Piers Moron quits

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Goes to show how desperate the entertainment industry is that anyone would pay him a penny for so much as a moment in front of a camera or a single written word.  He's like our Donald Trump.  Utter prick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    He's a clever chap, just a shame that the cleverness goes hand-in-hand with being such an arsehole. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's not a complex if you actually are superior - and let's face it, Moron sets the bar pretty low.
    Worrying when you realise he's such a moron but a hell of a lot richer than you ..........he also goes to much better events ,eats in better restaurants and generally has a much more fun and eventful life !
    I actually don't like him but he certainly isn't a Moron
    People seem to forget ......this is his job ;he's paid vast money to provoke,enrage, unify and divide in equal measure.
    He is a journalist/media personality.
    You wouldn't call your Doctor a Moron because you don't like his diagnosis ........You may not like his viewpoint but it's his job.
    As @Gassage said ........he's one of the few journos who is sharp and blunt enough and with enough Gravitas to question government etc 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    edited March 2021
    It's the name Private Eye gives him.  Clearly he isn't an actual moron.  It would be very difficult for a real moron to have the career he's had.  He is many other things though that don't rhyme with Morgan.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Dominic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's not a complex if you actually are superior - and let's face it, Moron sets the bar pretty low.
    Worrying when you realise he's such a moron but a hell of a lot richer than you ..........he also goes to much better events ,eats in better restaurants and generally has a much more fun and eventful life ! 
    These factors do not entail he has a better life, nor do they mean your life will be better if you can do those things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Dominic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I actually don't like him but he certainly isn't a Moron
    People seem to forget ......this is his job ;he's paid vast money to provoke,enrage, unify and divide in equal measure.
    He is a journalist/media personality.
    You wouldn't call your Doctor a Moron because you don't like his diagnosis ........You may not like his viewpoint but it's his job.
    As @Gassage said ........he's one of the few journos who is sharp and blunt enough and with enough Gravitas to question government etc 
    being one of the few folk who get to call senior politicians on they crap is a function mostly of said politicians hiding from others that are very capable of doing so and who do do it. Paxman was great. The current Newsnight cohort are very good - good enough that politicians won't do it. They do breakfast shows because the risk is worth it because of the size of the audience. 

We're supposed to have cabinet government but realistically we don't any more - so there's a vanishingly small pool of senior politicians who are WORTH holding to account (the rest being functionaries) and they are so obedient it just becomes a game of "can you tie them in a knot to make it obvious they haven't got permission to say anything other than the talking points" 

Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    He's a sensitive, caring chap and you're all picking on him like he's got no feelings. He's not made of stone, you know.
    He'd be devastated to read some of these cutting remarks.
    it's very cynical to suggest he's just playing up to the vile persona of someone who loves the sound of his own voice.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Sassafras said:
    He's a sensitive, caring chap and you're all picking on him like he's got no feelings. He's not made of stone, you know.
    it's very cynical to suggest he's just playing up to the vile persona of someone who loves the sound of his own voice.
    ;) Hopefully he will read them - he’s definitely a member...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Iamnobody said:
    Sassafras said:
    Is he a Les Paul or a Strat owner tho?

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    beed84 said:
    Dominic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    These factors do not entail he has a better life, nor do they mean your life will be better if you can do those things. 

Don't be conned into compensating yourself with those sentiments ......it's a myth perpetuated by those who need to maintain a status quo and use religion as a control mechanism .
    Personally, I don't think I came into this world as a baby entitled to any less than somebody born in a more fortunate bed .
    Whatever you have is great and you should enjoy to the full but don't think for one minute that , assuming you have your health ,having plenty of money too isn't a bonus because it sure is.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    Gassage said:
    Piers was the one bloke that was holding the government and others to account.

Dying Laughing I May Have Wet My Pants GIF by Im A Celebrity Get Me Out  Of Here Australia - Find  Share on GIPHY

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Sassafras said:
    Is he a Les Paul or a Strat owner tho?

He's even worse than I thought - he plays bass!  :p
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Gassage said:
    Piers was the one bloke that was holding the government and others to account.

You might not like him but he's a brilliant interviewer and a great journo.

I'll miss his honesty and forthrightness.
    I'm not a fan of Piers Morgan but I think it was good that he introduced a different point of view, rather than accepting the crowd pleasing one all the time. I think the bit that was less helpful was shutting the opponent(s) down, as it's important to hear both sides. If someone is an idiot, let them speak so everyone can acknowledge it e.g. Diane Abbott.
    I'm more stunned as to how much media and analysis and investigation a person has to avoid in order to arrive at the conclusion that Piers Morgan is the only bloke holding the government to account over the course of the entire pandemic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I'm more stunned as to how much media and analysis and investigation a person has to avoid in order to arrive at the conclusion that Piers Morgan is the only bloke holding the government to account over the course of the entire pandemic. 
    Of course he's not the only one, but nobody else has hounded cabinet ministers in interviews about lying about nurse recruitment numbers, dodgy planning permission deals or countless other topics like he has. 

When we're all screaming at our televisions "answer the fucking question!" he's been the only interviewer doing the same on our behalf, while arselickers like Kuenssberg are reading out government press releases like they're actually journalism. 

What's really sad is that the lameness of most political journalists and the refusal of the BBC to hold government to account is highlighted by someone as loathsome, egotistical and self-serving as Piers Morgan.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2261
    I think that the HeraldSun quote

"worlds most privileged victims invite media intrusion"

pretty much sums up the Harry Megan infomercial.

Is it all "true"? I'm sure it is. If that's how they felt about the situation they were in, then that's how they felt.

However, if Piers Morgan were to say he had felt mentally scarred by the Twitterati backlash from expressing his right to freedom of speech, I think the Twitterers are unlikely to support him in his time of need. He's tough enough to look after himself apparently, so hard luck. More sensitive souls are always true and fair in everything that they say. That is a well know fact.
    p90fool said:
    Of course he's not the only one...
    And that's all I was getting at, the nature of Gassage's statement. Piers isn't the only one holding people to account. 

p90fool said:
    Of course he's not the only one, but nobody else has hounded cabinet ministers in interviews about lying about nurse recruitment numbers, dodgy planning permission deals or countless other topics like he has. 

Primarily the Government has been incredibly shithouse at releasing ministers or anyone at times for interviews. Piers hounding people on his lonesome isn't because everyone else is scared. It's down to the government itself restricting access to ministers and spokespersons. As Piers himself actually said last year:

""It's why no government minister will come on this programme or Channel 4 news or Newsnight, or any other shows where they may get difficult questions, they've all been banned.”"

So Piers doing the hounding doesn't make him a lone vigilante. Indeed, the question is why he's got special privileges denied to other broadcasters. By denying access to ministers, programmes end up wheeling out the pundits more and more. Whether it's Toby Young or Grace Blakeley, one reason for denying access to ministers is that you can have an unelected unaccountable bozo like Toby or Grace going on to state the case for you without a single minister having to risk being damaged by a shit interview. 

p90fool said:

When we're all screaming at our televisions "answer the fucking question!" he's been the only interviewer doing the same on our behalf, while arselickers like Kuenssberg are reading out government press releases like they're actually journalism. 

As interviewer, yes, but for the reasons detailed above. LK at the Beeb - utter waste of protoplasm. However the print media does have some people prepared to speak up. Off the top of the head, I'd pull out Beth Rigby at the Cummings garden presser, Jason Groves of the Mail and Mikey Smith of the Mirror asking non-arselicking questions at several pressers, and some of the regional journalists who get so little opportunity for national publicity. That's without going into the efforts of print and online media. Byline Times has been fucking brilliant on both the SAGE minutes and the ignoring of science by the government as well as revealing more than anyone else about the crony contracts and Messrs Calvert & Arbuthnott have been excellent in the ST (and the book out next week is going to be a blast). Harry fucking Cole they are not. 

p90fool said:

What's really sad is that the lameness of most political journalists and the refusal of the BBC to hold government to account is highlighted by someone as loathsome, egotistical and self-serving as Piers Morgan.  

But government is central to both. When a large number of political journalists such as Harry Cole in the Sun give the government wiggle room, then it's the favours for friends approach. This isn't an accident. Uncle Rupert doesn't meet with people to discuss the time of day. Some political journalists are crap because they are told to be crap and to produce crap. It's no different to the BBC now. The way media is changing politically in this country is massive at the minute and it's looking desperate for anyone who wants a right-wing government held to account. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited March 2021
    Dominic said:
    beed84 said:
    Dominic said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Don't be conned into compensating yourself with those sentiments ......it's a myth perpetuated by those who need to maintain a status quo and use religion as a control mechanism .
    Personally, I don't think I came into this world as a baby entitled to any less than somebody born in a more fortunate bed .
    Whatever you have is great and you should enjoy to the full but don't think for one minute that , assuming you have your health ,having plenty of money too isn't a bonus because it sure is.
    I get what you're saying, but isn't there a huge distinction between "having plenty of money being a bonus" and being rich equating to a "much more fun and eventful life"? Also, is it not an assumption that Piers is indeed experiencing the latter statement. Are we really sure he has a better life just because he has more money? Probably not, just as much as other rich people have troubled lives.

I don't disagree that having more money brings a sense of security, but having more of it doesn't necessarily mean that life becomes increasingly better. If the only way to a meaningful life is being rich and living extravagantly, then the fundamental and more significant aspects of living are quashed – you will never be satisfied with what you have. And if ever that fortune you have disappears, then what? ... With the greatest respect, I don't think it's me who is being conned here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    edited March 2021
    There was a time when politicians loved to test themselves against the likes of Paxman, now the party marketeers, prevent that from happening, I'd say I'm those days we actually had politicians that could think for themselves and were not scared to break party lines.
    As for Morgan, he is a wannabe Paxman, but lacks the wit and the intelligence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    Thank the Lord I don't own a television.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom