I know you shouldn't laugh but...

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    I like to see guitar in it's raw form; no flashy effects or anything to help the sound along and give a false indication of skill level, which this guy demonstrates perfectly. I didn't actually laugh or find it in the slightest bit funny, because I sound like this too when I'm noodling along in my dining room.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2021
    Kebabkid said:
    Bigsby said:

A well measured response to a number of posts that have struck me as being surprisingly critical, given the mild nature of the original post: "I don't wish to be cruel but there is something about this vid that really tickles me..."

Nice bit of selective quoting. The subsequent “surprisingly critical” comments are more around the rest of the post that you haven’t quoted. 

A lot of us weren’t particularly enamoured by the next bit which is actually quite critical. Quite rightly a number of people have said that the culture of criticising playing by people who are prepared to put their playing out there isn’t helpful - particularly if we want to encourage people to post their stuff, as receiving constructive feedback can be immensely helpful. 
    If we are thinking of reaching out to this guy, it might be an idea to remove the thread
    Actually, I disagree.

If I’d have posted that vid and came here and saw this thread I’d see one person being harsh and not particularly constructive, followed by quite a few people disagreeing and being supportive - after which I’d probably want to join and stick around. 
    Yep, I see that and that's a better, wiser and more positive approach :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Sassafras said:
    Jealousy. It's always jealousy that prompts derision. There's never any other reason for hating 'on' someone.
    I hereby attest, before anyone who cares to read this, that I am not remotely jealous of Laurence Fox.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18817
    ^ Knew there'd be a knob gag eventually  ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5760
    Sassafras said:
    Jealousy. It's always jealousy that prompts derision. There's never any other reason for hating 'on' someone.
    I hereby attest, before anyone who cares to read this, that I am not remotely jealous of Laurence Fox.
    Oh I’m not sure. I’d quite like to hang out with Billie. Maybe have met David Tenant and John Hurt. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2954
    edited March 2021
    Bigsby said:

A well measured response to a number of posts that have struck me as being surprisingly critical, given the mild nature of the original post: "I don't wish to be cruel but there is something about this vid that really tickles me..."

Nice bit of selective quoting. The subsequent “surprisingly critical” comments are more around the rest of the post that you haven’t quoted. 

A lot of us weren’t particularly enamoured by the next bit which is actually quite critical. Quite rightly a number of people have said that the culture of criticising playing by people who are prepared to put their playing out there isn’t helpful - particularly if we want to encourage people to post their stuff, as receiving constructive feedback can be immensely helpful. 
    Interesting. My 'selective quoting' was intended to highlight what I thought was the contentious part of the original post, i.e. the expression of amusement at the video, was I wrong about that? I was not trying to hide the comments that followed, as a reminder, here's the rest of it:

...proudly owning a PSR Silver Sky Nebular certainly hasn't made him the next SRV has it? 

Bless him, I'm not sure he's as good as he thinks he is but at least he does have 73 subscribers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Nebular finish a highly desirable one that caused these guitars to significantly jump in value the moment new stocks sold out? I seem to recall private sellers being called 'scalpers'. Do you really think the video was simply intended to demonstrate the owners skill as a guitarist - something your comment seems to imply - and that the first post was simply criticising someone's playing ability? If so, I would agree that would be 'off' here.

To me, the text quoted above makes it obvious that the context here is quite different. The reference to the PSR Silver Sky Nebular suggests to me that the OP's interpreting this video as as a demonstration of the posters ability to own a rare and expensive guitar, rather than their ability to play it. It's this context that makes it amusing, not the abilities of the player.

It's a bit like putting an olympic sized swimming pool in your garden, and showing it off to the world with a video where you demonstrate your inability to swim a width of it. Doing so might be expected to raise a few smiles... [But of course, there's nothing wrong with owning an Olympic-sized pool, even if you cant swim]
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    Breaking news, just in, Kevin responds ..

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2368
    I think he's telling us he has two of them... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Bigsby said:
    Bigsby said:

Interesting. My 'selective quoting' was intended to highlight what I thought was the contentious part of the original post, i.e. the expression of amusement at the video, was I wrong about that? I was not trying to hide the comments that followed, as a reminder, here's the rest of it:

...proudly owning a PSR Silver Sky Nebular certainly hasn't made him the next SRV has it? 

Bless him, I'm not sure he's as good as he thinks he is but at least he does have 73 subscribers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Nebular finish a highly desirable one that caused these guitars to significantly jump in value the moment new stocks sold out? I seem to recall private sellers being called 'scalpers'. Do you really think the video was simply intended to demonstrate the owners skill as a guitarist - something your comment seems to imply - and that the first post was simply criticising someone's playing ability? If so, I would agree that would be 'off' here.

To me, the text quoted above makes it obvious that the context here is quite different. The reference to the PSR Silver Sky Nebular suggests to me that the OP's interpreting this video as as a demonstration of the posters ability to own a rare and expensive guitar, rather than their ability to play it. It's this context that makes it amusing, not the abilities of the player.

It's a bit like putting an olympic sized swimming pool in your garden, and showing it off to the world with a video where you demonstrate your inability to swim a width of it. Doing so might be expected to raise a few smiles... [But of course, there's nothing wrong with owning an Olympic-sized pool, even if you cant swim]
    Eh? So the OP is laughing at the guy in the video’s ability to own a rare and expensive guitar that the OP has just bought himself?

In which case the OP makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Ddigger said:
    Is that Nebulas or Nebulae?

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    Ddigger said:
    More a case of "Far Queue mate, Fa'Queues All " Id say ..
    Ddigger said:
    Is one black hole not enough?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Ddigger said:
    Ddigger said:
    I'll ask my son he's into space

edited March 2021
    AK99 said:

Number two - the larch. The larch.

THINKS: That headstock reminds me of Starfield. They even used a similar shade of Lilac. Perhaps, Ibanez should resort to litigation?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2954
    edited March 2021

Eh? So the OP is laughing at the guy in the video’s ability to own a rare and expensive guitar that the OP has just bought himself?

In which case the OP makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    Wow, is it really that difficult to understand the relevance of context, or are you working hard at it?

...there is something about this vid that really tickles me, proudly owning a PSR Silver Sky Nebular certainly hasn't made him...

"there is something in this vid" is not the same as "this guys playing", the latter being merely one element that alone, or in a different context, would not be able to tickle to quite the same degree. Had he filmed himself in a room playing a Strat (or less rare and sought after Silver Sky) I doubt this topic would exist, as there'd be little in it to be amused by.

(I obviously can't speak for the OP, but they've been here a while, and YouTube has plenty of videos of not-so-great playing, I don't recall seeing the OP sharing or commenting before, so I guess the context here might just be slightly different, no?)

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Yes the context is different because a man who isn't world class has dared to invest serious money in his hobby. This is cause for amusement apparently.
    Ddigger said:
    Ddigger said:
    I'll ask my son he's into space
    Not entirely sure what the actual definition of a nebula is.  Not my line of work. 
  • MagicBusMagicBus Frets: 104
    To those smugly taking the piss, you'd be better off using the time in practice. Oh, hang on a minute, if you're taking the piss you obviously have superior guitar skills and don't need the practice, so carry on! 
    Less is more
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Bigsby said:

Wow, is it really that difficult to understand the relevance of context, or are you working hard at 

Wow. Is it really that difficult to understand that this post attracted a lot of flags and a good number of members didn’t like it, or are you working hard at being argumentative?

Time, perhaps, for somebody to design plectrum-shaped emoticons for irony and sarcasm. :neutral: