Expensive pedals that have been worth it

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Sassafras said:
    Not an effect pedal but a pedal sized amp.
    The ZVex Nano Head.
    Utterly brilliant little thing.
    I had one of those but the fan noise drove me nuts, even after Zachary gave me instructions to make it quieter. I don’t know if mine just had an unusually noisy one but it made it difficult to use quietly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited March 2021
    Origin Revival Trem. Most expensive pedal I've ever bought and I umm-ed and ah-ed for a long time, but it's a little box of happiness for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    I love the Strymon Deco. Great pedal, can do tape chorus, flange, great great slapback or single repeat tape delay. And the tape saturation sounds phenomenal to me. Sometimes I actually prefer using it as my drive sound rather than use my actual drive pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Not an effect pedal but a pedal sized amp.
    The ZVex Nano Head.
    Utterly brilliant little thing.
    I had one of those but the fan noise drove me nuts, even after Zachary gave me instructions to make it quieter. I don’t know if mine just had an unusually noisy one but it made it difficult to use quietly.
    I think maybe you were unlucky, mine isn't that noticeable.
    It's certainly quieter than any laptops I've owned.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 669
    Over the years, the upper limit I set myself always seems to increase with GAS, as I’m sure is the same of most people. 

I started out with a board where the pedals were all less than £100, and now I have a few Kingsley on there. I can still remember a few pedals throughout the journey that I thought I’d never own due to the price.

As someone already said, expensive pedals usually are pretty good. 

I remember a Wampler Super Plextortion was probably my first, and it was great! I actually regret selling it and often have a look for them popping up second hand. 

Revival Drive was a biggy. Stunning pedal. 

Kingsley Harlot - although after hearing this I had less reservations about buying the rest of the Kingsleys I currently own, as it was THAT good. Love my Jester and Constable 
  • Great idea for a thread. Some of the gear I've gone through has been astronomical in price and I'm not sure all of them justified their price tag, I'd be lying if I said they did. But they all brought some kind of happiness to a mundane day at one point in time, so for me, everything I bought was worth it in some way...even the stuff I moved on quickly, because that's a worthwhile learning process too.

My favourite is probably the Cornish SS-3. That one brought a huge smile to my face when I first plugged it in.

Second, likely the Origin Cali 76.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Vemuram Rage E - some great tones in it and it stacks very well into a Klone, or with a Klone into it.

RockFabrik Effects Mind Abuse - a great high gain pedal with plenty of flexibility.

Origin Effects Cali76/RevivalDRIVE/ RevivalDRIVE Compact - so so good, but helps if you put some time into them to get them just right as they're quite reactive to different amps. 

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    edited March 2021
    The Hudson Broadcast Dual was a little over my usual limit for a dual OD pedal and I had it for sale a week after I bought it but, like most of my favorite stuff, I had to get my ears used to it and it kicked the KoT clone that has been my main drive since 2011 off the board now!
    Not counting multi-fx and a Flint I had briefly and sold for a small profit, I believe that was the most expensive pedal I ever bought.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Sassafras said:

I have wondered about trying another one, but the prices are absolutely bonkers now :(. It was such a great-sounding little thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Kingsley Harlot and Page. Stupid but very happy
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    edited March 2021
    I don't think I've ever spent over £200 on a pedal, and most of the ones I've spent that sort of money on have been delays- DL-4 and DD-500 were well worth it, Vox Delaylab wasn't quite so great. (My DD-20 would have been worth it too when it was new, but I got mine used for much less)

I also spent quite a lot on a Foxrox ZIM, but it was in the early 2000s when the exchange rate was nearly $2 to the pound. Also we'll worth it.

My ES-5 at £250 used was probably the most I've ever spent on anything that went on my pedalboard, and again, it was worth every penny.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Paul Cochrane  Tim
    Hudson Broadcast Dual
    EHX POG2
    and
    Boss DD-500

Are all excellent and have been on my gig board since purchase. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    I'm not really a pedal guy but I haven't kept any of the expensive or boutique distortion/overdrives I've had in the past. Most of the time I don't think they justify the cost! Only things that seem to last for me are the "standards" - tubescreamer, Boss pedals etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    Korg SDD 3000 I got from @Wazmeister from this parish - absolutely the dogs nuts. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    My Cornish TES.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Yamaha UD stomp. So good that I bought two. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Cali76 Compact Deluxe 
    Boss DD-500 
    Strymon Sunset 
    Strymon Flint 
    Morningstar MC6 

Heck, thats a pedalboard right there....
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    El Capistan and Deco. Greer Lightspeed. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I know its a bone of contention but I love my RYRA Klone, it was an upgrade from my EXH Soul Food but to be honest I could probably find space for the Soul Food on my board still.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:

I have wondered about trying another one, but the prices are absolutely bonkers now :(. It was such a great-sounding little thing.
    The prices would have to be insane before I'd ever think of selling mine.
    I intend leaving it to my son in my will  :)