Expensive pedals that have been worth it

What's Hot

Comments

• Tris999Tris999 Frets: 0
    Friedman Fuzz Fiend. High fuzz didn't impress tbh but at low fuzz settings, beautifully dirty od. Also Supro Drive. On its own mediocre. But stacked through Greer Tomahawk, it's brutal! In a good way! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    paulnb57 said:
    Hudson Sidecar, I like it so much I have two on my board, one low gain, one high and a boost for volume increase all through a QMX.and into a Plethora (which is wasted on me really!) ....such is my delight in the Sidecars, Ive not  considered buying any other drive pedals.....thats me, done!....Really!
    I have been having thoughts about the Sidecar. 
    Been using the Broadcast and, being a fan of tube screamers, I wonder if it would have the Broadcast character but with the kick in the mid range. 
    Unfortunately I don't use overdrive pedals that much at the time to justify the price. 
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    Nocturne Mystery Brain - Cost way, way more than I would have thought but a lot of that was shipping and customs charging a pretty penny in fees. Still, the preamp side is basically always on for me and the echo side is my go to for slapback.

SurfyBear Metal - best spring reverb I've heard. Massive, massive pedal though.

Hudson Broadcast Duel - I'm still waiting on it from Regent Sounds (no idea when it's due) but hopefully will be the OD I'm looking for. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    Van Weelden Royal Overdrive

Strymon El Capistan 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Cali76 stacked
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Source Audio Nemesis for me, utterly lovely pedal. Can't fault it.
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    rze99 said:
    Unit 67. 

A combination of compression EQ post and range master. Beautifully applied.  Addictive. 
    I just watched a demo of the Unit 67, sounds pretty amazing 
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 65
    For me it's both the Automatone pedals (Preamp MK2 and CXM 1978). Insane money, and I had to sell other gear to justify the purchases but they do so much and sound unbelievable. 

Also, the DanDrive Secret Machine. Most I've ever spent on a fuzz but it just does a thing that nothing else does.  :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    The most I've spent and not regretted is on a Toneczar Echoczar + AngelBaby rig. Back when the wait was nearly 4 years. It's a superb delay though, really really lovely thing.

The Chase Bliss Mood is tonnes of fun. I like most of their pedals actually but the weird collector community that's popped up around them isn't really for me... :/
  • Chester said:
    Indespesible - Thorpy Fat General. The best £200 + spent on an "always on" pedal. The rest come and go as the mood takes
    I've been pondering adding a compressor as an always-on, though I don't like it to be too squishy... how is the Fat General as always on? Just looking to lift everything and give everything more clarity and articulation rather than squashing my signal too much.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Meris Merc 7 & Polymoon, Flint & El Cap. All good though the latter two are gone.
    Foxrox CC Hybrid fuzz from Joe's. Love that thing. Not up in the rarified pricing stratosphere of some fuzzes but not cheap either.

Not a pedal but biting the bullet and getting a Zuma transformed my board - it solved certain pedals not liking certain chain positions (despite isolated supply) and the base noise level was even less.

And it's blue. Which is nice :)
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited March 2021
    Not particularly expensive but I do like quality stuff that doesn’t affect my tone or dynamics, boost or cut when I don’t want it to or introduce noise. I have found some Mad Prof stuff and the the Providence stuff to suit my taste but have managed not to pay full price for anything so...

MP Forest Green and Mellow Yellow
    Providence Anadime and Stampede 
    MXR Carbon Copy

Quite expensive fails (for me) that I was fortunately able to return...

DLS Rotospin
    Keeley Dynatrem
    Subdecay Vagabond
    Mad Prof Sweet Honey DLX

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    Nocturne El Pescadoro. '40s-'50s Gibson amp preamp + a vibey reverb. If I can't play my old Gibson GA-50T combo, I'm using this pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    KoT- not massively expensive but a bit of a wait. Keeper.
    H9- now maxed out so huge numbers of things to play with. Indispensable and great sounding 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    rsvmark said:
    KoT- not massively expensive but a bit of a wait. Keeper.
    H9- now maxed out so huge numbers of things to play with. Indispensable and great sounding 
    Always fancied a H9.  Still tempted but I can see a successor unit coming out in the not too distant future, so will wait to see what happens.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cols said:
    Catalinbread Talisman.  Stupidly expensive for a pedal that just does plate reverb and that’s it, but it sounds fantastic.
    Exactly the same here.  I ummed and ahhed for ages because it was so expensive, but I'm very glad I did, it sounds just great. 

But that's the last time I'm spending so much on a new pedal.  The 40% reduction in value if you sell on is a kick in the nuts I'm not having anymore.

On the other hand - I went through a lot of modern Phase 90s being unhappy before biting the bullet last year and buying an original MXR script, I had to know.

Again I'm very glad I did, it genuinely sounds great and very authentic.  Should hopefully hold its value as well.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    This thread should be closed. I've got a Revival drive arriving tomorrow and it's all your fault. All of you! B**stards! 

Bit excited, actually. NPD to follow a few days after I've had some playtime.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Frantone Vibutron 
    Empress Tremolo
    EHX DMM (00’s big box)
    El Capistan
    Xotic BB Preamp MB

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3972
    HX Stomp is the most expensive pedal I’ve bought, though it’s obviously got an awful lot in it for the money. It’s great value.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    This thread should be closed. I've got a Revival drive arriving tomorrow and it's all your fault. All of you! B**stards! 

Bit excited, actually. NPD to follow a few days after I've had some playtime.
    I only started the thread to justify some big purchases myself  ;)