What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6240
    Apollo 10 1/2. A space age childhood.

A wonderful live/animation film by Richard Linklater telling of a young boys experience growing up in Houston during the space race. Evocative and so beautifully constructed, it really captures how that era felt to many of us kids who grew up at that time.
    If you were 'there' like I was, you're going to love it.
    Perfect 
    10/10
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388

Deep Water

2022 Film, Prime

Based on the 1957 novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, this is very slightly erotic psychological thriller film in the old school way and directed by Adrian Lyne,

Set in the very rich self indulgent west coast USA world of enormous white houses hedonistic parties with massive swimming pools, it stars Ben Affleck (who I find dull) is actually good in this as his dullness is quietly ambiguous, like the intensely private and obsessive character he plays and the exquisitely proportioned Ana de Armas plays his infuriatingly selfish sex-child of a wife.

They are gradually driving each other insane with their ridiculous psycho sex jealousy games and their hardly innocent precocious young daughter aids and abets their loosening grips on morality and reality.

Nothing like as good as it could have been if was more subtly and darkly made and played as the plot requires, it's still a decent Friday night glass of wine couple watch and enough guessing where it needs to go keeps some interest.  

7/10

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited April 2022
    The bubble. 

I thought it was OK. Just a bit of daft fun, not too taxing. 
    People trying to make a movie during the pandemic. 
    Had a slight political/social edge I suppose, not quite "don't look up". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73054
    Without Saying Goodbye

Peruvian romantic drama - billed as a rom-com, but it's not really. Rich corporate architect on a job to inflict a modern hotel on an ancient town meets free-spirited woman with a tragic past, and the course of love does not run entirely smoothly. Totally predictable in every way, but surprisingly well acted, and the scenery is absolutely stunning.

I now want to go to Peru. Although how they managed to film at Machu Picchu without a single other tourist present I'm not sure...

7/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3701
    I've just started watching 'The Lighthouse' on Netflix. No spoilers, please. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3174
    Empire of the Sun

Critically acclaimed film, but for me it's overacted by young Christian Bale, and as he's getting most of the screen time I just found it annoying. Other than the nuke scene and the scene where he loses his mother in the crowd the rest is completely forgettable. Oh and the slap that one of the servants gives him, that also sticks in the memory.

5/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Greatape said:
    Once the giant space spiders attack it's all downhill from there on until Roland Gift from The Fine Young Cannibals makes an appearance as the risen again christchild. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23626
    Greatape said:
    Did you post that mid-watch, or are you breaking your viewing up into short chunks?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Death on the Nile

Disney+

less of the wacky cinematography than in Orient Express and a bit less of a romp. But still engaging and an interesting cast all of whom did perfectly fine jobs. Potentially very irritating for the more pedantic members of this forum as there are guitars in it which wouldn’t have existed at the time it was set. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    The Ghostbusters remake on C4. Why did they bother? It’s awful. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15864
    Kate -  on whatever channel. Actually pretty good, I'm guessing it's inspired by Anime (not something I know anything about really). The fights scenes were surprisingly good, despite being completely preposterous, and oddly despite being a "martial arts" film, the fights weren't that martial artsy, much better than the ones in Reacher. So, completely silly but good fun, 7/10.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 885
    Kursk: The Last Mission

Hadn't seen it for a few years but for sure it's topical now, given the Poo-tin is still in power.
    What a feqqup!

Anyway, not the best acting but I'm a sucker for submarine movies and true stories so this hits lots of buttons.

If you haven't seen it before I'd say watch the movie (Netflix) then read the real story afterwards.

Stu
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Infinitum: Unknown Subject (Amazon Prime): Low budget (VERY low budget) sci-fi premise with a Groundhog Day style plot. Couple of cameos - including Ian McKellen. I sort of liked it, or the idea of it at least, but it did get a bit claustrophobic and tedious. Filmed largely under lockdown, there's just one character, and it's all very deliberately under-explained. 6/10

What is blows my mind, though, is that the whole thing was shot under lockdown in 4 weeks on an iPhone on a gimbal. I'd heard of clever projects done on an iPhone and seen plenty of great YT videos about it, but at no point did I think about that until I had looked the movie up.

@stufisher - I'll watch that later today. By coincidence, I read the Kursk wiki yesterday to remind myself of how Putin dealt with it there are so many parallels today with the Russian war machine.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    Death on the Nile
    I really enjoyed it for some reason. Well acted as you'd expect from the cast with a few "didn't see that coming" moments.
    Also helped by the fact I'm in love with Sophie Okonedo.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Ad Astra - absolutely flipping brilliant. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24867
    Death on the Nile.

Disney / Branagh version.

Dull really. Other versions are far better.

Visuals were lovely as expected with Ridley Scott’s involvement, but also as expected the script dragged.

It was ok as lazy Sunday afternoon telly, but not worth more then that unfortunately.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    Infinite

Two groups of infinites, people who are continuously reincarnated with perfect recollection of their last lives, battle it out for the future of humanity. 

Sci-fi action bollocks with Mark Wahlberg as the saviour of mankind but who has lost all his memories of past existences. 

My only real interest in watching was that the street outside where I used to work was closed off for one scene. It was interesting seeing Cardiff turned into New York and the Mercure Hotel as the police station but that was the highlight of what was an absolutely mediocre, at best, film. 

The plot, continuity of the story and action sequences are just mind blowingly absurd and ridiculous at times. 

4/10 on Prime if you absolutely must. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    edited April 2022
    Morbius last night at the local flea pit . Took wife, teenage daughter , 21 y/o son and his gf.

Im telling you this as pretty much every review I’ve read has slated it.  We all really enjoyed it and in 2 cases ‘loved it’.   Much snappier than a lot of recent overblown comic book stuff (Batman ……yawn)

Simple story , well acted (Matt Smith in particular) and thankfully around the magic 90 minute mark.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1778
    mattdavis said:
    Controversial.. 

I liked it but everyone else who's seen it tells me they struggled to sit through it. 
    I enjoyed it although few scenes were ridiculous (glide-surfing through the space on the metal panel was it?).
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    mattdavis said:
    Controversial.. 

I liked it but everyone else who's seen it tells me they struggled to sit through it. 
    I enjoyed it although few scenes were ridiculous (glide-surfing through the space on the metal panel was it?).
    I find it fascinating that different people can have totally differing opinions of the same experience.  

I'm glad that some people enjoy the film.  

It's a visually excellent film, but was also the single most boring film I've ever paid to see at the cinema.  I would have walked out midway but thought Mrs Haych was enjoying it.  She would have walked out midway but thought I was enjoying it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom