Anyone else got a soft spot for Dua Lipa?

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
OK, maybe not so soft etc. etc. - she is clearly stunning.

But her latest album seems a cut above a lot of what passes for pure pop these days, or at least the singles are...

Anyone else on here a "fan" - are the songs really good or am I having a mid-life crisis and fantasizing about women who wouldn't look at me twice... can't it be BOTH!?!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yep, she’s great, proper superstar in the making, and great tunes. A lot better than that bloody annoying Mary Spender for sure. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    dindude said:
    Yep, she’s great, proper superstar in the making, and great tunes. A lot better than that bloody annoying Mary Spender for sure. 

Mary who...? ;)

Also, holy crap, this video...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Genuinely never heard of her.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7154
    Took my daughter to see her in Bournemouth when she first broke a couple of years back. Daughter and her friend loved it - she was really polished already and has so much talent but I’m not a fan of that nasally singing style tbh
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    We do a cover of Break My Heart. It’s a good song.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    She was the album of the year in a number of lists.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Super talented. She’s great. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2021
    I like her and 'Levitating' is just a great pop song with an old school feel.

I recently watched her on Tiny Desk (online series of scaled-down gigs artists are doing) and both she and her band were excellent.

She's just won a Grammy and has 2-3 under her belt now
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Big fan here too, great songs and love her voice. The one with St Vincent is probably my favourite music video ever!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Kebabkid said:

I recently watched her on Tiny Desk (online series of scaled-down gigs artists are doing) and both she and her band were excellent.

I went to school with the guitarist from her band on the Tiny Desk show, he was a couple years below me I think. He was incredible back then
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    dindude said:
    Totally agree with that.
    BlueStrat said:
    Big fan here too, great songs and love her voice. The one with St Vincent is probably my favourite music video ever!

It's hard not to enjoy isn't it?  Oh to be born beautiful and talented...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Yes. She’s brilliant.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited March 2021
    She sounds the same as every other nondescript female ‘pop’ singer with an effected voice. Bland and instantly forgettable.

I’d genuinely like someone to explain why she is ‘special’ and ‘brilliant’.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    She sounds the same as every other nondiscrirt female ‘pop’ singer with an effected voice. Bland and instantly forgettable.

I’d genuinely like someone to explain why she is ‘special’ and ‘brilliant’.
    I'll pass if it's all the same...

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I watched the video and was thinking that she was quite talented until I realised Dua Lipa was the one without the guitar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Kebabkid said:

I went to school with the guitarist from her band on the Tiny Desk show, he was a couple years below me I think. He was incredible back then
    - Tiny Desk Concert

I'm in my late 50s and like all sorts of music, but essentially, I'm an 80s kid but there are some pop acts of recent times that just have that something that's a little different and she falls into that category along with Bruno Mars & Little Mix

Kebabkid said:

I'm in my late 50s and like all sorts of music, but essentially, I'm an 80s kid but there are some pop acts of recent times that just have that something that's a little different and she falls into that category along with Bruno Mars & Little Mix

"Black Magic" by Little Mix is a damn fine pop song, I remember noting that when it came out.

Hard-working professional girls as well.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I sometimes worry about you guys. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I sometimes worry about you guys. 
    Me too. Especially as we've just had the "vocal fry" thread. 

Anyone who uses that amount of vocal fry can eat a big bowl of my day-after-curry poo. Sorry, this pap is seriously, seriously not my thing. No creativity in the writing, arranging, production or message of the song. No questioning and seemingly from the original video, no honesty either. Other than that, it's amazing. 

Or maybe I'm too deep and too old for this kind of material. Maybe I'm missing something.