Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    26.2 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    26.2 said:
    Anyone out this weekend? Beautiful running weather here - I did a fairly slow but comfortable 24K along the Thames towpath this morning. 
    Nice distance.

7 miles on Friday night for me and 7 again tonight; I usually run on Sunday mornings but have myself the morning off. 

I only run 3 times a week spread out as much as possible eg Wed, Fri and Sun. 

The weather is great in as much as my favourite footpaths and towpaths are drying out and can be used trouble free again. There was a little bit of snow tonight though!

Good work. I find it really difficult to run in the evenings. Got to be first thing for me if I can. Anyone else like this?
    It’s just a matter of fitting it in where I can. In term time I’m taking the kids to school at ~ 8am so I’d have to be up and out early. I don’t get a lot of sleep so getting up at 5am to go running isn’t very appealing. 

I tend to do indoor rowing in the morning as I can get a decent workout done in 30 mins.

Sunday I  usually do a morning run and I’m generally quicker - but I don’t find it difficult at night it’s just what I’m used to doing.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    26.2 said:
    I've developed lower back pain which I think is sciatica - I'm going to try and run it off gently. Any tips? Stretches, massage, rest? I'll try a doctor if it doesn't ease in the next few days.

I've lost my momentum in the last 2 weeks, so my mission for April is to find that again just by doing frequent gentle runs. Lighter evenings means I should be cycling more often instead/as well.

April target: 40 miles, 5K in 22:30, 5 miles 39:00
    Could be tight hamstrings or/and glutes.
    When I do long runs I sometimes get a similar pain in my lower back.

Stretching sorts it out
    I’d say stretching *can* sort it out, but you might want to think about some core exercises to try and strengthen the area. Things like planks, side planks and Russian twists are good for lower core strength. 

Also try and work hard at keeping upright during longer runs - it’s very easy to hunch over when you’re tired and that doesn’t help. (I am terrible at following this advice :) )

Having said all of this - be careful with your back - it’s easy to injure and hard to fix, so get proper advice if it persists. 
    I would have thought something like glute bridges, single leg squats and dorsal raises would be more specific. 

I'm not dismissing core work, as it is very valuable. Although things like planks are a bit meh (to a point).
    It's worth looking at something like athleanx on YouTube for core work or possibly something supplementary like kettlebells or club bells
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I think I'm back in the game after upsetting one of my achilles 3 weeks ago.  I didn't run for two weeks, then managed 3 runs last week (3k - not too bad, 7k - that was overdoing it, 5k - about right).  After the last of those 3 runs, the recovery improved greatly and the achilles is noticeably less stiff, especially noticeable first thing in the morning - thats when it was worst.  Went out for a 7k last night which was fine from a physical POV.  Achilles felt fine this morning.
    Started a full time job this week after 5 years part-time self-employed working.  As with many jobs atm its working from home only.  I'm trying to figure out the organisation and understand the engineering and tech that we deal with, as well as wade through a ton of 'onboarding' information (policies etc) - which means long hours staring at a screen.  Its a bit of a shock to the system.  Thankfully, there is little pressure on me at the moment, but the fatigue from all this screen time is shite.  The hardest bit of last nights run was mental.  I just wanted to stop, which is a feeling I haven't had with running for quite a few months.  I'm thinking for tomorrow's run I'll get out in the middle of the day while I'm still feeling relatively fresh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    BahHumbug said:
    I think I'm back in the game after upsetting one of my achilles 3 weeks ago.  I didn't run for two weeks, then managed 3 runs last week (3k - not too bad, 7k - that was overdoing it, 5k - about right).  After the last of those 3 runs, the recovery improved greatly and the achilles is noticeably less stiff, especially noticeable first thing in the morning - thats when it was worst.  Went out for a 7k last night which was fine from a physical POV.  Achilles felt fine this morning.
    Started a full time job this week after 5 years part-time self-employed working.  As with many jobs atm its working from home only.  I'm trying to figure out the organisation and understand the engineering and tech that we deal with, as well as wade through a ton of 'onboarding' information (policies etc) - which means long hours staring at a screen.  Its a bit of a shock to the system.  Thankfully, there is little pressure on me at the moment, but the fatigue from all this screen time is shite.  The hardest bit of last nights run was mental.  I just wanted to stop, which is a feeling I haven't had with running for quite a few months.  I'm thinking for tomorrow's run I'll get out in the middle of the day while I'm still feeling relatively fresh.
    Afternoon running is my favourite time too. I try and take an extended lunch break on a Thursday, which is generally when I feel my best. 

Orherwise I’m mostly running at night at the mo, which I don’t mind(especially with the nicer weather) but it is harder after a long day staring at a screen. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Got a 5km in on my lunch break, nice day for it!
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    Good news on the Achilles @BahHumbug  

Apparently there are performance benefits to running in the afternoon, some studies have shown. But it’s never worked for me, even though sometimes it’s the only time available. Also most competitive races start early so I like to kind of get in sync with that, especially for long runs. 

I’ve got a marathon in 4 weeks (assuming it goes ahead) and 2 long runs to do before I taper. I’m going to try and get out early tomorrow and do 30-32K, depending on how I feel. I did an absolutely horrific 34K 3 weeks ago - hit the wall horribly early and the last 10K or so were torture.  So I’m a bit wary of pushing it tomorrow.  

edited April 2021
    26.2 said:

Apparently there are performance benefits to running in the afternoon, some studies have shown. But it’s never worked for me, even though sometimes it’s the only time available. Also most competitive races start early so I like to kind of get in sync with that, especially for long runs. 

I’ve got a marathon in 4 weeks (assuming it goes ahead) and 2 long runs to do before I taper. I’m going to try and get out early tomorrow and do 30-32K, depending on how I feel. I did an absolutely horrific 34K 3 weeks ago - hit the wall horribly early and the last 10K or so were torture.  So I’m a bit wary of pushing it tomorrow.  

Do you use specific hydration for longer runs? I can highly recommend tailwind. Got me through Ironman Copenhagen! So good for longer events and easy to digest.

5 miles again this afternoon. Felt quick on first half and obviously went off too quick as tapered off lol

glad to be halfway to my weekly goal. Not sure the legs will take another 15 though 
    joneve said:
    26.2 said:

Do you use specific hydration for longer runs? I can highly recommend tailwind. Got me through Ironman Copenhagen! So good for longer events and easy to digest.

5 miles again this afternoon. Felt quick on first half and obviously went off too quick as tapered off lol

glad to be halfway to my weekly goal. Not sure the legs will take another 15 though 
    Will look into Tailwind - thanks!  I normally just go with a combination of SIS gels and water. 

I did a really solid 27K on Friday - dropped the pace a bit and was still pretty strong at the end. But......they’ve postponed the marathon on 16th May as local council haven’t confirmed permission to close some roads. Hopefully it’ll just get pushed back a couple of weeks. There’s a 10K inside Kew Gardens instead on 16th so I’ll do that. At least it’s a race! 
    26.2 said:
    joneve said:
    26.2 said:

Will look into Tailwind - thanks!  I normally just go with a combination of SIS gels and water. 

I did a really solid 27K on Friday - dropped the pace a bit and was still pretty strong at the end. But......they’ve postponed the marathon on 16th May as local council haven’t confirmed permission to close some roads. Hopefully it’ll just get pushed back a couple of weeks. There’s a 10K inside Kew Gardens instead on 16th so I’ll do that. At least it’s a race! 
    Tailwind negates the need for gels. It’s kind of all in one. absolutely magical stuff! 
    Shot for my first sub-40 min 5 miler tonight. Hit the wall Around 3.5 miles and ended up with 40:53. Equal parts disappointing and pleased as I’ve improved my 5 mile time each time on my last 4 runs
    joneve said:
    Shot for my first sub-40 min 5 miler tonight. Hit the wall Around 3.5 miles and ended up with 40:53. Equal parts disappointing and pleased as I’ve improved my 5 mile time each time on my last 4 runs
    Great work. Maybe you went off a bit fast? 
    26.2 said:
    joneve said:
    Aye. Always do. Haha! But felt mostly ok to that point. Was hard work but had a good rhythm. Didn’t help that the last 1.5 miles was an incline all the way too. 
    joneve said:
    26.2 said:
    joneve said:
    Aye. Always do. Haha! But felt mostly ok to that point. Was hard work but had a good rhythm. Didn’t help that the last 1.5 miles was an incline all the way too. 
    Yes I do that, although I’m experimenting with slower starts and negative splits a bit. The question is whether you can bank more time by going out fast, than you can make up by holding back and then caning the last part. Most experienced runners will tell you the latter is the best approach and I’m coming round to it!  For 10K I normally try and blast the first 5K then hang back for 2-3 K before a second blast (if I can). But I’ve had some decent results by slowly winding it up throughout so that each K is faster than the last. The trick is to know the right starting pace. It’s all good fun! 
    26.2 said:
    joneve said:
    26.2 said:
    joneve said:
    Yes I do that, although I’m experimenting with slower starts and negative splits a bit. The question is whether you can bank more time by going out fast, than you can make up by holding back and then caning the last part. Most experienced runners will tell you the latter is the best approach and I’m coming round to it!  For 10K I normally try and blast the first 5K then hang back for 2-3 K before a second blast (if I can). But I’ve had some decent results by slowly winding it up throughout so that each K is faster than the last. The trick is to know the right starting pace. It’s all good fun! 
    Aye; I’ve always been of the mindset, go off a bit quicker than scheduled pace and bank as much time as possible for later in the run. Might try some negative split stuff though 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I'm no expert but my recent experience was that I preferred to start comfortably, and ramp up as and when I felt it was sensible. I guess the more you run, the better you know what you can handle, so you can do it the other way around. I tried a fast 5k recently, and killed myself in the first mile and then had to cling on throughout the next 2. It was pretty quick overall, but I didn't like it.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    A milestone update - I did my first half marathon distance yesterday. 

I had no expectation but to finish it and try and stay under 10 min miles.

Ended up doing it in 2:05:38 (13.28 miles).

What was pleasing was I still had plenty in the tank and managed to run the last mile at a sub 9 min pace. My other splits were all surprisingly consistent ~ 9:30 as well. 

The plan is 26.2 by the end of the year. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:

What was pleasing was I still had plenty in the tank and managed to run the last mile at a sub 9 min pace. My other splits were all surprisingly consistent ~ 9:30 as well. 

That’s great work. Sounds like you approached it in exactly the right way - aim for a realistic pace and keep it consistent. Surprisingly hard to get right! Well done! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:

Brilliant, well done chap!
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Iamnobody said:

Wow.  Well done.  My experience of halfs is always that I’m struggling at the end and really have to push just to keep moving.  You must have a really good base established.
    edited April 2021
    Progress update for April so far: 18 runs, 183K 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom