Anyone else got a soft spot for Dua Lipa?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    ICBM said:

I never understood that as a cover, let alone why it seems to have become so popular that the original is almost forgotten...
    Everyone has forgotten the Zutons, they were quite good back in the day, with their "indie Led Zep" vibe.

Yeah, I see they disbanded in 2009. I wonder, who killed the Zutons?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    dindude said:
    This is still my fav song of hers, and dripping in melody

https://youtu.be/98OFEa1FKb8

That was really good - not seen that video.

She always comes across as such a nice girl as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I’m unclear to what extent in the Copeland model that melody and tone colour encompass performance. Dynamics, vibrato, etc - in some ways more important in the classical model where differences in performance of the same melody outline what is a virtuoso performance than in pop music where novelty is more valued. 

Anyway, Dua Lipa doesn’t do much for me. But Dua and me understand that it isn’t really meant to; it wouldn’t be wrong if I did like it but I would be an outlier in her fanbase. That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the craft in it, just as much as the examples of ‘shred’ guitar posted on here don’t do anything for me either but I can appreciate the effort and craft. 

Grunfeld said:
    ICBM said:

Lyrics.
    Good call, and that's a real blind spot with me.  I seldom pay lyrics any attention (though there are exceptions). 
    Out of curiosity I've just looked at an old set list -- songs I've played dozens if not hundreds of times, and while I've got a good idea what Let's Spend the Night Together is about I couldn't tell you for sure about
    All The Small Things
    All My Life
    Valerie
    A Town Called Malice
    and quite a few more

There were definitely songs in sets I’ve played where I didn’t understand the lyrics; doing BVs I often knew them quite well as well. If anyone can explain what the words of Fu Manchu by Desmond Dekker mean I’d be delighted to know. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    darthed1981 said:

Everyone has forgotten the Zutons, they were quite good back in the day, with their "indie Led Zep" vibe.
    They remind me of a latter-day Badfinger, in that their most famous song is usually thought to be by someone else. Although it has to be said that the Harry Nilsson version of Without You is actually better, unlike Winehouse's Valerie.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm resurrecting this thread because Dua's latest video is bothering me

So... they are on the Titanic, and the lobster gets away?  I mean who comes up with this stuff??

Nice song though.

Oh and bonus points for sampling one of the best one hit wonders of all time here, anyone else remember "Your Woman" by White Town?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    The OP’s original clip sounds like a rewrite of Olivia Newton John’s Physical. Just like Olivia’s original it’s well produced, slick pop pap. She might be very talented but you wouldn’t know it from this clip.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    The OP’s original clip sounds like a rewrite of Olivia Newton John’s Physical. Just like Olivia’s original it’s well produced, slick pop pap. She might be very talented but you wouldn’t know it from this clip.

In that they both include the world physical?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Oh and bonus points for sampling one of the best one hit wonders of all time here, anyone else remember "Your Woman" by White Town?

I could never be a woman! Or something like that

Wasn't that trumpet tune already a sample from an older piece?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

I thought the loop was new to White town's song and the vocal melody etc was from an old choon, not sure!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    I couldn’t name you any songs by Dua Lipa, whereas I do like some stuff by billie eilish and sia which have stuck in my brain. 

Generally the music I like has a noticeable something either anger, sadness, haunting melody or a staggeringly good voice or a guitar sound I really like, hence much pop music doesn’t seem to stick with me.  

Pop before electronic music became the norm seems to resonate with me more just because I’m into the ‘band’ type sound. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Your Woman by Al Bowlly (?) according to Wikipedia. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Your Woman by Al Bowlly (?) according to Wikipedia. 

Ahh indeed -

Public domain, as all good samples should be...

They already had to give a credit to INXS for "Break My Heart" and its similarity to "Need You Tonight"...
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    So... they are on the Titanic, and the lobster gets away?  I mean who comes up with this stuff??

Nice song though.

It bothered me because the first sound out of her is vocal fry. I stopped it within seconds. Sorry.  :/
    merlin said:

Nice song though.

It bothered me because the first sound out of her is vocal fry. I stopped it within seconds. Sorry.  :/

Maybe the Fry goes with the lobster .... sort of a seafood medley?
    Had to bring this old thread back... as in the intervening three years...

She's been booked to headline Glasto 2024
    She's finished a third album
    She's become genuinely a massive global star...

Any other fans on TFB??
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    ICBM said:
    darthed1981 said:

They remind me of a latter-day Badfinger, in that their most famous song is usually thought to be by someone else. Although it has to be said that the Harry Nilsson version of Without You is actually better, unlike Winehouse's Valerie.
    new Zutons record is incredible, not that they ever had a bad one. Even Dave McCabe and the Ramifications album was decent too. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    ICBM said:

I never understood that as a cover, let alone why it seems to have become so popular that the original is almost forgotten...

Zutons new album out in April, produced by Nile Rodgers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Zoolooter said:
    ICBM said:

Zutons new album out in April, produced by Nile Rodgers.
    Sounds interesting...
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 642
    Has she got any guitar based tunes?