Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Yep, I'm the same, getting out, putting the tunes on and getting the blood pumping is so good for my mental health.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just back from this mornings run; Fourth 5k in a row now in the mid 22’s finish time. Feels like some kind of progress. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    Just back from this mornings run; Fourth 5k in a row now in the mid 22’s finish time. Feels like some kind of progress. 
    That’s really good! I can only get in the 22s on park runs these days - usually by trying to hang on to someone faster for as long as possible. I can turn out 23s no problem, but that little extra feels pretty hard. 

I managed a very slow 10K to test my dodgy hamstring yesterday and came through pretty much ok. I didn’t dare go too fast as that’s when it gets tight. I think I’m going to try and up the speed gradually this week with plenty of stretching in between runs. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7175
    edited October 2021
    26.2 said:
    Just back from this mornings run; Fourth 5k in a row now in the mid 22’s finish time. Feels like some kind of progress. 
    That’s really good! I can only get in the 22s on park runs these days - usually by trying to hang on to someone faster for as long as possible. I can turn out 23s no problem, but that little extra feels pretty hard. 

I managed a very slow 10K to test my dodgy hamstring yesterday and came through pretty much ok. I didn’t dare go too fast as that’s when it gets tight. I think I’m going to try and up the speed gradually this week with plenty of stretching in between runs. 
    Stretching has definitely been key to me managing to sustain and improve over the last few months. I used to get a bunch of niggly injuries just when I got going, but since I started doing a warm down after runs with a few routine stretches, and then resistance band exercises each evening for strengthening my hips it’s made a massive difference. Sounds a lot of faff, but they only take 5 mins or so and are definitely worth it. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    26.2 said:

Stretching has definitely been key to me managing to sustain and improve over the last few months. I used to get a bunch of niggly injuries just when I got going, but since I started doing a warm down after runs with a few routine stretches, and then resistance band exercises each evening for strengthening my hips it’s made a massive difference. Sounds a lot of faff, but they only take 5 mins or so and are definitely worth it. 
    Great consistency on the 5ks. Agree on the benefit of warming up/down. Since I started doing my pre and post-run routines the injuries have reduced. I also give my legs a jump start with a massage gun before most runs. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:

Great consistency on the 5ks. Agree on the benefit of warming up/down. Since I started doing my pre and post-run routines the injuries have reduced. I also give my legs a jump start with a massage gun before most runs. 
    Any recommendations on a massage gun?

• I got the physion. It’s really good to be fair. The better condition I’m in now means I use it far less, but it’s definitely good. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    Only 52.9 km for Sept for me as having some issues with treadmill motor again. I did sneak in a couple of spin sessions to make up for it but I dont feel like they are as good. 
    A bit or cross training will be useful. Apologies as I don’t know your circumstances but a busted treadmill must surely be an excuse to run outside? 

For me, getting out, and away from it all is a big part of the enjoyment.  I’m lucky I’ve got canals and parks close to home and can get off road easily. But I even joy my road routes - particularly late at night when traffic is reduced and air quality is better. 
    I do quite like the treadmill for a few reasons, partly as I am shite at pacing myself so the I dont have to think about that on a treadmill and also partly because I quite like sticking some live gigs on you tube on the tv Ive got opposite it on the wall and just zoning out. 

Could do a few outside ones while Im getting it sorted though. Last time it broke I started to get some knee issues after about 3 or 4 runs. Im guessing as the concrete isnt as forgiving as the treadmill deck but Ive been doing squats as part of my warm up since then so hopefully a bit more joint stability would help that. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited October 2021
    26.2 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:

Any recommendations on a massage gun?

I just got one off Amazon. They’re all a slight variation on the same theme -  this is the one I bought. 

Massage Gun, C+ Muscle Massage Gun 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FD999XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E006JY1M4T8CVG2GA97Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It does the job. I just give my legs muscles a blast to ‘activate them’ then some dynamic stretching before a run.

I also always wear decent compression shorts (tights in the cooler weather). Not sure what helps most, or if it’s a combination of everything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    Only 52.9 km for Sept for me as having some issues with treadmill motor again. I did sneak in a couple of spin sessions to make up for it but I dont feel like they are as good. 
    A bit or cross training will be useful. Apologies as I don’t know your circumstances but a busted treadmill must surely be an excuse to run outside? 

For me, getting out, and away from it all is a big part of the enjoyment.  I’m lucky I’ve got canals and parks close to home and can get off road easily. But I even joy my road routes - particularly late at night when traffic is reduced and air quality is better. 
    I do quite like the treadmill for a few reasons, partly as I am shite at pacing myself so the I dont have to think about that on a treadmill and also partly because I quite like sticking some live gigs on you tube on the tv Ive got opposite it on the wall and just zoning out. 

Could do a few outside ones while Im getting it sorted though. Last time it broke I started to get some knee issues after about 3 or 4 runs. Im guessing as the concrete isnt as forgiving as the treadmill deck but Ive been doing squats as part of my warm up since then so hopefully a bit more joint stability would help that. 

I thought there might be a reason. That’s fair enough. Concrete wouldn’t be as forgiving but if you can get off-road that might help. If you do get out you could forget about pace and just try and enjoy it. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:

I thought there might be a reason. That’s fair enough. Concrete wouldn’t be as forgiving but if you can get off-road that might help. If you do get out you could forget about pace and just try and enjoy it. 
    I mean I go way too fast at the beginning and end up knackered too quick lol. :) 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    I completed Manchester marathon yesterday. It was a tough gig. I’ve recently been plagued with tendinitis in both achilles and have been having physio every week for the last 4 weeks. I was hoping to ruin a 3:20 but the injury meant i had to run slower. Then at mile 16 both achilles stiffened and from there on in it was a bloody slog. Ended up with 3:38 which I’m happy with considering I could hardly run for the last 10 miles. Anyone else do the Manchester marathon or half?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    russpm said:
    I completed Manchester marathon yesterday. It was a tough gig. I’ve recently been plagued with tendinitis in both achilles and have been having physio every week for the last 4 weeks. I was hoping to ruin a 3:20 but the injury meant i had to run slower. Then at mile 16 both achilles stiffened and from there on in it was a bloody slog. Ended up with 3:38 which I’m happy with considering I could hardly run for the last 10 miles. Anyone else do the Manchester marathon or half?
    Congratulations. That’s a great time still - injury or no injury. Much faster than I could hope to finish a marathon. 

I’m tapering now for my first in Nov. I’m hoping for under 4 hours based on current training/progress.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Anyone doing the Cambridge half this weekend?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    russpm said:

Wow that's a great time! I hope your injuries subside a little after that. But seriously, well done.

Me!
    Bidley said:
    russpm said:

Wow that's a great time! I hope your injuries subside a little after that. But seriously, well done.

Me!
    Thanks mate and good luck with the HM
    Iamnobody said:
    russpm said:
    Congratulations. That’s a great time still - injury or no injury. Much faster than I could hope to finish a marathon. 

I’m tapering now for my first in Nov. I’m hoping for under 4 hours based on current training/progress.
    Thanks pal and the best of luck for your marathon 
  • I have an ankle niggle that is preventing me from running since last week and it’s bumming me out. Totally innocuous and I’ve no idea what caused it - I just noticed a twinge on the front of my ankle during a routine ten that’s kind of a warm pain around the joint, dead centre, and it hasn’t gone away - I don’t want to run on it and make it worse, but similarly I don’t want to lose fitness so I’m really already at the point where im contemplating running on it anyway. Anyone else had this?
    I have an ankle niggle that is preventing me from running since last week and it’s bumming me out. Totally innocuous and I’ve no idea what caused it - I just noticed a twinge on the front of my ankle during a routine ten that’s kind of a warm pain around the joint, dead centre, and it hasn’t gone away - I don’t want to run on it and make it worse, but similarly I don’t want to lose fitness so I’m really already at the point where im contemplating running on it anyway. Anyone else had this?
    No I haven’t had that - but talking to more seasoned runners the phrase that always crops up is listen to your body. If it doesn’t feel right don’t try to run through it unless you’ve had some diagnosis/indication that it’ll be ok. 

I spent a lot of time injured in my first year of running so had to look at other things to maintain fitness. Indoor rowing, skipping and a bit of cycling were all possible whilst running wasn’t. I guess it depends on the nature of your problem though. 
    russpm said:
    Excellent time - well done!