What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9828
    The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman. Shia Labouef falls in love with a girl who happens to be the partner of a violent sadistic Romanian mobster. Good but not great.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I watched Whiplash last night and it is very good.  I thought the ending was going to be different though.  
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Ant Man.

Just back from the cinema with the 2 Poyd juniors.

This had all the action, entertainment and humour that I expected and wanted. Its an origins story, guy gets chosen to be superhero, how does he cope etc but a really entertaining film. Good thing about his one was it focused on a core of main characters, no overload of " whos he? why is she mad with him? is he a good or bad guy? "

I think this was the one Marvel film I was worried about the most, its just a guy who can shrink, but no need. Genuinely funny but without being cheesy, Michael Douglas is great, Paul Rudd pulls off a great mix of comedy and the more serious/action side and the supporting cast work really well apart from the stereotypical Russian/Eastern Euro hacker guy.

There are 2 end credits scenes, one mid way and one right at the end, the end one has instilled a bit of hope for what it alludes to.

I read one critics review which was headlined " Even Paul Rudd cant save Ant Man " in my opinion he didnt need to. Throughly enjoyed it
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2510
    Watched Kill Bill Vol1 yesterday, and Reservoir Dogs the day before that on Netflix.

Both are enjoyable, Reservoir Dogs is also just a fantastic piece of cinema and was groundbreaking at the time.
    Kill Bill is more one for the Tarantino fans (which I am, even his deliberately tat B-movie style stuff), but still very enjoyable.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    We nearly wet to see Ant Man, but I threw in the Bloke Vote, and we went to see Self/less. We'll have to see said Ant Man.

Self/less, it's really rather good in fairness, considering my expectations were middling.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    Just watched Wolf of Wall Street. Best film I've seen in ages. Leonardo DiCaprio is superb.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    In a moment of idleness watched The Bourne Legacy

Formulaic, yes, but very enjoyable nevertheless - even set up a new Jason Bourne plot line - as well as opening up the francise.

Jeremy Renner was excellent
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1779
    True Story.

Jonah Hill as a NY Times reporter interviewing James Franco playing murderer...
    Wasted potential plus few good camera shots. Unfortunately. Acting is mediocre and whole thing gets boring far too quick. Idea was great but it's directors debiut and unfortunately you can tell.
    4/10
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Inbetweeners 2.

Yeh, I know, there's no excuse. :(
    I watched that last week. Great friday night chuckels

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

beed84 said:
    Just watched Wolf of Wall Street. Best film I've seen in ages. Leonardo DiCaprio is superb.
    Aye I enjoyed that. Not a Leo fan, but give the lad his due.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    True Story.

Jonah Hill as a NY Times reporter interviewing James Franco playing murderer...
    Wasted potential plus few good camera shots. Unfortunately. Acting is mediocre and whole thing gets boring far too quick. Idea was great but it's directors debiut and unfortunately you can tell.
    4/10
    ahhh i can't stand Jonah Hill, James Franco, especially when they are in a film together.  Add Seth Rogan in there too.  Holy shit.
    I miss Phillip Seymour Hoffman   :(
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16386
    Inbetweeners 2.

Yeh, I know, there's no excuse. :(
    I watched that last week. Great friday night chuckels
    I liked the first one but I thought 2 never seemed to quite click, like you could see the jokes they were going for but they didn't quite work. Reminded me of Anchorman 2 in that respect, although that was even less funny. The entire Inbetweeners 2 is on YouTube in a good quality print which is how I ended up watching it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Jurassic World - Rubbish but I guess kids would love it
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1142
    I watched "The Way Way Back" which i loved, I'd never heard of it and if it try to explain the plot it will sound shit, but trust me and give it a go.

I also watched Four Lions which was hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure, definitely worth a watch

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    Tomorrowland

Flawed, but actually quite brilliant. I see why it hasn't been a massive success, but that may be partly because it's too complex for its probable target audience - teens - but still too childlike for a normal 'adult' sci-fi audience.

OK, some of it doesn't quite work and a couple of bits are too predictable but it's far more original than the average offering in this sort of genre - even with a few obvious steals and homages, some of which are quite cleverly reversed.

If it has a major failing it's Hugh Laurie - he's not heavyweight enough for the role really. Clooney is great though.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10545

Welcome to me : it's about a women with a personality disorder who wins the lottery and uses the money to buy her own show which she then use's as a vehicle to broadcast her views and  idiosyncrasies 

I really like it 

@Moltisanti I like The Way Way back too, good film
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

Chappie.

10/10 - Like most Blomkamp films it's set in a shanti and stars Shalto Copley and/as a bad guy who's a nut-job from the special forces. It describes a hopeful way through a crisis point in society.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27753
    Kingsman: Firth does Bond
    Very good, knowing-winking spy caper thing. Very funny without being a proper comedy.

frankus said:

Chappie.

10/10 - Like most Blomkamp films it's set in a shanti and stars Shalto Copley and/as a bad guy who's a nut-job from the special forces. It describes a hopeful way through a crisis point in society.

100% disagree...! Watched it yesterday, and while Copley (playing the robot, not the guy played by Hugh Jackman... ;) ) and Dev Patel were excellent, it completely missed being the great movie it could've been and descended into a standard let's all just shoot everyone lots finale. Sadly, I fear Blomkamp is incapable of anything else- but he could have done so much more with the end had he wanted to. Instead, it felt like a lame Robocop-meets-Short-Circuit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock