Ian Elson Guitars - AVOID!!

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    People really can't be that gullible can they?
    The guy I mentioned earlier in this thread who asked me about the difference between single coils & humbuckers is *definitely* this gullible, bless him
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452

Have a look at the cable burn in thread in Off Topic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    after reading this thread, I'm never saying a bad word about Chapman Guitars again
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    edited June 2021
    Mate, I spent half my working lifetime in the computer trade, and I saw exactly this same sort of caper many times. Every year or two new "competitors"  would pop up offering stupidly attractive deals at prices below the cost of materials, and some people would buy them. It always used to end in tears. Sometimes there would be a big fuss, mostly the scammer would end up quietly leaving town. The most prominent one ended up running for parliament as a One Nation* candidate! (Of the five candidates for the seat, he came in last by a very big margin, which was only right and proper.) A bit later on, Microsoft took him to court for large-scale software piracy and he was heavily fined. Apparently even his weirdo church booted him out after that.

Two or three times over my 25-years in IT retail, I wrote evidentiary letters for people to take to Consumer Affairs detailing the specifics of a particular system. (Items present, faults, items not as described on the invoice, that sort of thing.) The one I remember most clearly was an elderly couple who had been sold a ratty old collection of poor quality second-hand parts in a shiny new box as a "new" computer. It was all blatantly substandard but the hard drive particularly sticks in my mind: it was a Conner - a brand which which had gone out of production five years or so previously! This, in a "new" computer! As often seems to happen, the scumbag responsible took fright when his scam was exposed. The old couple showed him my letter (which was silly: I'd told them to go direct to Consumer Affairs with it) and he gave them a full refund. But it didn't matter by then, his scams were too well-known and he only lasted a few months more before he had to leave town in a hurry. But there is always another one. 

Yes, people can be that gullible. And the scum who prey on them know it.

* One Nation: our version of the loopy far right. You know the type: not-very-subtle racists, zenophobic, protectionist, climate change deniers, anti-vaxers, regularly caught out cheating on their taxpayer-funded expense accounts, always fighting amongst themselves, frequently forced to resign in disgrace over one or another of their many escapades. And that's only the good ones.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Tannin said:
    It was all blatantly substandard but the hard drive particularly sticks in my mind: it was a Conner 
    How appropriate.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader
    Just to reiterate once more, I was not calling the people who were scammed gullible, I meant him thinking that people would believe he was hacked!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4181
    It’s hard to believe these people like Elson exist , it’s so bizarre it’s almost like the script from some dark sit-com That gets more farcical with each episode .

he makes MDP look like a competent saint
  • In January 2020, I was one of six people who agreed to pay around £700 for a custom-made guitar to be delivered within two months.

Finally delivered in June 2020 with a host of problems including:
    • The jack socket was so badly damaged that a jack couldn't be plugged into it.
    • The neck had been bolted on at an angle (apparently a common problem with Elson guitars). The bottom E was 2mm from the edge of the fingerboard at the nut and 7mm from the edge at the 22nd fret.
    • No trem bar and a rear trem cover that was bulging and preventing the trem from being usable.
    • Sharp, unfinished fret ends.
    • The nut was cut almost to the edge of the bottom e string.
    • Pickups not set square into the guitar body.

I have photos of all the above.

Elson accepted the problems and agreed to a refund - and that's where the problems began. So far I have had a County Court Judgment granted against him which has been transferred to the High Court and currently has an enforcement service attempting to collect the money. The debt started at £711; it is currently at over £1800 of which £500 has been paid.

Of the other five buyers, one refused to accept the guitar and received a refund. A second person has stripped it down and kept the hardware. I've been emailed by someone who won a raffle that Elson organised and the guitar is worse than mine.

I've been blocked from his Facebook group so I can't warn prospective buyers.

@IanElsonGuitar - feel free to respond. 

@poopot. What did I expect? A guitar that was at least playable. After all, the pickups were Bare Knuckle, the trem unit was Hipshot and the wood was solid mahogany. All the problems were down to appalling luthiery.
    Yeah I've been blocked too. After I got a few Facebook messages off him having a go because I put the post on here about what mine was like. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Are these still available to order? Given I've realised the exorbitant cost of a  new EBMM I'm thinking I should look instead at a custom UK build... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Perhaps we should all chip in £1 to buy one and then burn it via a live stream. A bit like the KLF burning £1m.  ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    russpm said:
    Perhaps we should all chip in £1 to buy one and then burn it via a live stream. A bit like the KLF burning £1m.  ;)
    Even at a pound each we'd individually each be paying vastly of the true value...
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    russpm said:
    Perhaps we should all chip in £1 to buy one and then burn it via a live stream.
    Will they still have live streams then? Assuming we order next week, which year is tipped as the most likely for delivery?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    crunchman said:

I earn some of my money from performing magic.

I once had a person ask me if I was just an illusionist or whether I did real magic...
    12reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    crunchman said:

I earn some of my money from performing magic.

I once had a person ask me if I was just an illusionist or whether I did real magic...
    Oh I so hope you whispered to them in a conspiratorial tone "No... its real magic..." then winked at them knowingly. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    poopot said:
    I decided to have a nosy at the business page, it appears to be gone. 
    And his bullshit continues… apparently his page was hacked :)

Seriously? Who’d hack that?
    This fella obviously suffers from multi personality disorder and one of them is a computer whizzkid.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    Read the testimonials on the website @poopot ;  unbelievable.  
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @poopot got one last month….!

https://i.imgur.com/1vamtzS.jpg

There’s no name on it…… but the excessive use of full stops and exclamation marks gave him away!!!! 

So…. How does it play…??? 

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1731
    tFB Trader

There’s no name on it…… but the excessive use of full stops and exclamation marks gave him away!!!! 

;)
    What the actual 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited July 2021

Hahahaah… that’s genuinely made me chuckle!.

no poopot didn’t get one :)

did get to finish putting together a nice blue paisley double cut tho Scott