What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5780
    Watched the two part Netflix documentary on Jimmy Savile recently.

Can't say I ever liked the guy but he was a bit before my time so was mostly unaware of him, apart from Jim'll Fix It, and even then it was mostly about what he could do than the man himself.

But, what an absolute creep the guy was!  Just watching old footage of the man, he had some sort of god complex going on.

A very eye opening film to watch but not easy, happy stuff.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh man, I think I'm drunk, very merry at least.  Mrs Haych is away - woohoo! - I'm here at two in the morning watching stuff all on my own and nkocking them bakc - what's in theis whidsny anm?

Just watched Metal Lords on Netflix.

A couple of disaffected high school kids, one who takes himself and metal far too seriously, the other who doesn't think he's metal enough, enter a battle of the bands competition in an effort to be recognised be their peers who dismiss them as insignificant and unimportant.

Subtly funny and quite well made, I rather enjoyed this coming of age movie which also touches on mental health issues in quite a clever way.

Recommended, although right now I'm three sheets to the wind so if it's actually a crap film then more fool you, btu I lkedi it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 884
    Green Book

Had it in my mind to watch ages ago and got sidetracked. It's currently on BBC iPlayer.

Multiple-layers of inter-relationship tensions and challenges ... well put together indeed. As a road movie it's OK but as a statement on social norms and cultural change it's right in yer face and makes you sit up and take notice. Good interlacing of dark humour too.

I like Viggo Mortensen anyway (e.g. Crimson Tide, Hidalgo, ) but I think he's outstanding in this.

I'd go as high as 9/10 for this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    edited April 2022
    The Favourite. Olivia Coleman as an eccentric and rather unwell Queen Anne. Two women fight for her affections to gain power for themselves and then start a war of attrition with each other.  

It’s quite an odd film, shades of Versailles crossed with The Great, but it’s all strangely…. flat somehow. I thought it was going to be a lot funnier judging from clips I’d seen. It’s certainly nicely filmed and very well produced but it’s hard to engage with any of the characters as they’re all universally unlikeable. Coleman shouts and cries a lot, but personally I can’t see how it justified an Oscar for her performance.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12508
    Haych said:
    Watched the two part Netflix documentary on Jimmy Savile recently.

Can't say I ever liked the guy but he was a bit before my time so was mostly unaware of him, apart from Jim'll Fix It, and even then it was mostly about what he could do than the man himself.

But, what an absolute creep the guy was!  Just watching old footage of the man, he had some sort of god complex going on.

A very eye opening film to watch but not easy, happy stuff.
    I watched it too.  I'm definitely old enough to remember him very well indeed.  Most of my contemporaries at the time thought he was a perv and a creep, and very probably a nonce - and I'm not saying this with the benefit of hindsight.  Nothing was in the public domain back then of course, but anyone with half a brain could see the guy was at the very least not your average Joe.  That said, no-one back then could have begun to guess the levels of depravity the fucker plumbed.  The film was disturbing, particularly so given the levels of trust and faith afforded him by many, including the royals.  Wing-Nut even wrote to him asking for his advice on various issues.  If he couldn't tell the guy was dodgy, well... says a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1949
    Waiting for the documentaries on Peel, Page, Bowie, Wyman et al.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    The Passion of the Christ

Well, it's Easter. This is about as brutal as you're going to find anywhere, more gore than Saw that will have you flinching in your seat with every strike of the lash. Not pretty to watch but for sure, it sticks in the mind, and that of course was the intention.

Then there's the creepy demons and the truly menacing Satan lurking in the background, all designed to chill you to the core. It does a good job.

Truly, one of those films that when you see it, you don't forget it. 

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 884
    Good call @Shrews ; ... I have only watched this once and don't feel the need to watch it again ... I get it!

I am ambivalent towards Mel Gibson but he also directed Apocalypto ... another powerful flick that I would commend to anyone.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    Hush

A deaf woman desperately tries to fight off a masked killer who attacks her in her own home.  This is directed by Mike Flanagan and stars his wife (and co-writer) Kate Siegel.  There's nothing wrong with the acting or direction, but there just isn't enough story and even at 80 minutes this feels desperately padded out.

Whenever I go Netflix-browsing I end up with a dud, this isn't all that bad but I can't say I'd recommend it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    mattdavis said:
    Ad Astra - absolutely flipping brilliant. 
    Controversial.. 

I liked it but everyone else who's seen it tells me they struggled to sit through it. 
    I enjoyed it although few scenes were ridiculous (glide-surfing through the space on the metal panel was it?).
    I’ve found it a curiously addictive film - I must have watched it 4 or 5 times. I’m not sure why I like it so much, perhaps the downbeat vibe. I must watch it again to find out why.

I just watched The Godfather I & II. I had completely forgotten how good they are. Gordon Willis photography is beautiful in both films but particularly so in II. I’ve gone right off gangster films but this saga is a cut above anything else in the genre (including Scorsese’s films) as it’s more about a man losing his soul than shoot outs and gangster repartee. Pacino has become a cartoon in recent years but these movies show him at his best - the scene where Kay tells him she’s taking the kids is startling as he allows his face to reveal emotion - something his still life mask usually keeps in check in these films. It’s a clever device as it makes the viewer work out his emotions/thinking based on the story alone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 684
    No Time To Die, now on Amazon prime. It's a Bond movie, pure and simple. I watched it with the sound off, to see if it could be more interesting to try to add my own dialogue. 5/10
  • Shrews said:
    The Passion of the Christ

Well, it's Easter. This is about as brutal as you're going to find anywhere, more gore than Saw that will have you flinching in your seat with every strike of the lash. Not pretty to watch but for sure, it sticks in the mind, and that of course was the intention.

Then there's the creepy demons and the truly menacing Satan lurking in the background, all designed to chill you to the core. It does a good job.

Truly, one of those films that when you see it, you don't forget it. 

9/10
    It can’t beat the experience of seeing The Last Temptation of Christ in the cinema, complete with a Christian picket line outside.  :s
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    Haych said:
    Oh man, I think I'm drunk, very merry at least.  Mrs Haych is away - woohoo! - I'm here at two in the morning watching stuff all on my own and nkocking them bakc - what's in theis whidsny anm?

Just watched Metal Lords on Netflix.

A couple of disaffected high school kids, one who takes himself and metal far too seriously, the other who doesn't think he's metal enough, enter a battle of the bands competition in an effort to be recognised be their peers who dismiss them as insignificant and unimportant.

Subtly funny and quite well made, I rather enjoyed this coming of age movie which also touches on mental health issues in quite a clever way.

Recommended, although right now I'm three sheets to the wind so if it's actually a crap film then more fool you, btu I lkedi it.
    Jusr finished watching this. A rather touching film, thoroughly enjoyed it. But what was that Marshall head?
    Watched a couple of things on Netflix last night, picked by my son who likes sci fi and shoot’em’ups. 

Red Notice. Crime caper with Ryan Reynolds (playing his smart mouth Deadpool-type character) and The Rock (being, umm, the Rock). Quite amusing in places, stupid plot, a few humorous nods to other films. Basically just brainless fluff but an ok way to spends a couple of hours on a Saturday night. 

Shadow of the Moon. Tedious time travel nonsense that goes nowhere. Don’t waste your energy. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    I watched the new Batman film last night. 

Honestly, was ok I suppose.  Not a patch on the Christian Bale Batman movies. It added nothing to the huge number of Batman moves we’re already had. 

Didn’t care for Emo Bruce Wayne, main villain was underwhelming, characters generally under developed, best thing in it was Zoe Kravitz. 

Andy Serkis and Jeffrey Wright (Commissioner Gordon) we’re also good.  6/10
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    boogieman said:

Red Notice. 
    My wife and I sat through Red Notice and though we both enjoyed it for the tongue-in-cheek dummheit that it is, we both agreed that it would have been way better if it had starred the younger Jackie Chan in the Ryan Reynolds role. 
  • I watched The Hunt on Netflix last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Ridiculous level of gore, some dark humour, and a few twists & turns along the way (although I guessed most of them before they were revealed). Solid 8/10 from me.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

merlin said:
    boogieman said:

Red Notice. 
    My wife and I sat through Red Notice and though we both enjoyed it for the tongue-in-cheek dummheit that it is, we both agreed that it would have been way better if it had starred the younger Jackie Chan in the Ryan Reynolds role. 
    I know what you mean. 30 years ago it would’ve had Eddie Murphy in as well.

The Ed Sheeran bit was quite funny “Woah, just a minute, I’ve been in Game of Thrones!”
    We watched Murder on the Orient Express the other day on Disney +.

It was very well made but it's all been done before so while it was very watchable, it didn't feel like anything to write home about.

5/10 just because it's a film made too often.

One I forgot about was Windfall, on Netflix.

A tech billionaire and his wife head to their country retreat for a weekend only to disturb a burglary in progress.

The burglar holds the couple hostage on the promise of a sizeable cash ransom.  While they're waiting for the cash to arrive a few truths are revealed and some bad things happen.

Well made but mediocre and unsurprising for all that and the ending was on the horizon pretty much the entire film.

6/10

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3697
    'No Time Die'

Maybe not, but plenty of time to yawn. 6/10