Which guitarist has produced the best solo album away from his band?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    donbot said:
    First one that springs to mind for me is Zack Wylde’s Pride & Glory album. Excellent collection of music and not a duffer among ‘em.
    This is excellent, one of my favourites and still gets played a lot here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    Hugh Cornwell’s ‘Nosferatu’ LP.

I was going to nominate this... not a guitar record particularly, but a brilliant album.

Also Tom Verlaine's 'Flash Light'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    edited March 2021
    dazzajl said:
    Could I be unusual and suggest Paul Simon?
    I think if you allow Paul Simon in then the rest of the discussion becomes moot. He has no equal when it comes to song writing and each is a perfect performance. 
    Except I don't think many would say his solo work trumps Simon & Garfunkel?
    That wasn't the brief, it was the best solo album by a guitarist from a band! He was definitely the guitarist in S&G, and had some absolutely brilliant solo albums as well
    Ah true enough..in my head the brief had morphed into guitarist better album outside of their band

Good shout then!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5763
    dazzajl said:
    Could I be unusual and suggest Paul Simon?
    I think if you allow Paul Simon in then the rest of the discussion becomes moot. He has no equal when it comes to song writing and each is a perfect performance. 
    Except I don't think many would say his solo work trumps Simon & Garfunkel?
    Is that the case? I thought he’s more revered for everything since, which has also been a very very long time. I’ve always seen the whole thing as a progression and while he’s definitely not become more popular with every new release, he’s grown as a writer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I don't really know if Jack White was the guitarist of the White Stripes (he did everything except play the drums, and I think he also did that sometimes), but Lazaretto is a really great album. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9768
    I don't really know if Jack White was the guitarist of the White Stripes (he did everything except play the drums, and I think he also did that sometimes), but Lazaretto is a really great album. 
    I suppose he's a bit of an anomaly as well, in that his solo albums are actually way more collaborative (as in with more people and groups) than the White Stripes stuff where he was the driving force. Though he always said Meg's influence on the band was at least 50%, maybe even more than that.

But his solo records, especially the first two, are more like him being the front man for various different iterations of his Third Man bands, I think on the first two records he did a lot of different versions of things with the all male and all female bands and then they spliced them together so it was more of a collaborative process than say Jack and Meg turning up to a studio and Jack just directing the traffic as such
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom