Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    anyone had 'oma paloma blanca' in their list yet by Jonathan King

and what about Hoddle and Waddle - Diamond Lights 

Slyvia - Y viva Espania

and top of any shit song list should be - Baby Shark - yet 8,040,227,118 hits to date on youtube
    My 3 year old grandson absolutely loves Baby Shark. I suspect he’s the target audience.  7 billion of those hits are probably him. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • First show is on www.abbey104.com at 11am you can listen via Alexa, tune in, or straight to website above 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    One has just entered my brain so now you all have to suffer.

"Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" by Brian and Michael.  Pass the sick bucket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    Anything performed by somebody better known for something outside music.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    O Superman - Laurie Anderson.
    How did that dross become a hit?
  • How did any of them to be honest, had a few interesting comments during my show.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    proggy said:
    I think I’ve mentioned before in this Discussion that I bought it and do like it but to answer your question I was listening to something the other day and OS got mentioned, the answer to your question being that apparently it was plugged to death by John Peel.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Regarding Mustang Sally..

Before The Commitments was released I played in a band with a horn section covering 60s soul stuff backing a really good singer.

We covered the Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, James Brown etc, but never Mustang Sally.  The big Wilson Pickett hits were Midnight Hour and Land of 1000 dances.

Don't get me wrong, we weren't deliberately avoiding it because we didn't like it. 
    It was on the sampler that was my own introduction to 60s soul and I liked nearly every track including that one. But we were trying to pick the best songs in that genre, and the ones the punters would like best, and that one came up in discussions a couple of times but it was always a bit borderline and never quite made the cut.

I would never have believed that it became THE crowd-pleaser from that genre for cover bands to do and has become so ubiquitous that people hate it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    @koneguitarist is it on the play again feature on the Abbey website? It’s not jumping out at me which show it is ( if it is available). 
  • @koneguitarist is it on the play again feature on the Abbey website? It’s not jumping out at me which show it is ( if it is available). 
    Will see what I can sort, wasn’t intended to be. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    I think I’ve mentioned before in this Discussion that I bought it and do like it but to answer your question I was listening to something the other day and OS got mentioned, the answer to your question being that apparently it was plugged to death by John Peel.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. He certainly did have eclectic tastes.
  • http://abbey104.com/play-it-again
    Awful songs vol 1 is ready to hear again, if you’re desperate or mad! 
    You got Cinderella Rockerfella in! That was much worse than I remembered. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Looks like nobody has mentioned Crazy Frog ringtone mash up - does my head in.

And I'd like to reclaim Mungo Jerry, they were bloody great !  I think that it was a hit because of the controversy of the B Side - Mighty Man, complete with a dig at Harold Wilson, and the BBC couldn't cope.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    You got Cinderella Rockerfella in! That was much worse than I remembered. 
    on about crap from the 60's - How about 'march of the mods' by the Joe Loss Orchestra - And you'd think a band like that would know better

tFB Trader
    How about Kenny - and The Bump

• How about Kenny - and The Bump

Got this in a show in next couple of weeks, not played March of the mods yet though. 
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - I bet many would love a party band playing a host of these 'good time Butlin's style' cabaret songs and as such acts exists for this market - I bet a band would earn more money playing such songs, plus get more work, than another 'talented pentatonic blues band' - Or indeed the All right now/boys are back in town/ Sweet home Alabama band
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - I bet many would love a party band playing a host of these 'good time Butlin's style' cabaret songs and as such acts exists for this market - I bet a band would earn more money playing such songs, plus get more work, than another 'talented pentatonic blues band' - Or indeed the All right now/boys are back in town/ Sweet home Alabama band
    When I was playing covers I struggled a bit with ‘I am (somehow) a serious artiste’ vs the expectations of pissed up people in a pub. I often thought the one solution would be to just abandon any sense of dignity and only play the most OTT nonsense.  
    If I ever do it again that might be the plan. I think there’d be pub gigs, festivals in it. 

Snoopy vs The Red Baron was on that playlist but I’d cheerfully jump on stage ( ooh me back...) to knock out the reggae version...

https://youtu.be/O0qvCnoxFmI
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    When I was in a covers band I was quickly disabused of any notions of credibility, it's show business and I didn't care what I played so long as the audience enjoyed it.  For instance, one of our go to songs was actually "Wig Wam Bam" originally by the Sweet.  It's actually quite fun to play, but as some will know, there are women of a certain age who learned the little dance that folk did to the song BITD.  A bit like the Time Warp (and I've seen many a hardened rocker dancing to that).

I remember a story told to me about this semi pro band who were booked to play at a wedding reception.  They spent an hour just playing their own material until an exasperated father of the bride came up and pleaded with them "Lads, don't you know any tunes...."