Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    It would be good if we (England) got behind the team as a nation, including the press. That means even when things do go so well. As a nation we seem to consistently come up short here and that heaps so much pressure on the team. Other nations do it and this lifts their team to new heights and possibilities. 
    What’s gone before is done and cannot be changed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11430
    I've always felt that the Euros were just a crap world cup wannabe. This is probably due to it being not much of a tournament when I was a boy, some qualifiers and then a week with the semis and a final.

The tournament has obviously increased in size with the splitting of the USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia into into a few dozen teams but it's still a bit meh as far as I'm concerned.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    russpm said:
    It would be good if we (England) got behind the team as a nation, including the press. That means even when things do go so well. As a nation we seem to consistently come up short here and that heaps so much pressure on the team. Other nations do it and this lifts their team to new heights and possibilities. 
    That is part of the problem - it appears many times that what has been wrong before cannot be changed or should I say they (managers) appear to not able to change

Taking 'star players' that we allegedly can't do without - Yet are carrying an injury - So at best are only part fit - Beckham in the past as an obvious example - And today how match fit will Henderson and Maguire be - At club level many will take 2-4 games to get back into it and yet these guys will have to be 100% at it for a key game against Croatia

Then, in order to get the 'right' players in the team, we play them out of position - Scholes on the left in a diamond - And now looks like we'll be playing AA or James at right midfield - Maybe less of an issue IMO for James in that position, but as a club wing back, his greatest asset is playing in the space wing back provides, but in midfield this space will not be as available - We appear to be short of midfield players in the squad so expect to see Sterling tried in a new role - Or Phillips pushed further forward than his club holding role - And yet the obvious option as an attacking midfield player on the right is Lingard and unless a last minute reprieve he will be going home in a day or so - Yet on form he is an obvious option, more so than Sterling 

In club colours Mount and Foden look very promising - Hope their promise continues when they are not surrounded by the talents of KDB and Kante etc with direction from Pep and Tuchel

I admit I'm club first country second - But would love us to do well - What noise it would generate to beat France in the final at Wembley 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10009
    edited June 2021
    I don't really support the England national team, thought I do at least sometimes watch the games now ( I didn't used to). I follow my local team West Brom and generally want them to do well (although they tested that this season, there were times i was pleased they got battered) but I just don't get that with England. I find the players annoyingly subdued and the style of football is never very representative of what is successful in the premier League, plus the matches they have to endure to qualify against teams like Kosovo or San Marino are just incredibly dull matches to watch. It would be like putting Leicester or Everton in the championship or League 1 for a season with the same squads as now

I just hope for a fun tournament as a football fan, I hope that the big teams turn up and play with style and I also hope for one or two underdog stories.

I fancy France to win, I think Belgium will disappoint with De Bruyne doubtful, but who knows.

England won't win
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    russpm said:
    That is part of the problem - it appears many times that what has been wrong before cannot be changed or should I say they (managers) appear to not able to change

Taking 'star players' that we allegedly can't do without - Yet are carrying an injury - So at best are only part fit - Beckham in the past as an obvious example - And today how match fit will Henderson and Maguire be - At club level many will take 2-4 games to get back into it and yet these guys will have to be 100% at it for a key game against Croatia

Then, in order to get the 'right' players in the team, we play them out of position - Scholes on the left in a diamond - And now looks like we'll be playing AA or James at right midfield - Maybe less of an issue IMO for James in that position, but as a club wing back, his greatest asset is playing in the space wing back provides, but in midfield this space will not be as available - We appear to be short of midfield players in the squad so expect to see Sterling tried in a new role - Or Phillips pushed further forward than his club holding role - And yet the obvious option as an attacking midfield player on the right is Lingard and unless a last minute reprieve he will be going home in a day or so - Yet on form he is an obvious option, more so than Sterling 

In club colours Mount and Foden look very promising - Hope their promise continues when they are not surrounded by the talents of KDB and Kante etc with direction from Pep and Tuchel

I admit I'm club first country second - But would love us to do well - What noise it would generate to beat France in the final at Wembley 
    I’d love a good run in the tournament. I think the last time we beat a top 10 team out of the group stages was Euro96 with a 4-1 thumping of the Netherlands. Although I could be wrong here! 
    Come on England!!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    russpm said:

To me it feels like he is picking the best players by reputation, not the best team.  What's worse is that he has a system and playing players out of position into said system. 

The whole approach feels very rigid, throw in half the team is out of form, half is out of position.  I'd say our chances of success to be low.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    France. Them's me onions!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Why do I get the feeling Pogba is going to have a stormer of a tournament. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    I think what seems to happen in tournaments like these is that people get grumpy and say England will never win, but then they bet on them to do so anyway. They were favourites a few months ago, and now they're 2nd favourites, yet I've only heard 1 person saying they think they'll win.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    Why do I get the feeling Pogba is going to have a stormer of a tournament. 
    Don't know if it is part of his natural demeanour, but he rarely plays with a smile on his face - He has talent and no doubt about that, but he certainly appears to have  an attitude as well
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm just hoping we do a bit better than we did in the song contest.
    proggy said:
    The Song Contest is a bit like the failed ESL, we wouldn't get relegated even for finishing bottom with no points.

The Euros are more like the Champions League, there's a certain amount of achievement for just getting there even if you lose, but largely it's just for the fans to have a jolly and the football world to make a load of money
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    The Song Contest is a bit like the failed ESL, we wouldn't get relegated even for finishing bottom with no points.

The Euros are more like the Champions League, there's a certain amount of achievement for just getting there even if you lose, but largely it's just for the fans to have a jolly and the football world to make a load of money

I love the Euros, and the World Cup. I can't wait.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Pardon my ignorance, but why are they calling it ‘Euro 2020’ when it is, in fact, 2021? :expressionless: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    Pardon my ignorance, but why are they calling it ‘Euro 2020’ when it is, in fact, 2021? :expressionless: 

It was postponed because of the pandemic.
    It was meant to be played last year, and the name has stuck.
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

Oh yes don't get me wrong I enjoy them as well! As a fan of football matches though rather than supporting a team as such.

Looking forward to it being on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

Oh yes don't get me wrong I enjoy them as well! As a fan of football matches though rather than supporting a team as such.

Looking forward to it being on

That's the spirit.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    proggy said:
    JerkMoans said:

Is it just me that finds that utterly daft? 

They didn’t call the 1948 Olympics ‘the 1940 Olympics’, or ‘the 1944 Olympics’ when both events proved a little difficult to stage due to international difficulties...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    scrumhalf said:
    I've always felt that the Euros were just a crap world cup wannabe. This is probably due to it being not much of a tournament when I was a boy, some qualifiers and then a week with the semis and a final.

The tournament has obviously increased in size with the splitting of the USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia into into a few dozen teams but it's still a bit meh as far as I'm concerned.

7 of the last 10 winners of the World cup were European. The only none European teams that seem any good are Brazil and Argentina (include Uruguay if you want to go back 70 years!). The rest of the World without Europe is a bit Meh, but the Euros have most of the best footballing Nations in the world. Yeah, it's one rung down without Brazil and Argentina, but that is all.

JerkMoans said:
    proggy said:
    JerkMoans said:

Is it just me that finds that utterly daft? 

They didn’t call the 1948 Olympics ‘the 1940 Olympics’, or ‘the 1944 Olympics’ when both events proved a little difficult to stage due to international difficulties...

I agree, it does seem a bit stupid. Perhaps one of the UEFA big-wigs suffers from imparnumerophobia.