious pain I’ve ever had in my life. I was away on a short break with the missus so had no painkillers to hand so was climbing the walls. I didn’t manage any further sleep and it became evident I had very limited mobility in my shoulder / upper arm. I couldn’t move my right arm out to the side or raise it at all.
    We headed straight home in the morning and I managed to see my osteopath on bank holiday Monday. I was still in extreme pain and popping ibuprofen for fun. He said it looked bad and suspected a tendon impingement or worse case a tear.
    He couldn’t believe there was no incident / trauma that involved my shoulder.
    I subsequently got decent painkillers via prescription and have had a further 3 sleepless nights. Obviously its a big worry for me that i wont be able to get back training in time to do the Manchester marathon on 10th October.
    I’m now waiting for an MRI scan to understand what exactly the injury is.

Weirdly my mobility has improved rapidly over the last 24 hours and I’m now feeling more optimistic of getting back to training.

I really really hope I can get back on it as Ive trained so hard for this. I was aiming for 3:15 and hopefully qualifying for ~London on ‘good for age’.

Hoping for some good karma.

• I’m betting your shoulder is guitar related.
    I had an issue with the long head bicep tendon not running smoothly in its natural place. It stemmed from my shoulder constantly being internally rotated and rounded from playing guitar. 

I had repeated issues with it for a long time and it took a lot of physio but it was manageable 
  • 26.2 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Great stuff everyone.

101 miles for the month

Cheers. It’s beside the Thames, light trail but a nice flat course.
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Great stuff everyone.

101 miles for the month

Cheers. It’s beside the Thames, light trail but a nice flat course.
    Is it the Thames Meander?
  • That’s the one! It seems a very low key event - do you know it? 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Did my first 10 miler last Saturday - joints were a bit sore but otherwise felt good. Beat 5x PBs yesterday (5k, 1k, 2 mile, 1 mile and half mile). Going to try another 10 miles plus tomorrow. Hope my joints hold out!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    That’s the one! It seems a very low key event - do you know it? 
    Oh yeah! It’s Kingston to Barnes - I live in Twickenham and do most of my training along the river. It’s a flat course, but not exactly easy as the path is a bit bumpy in places and can get very muddy when it’s wet. There’s a bit near Mortlake where it never really dries out and can be a real bog at times. That said, it looks a fun event. I don’t know why I haven’t done it myself. Might have a look to see if it’s still open. 

It’s Nov 6 I see. I’m tempted to enter. Might see how Brighton goes next weekend first. I’ve got the Cabbage Patch 10 in Oct too. 
  • 26.2 said:
    It’s Nov 6 I see. I’m tempted to enter. Might see how Brighton goes next weekend first. I’ve got the Cabbage Patch 10 in Oct too. 
    Sounds like it’s on your doorstep so why not!

Nearer the time I’ll need to make a decision. Road or trail shoes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've signed up for Cambridge half! Bit nervous as I've never done a half marathon before, let alone an event. But I did 11 miles last Saturday and will am for 12 tomorrow. 5 weeks to go. Any advice?
  • Bidley said:
    I've signed up for Cambridge half! Bit nervous as I've never done a half marathon before, let alone an event. But I did 11 miles last Saturday and will am for 12 tomorrow. 5 weeks to go. Any advice?
    Entirely pace related for me. Set out slower than you think necessary. Try and tune out mentally. I also try and make sure my foot strike is nice and straight and even… I’ve done a couple now, and your legs start to hurt around 16k ish - so it’s about minimising the strain for that last 5k. I give myself a little pep talk around that distance too, as daft as it sounds; reminding myself that as hard as it currently is, if you offered me a 16k head start on completing 21.1k on any given day I’d snap your hand off. That last little bit of focus got me over the line both times. My second one came in at 1:56, which was tolerable… though at the moment just completing is all I aim at.