What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    also No Time To Die. It was alright, a bit self indulgent I felt, but I guess they wanted to give a "fitting send off" to Daniel Craig. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mrs Fred and I went to the cinema last night. The first trip since way before COVID. She wanted to see The Lost City (Sandra Bullock rom com thing).

Mrs Fred laughed throughout.

I thought it was a total dumpster fire of a movie and it didn’t make me laugh even once. It was a real struggle to stay awake.

The overpriced packet of Minstrals was ok though.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    Mrs Fred and I went to the cinema last night. The first trip since way before COVID. She wanted to see The Lost City (Sandra Bullock rom com thing).

Mrs Fred laughed throughout.

I thought it was a total dumpster fire of a movie and it didn’t make me laugh even once. It was a real struggle to stay awake.

The overpriced packet of Minstrals was ok though.

Just got back from seeing it . Only a 6 out of 10 for me , I’m pretty sure my wife only enjoyed it more because of the extended view of channing tatums bum
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    Joker

I know everyone else watched this months ago, not sure why it took me so long.  Anyway, it's free on Netflix now (still £3.49 on Amazon....).

It's very good, but exactly what I expected.  Very much a Joaquin Phoenix acting showcase - and he's excellent - but I wouldn't have minded if the plot threw in a few elements which I wasn't expecting.
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Philly_Q said:
    Joker

I know everyone else watched this months ago, not sure why it took me so long.  Anyway, it's free on Netflix now (still £3.49 on Amazon....).

It's very good, but exactly what I expected.  Very much a Joaquin Phoenix acting showcase - and he's excellent - but I wouldn't have minded if the plot threw in a few elements which I wasn't expecting.
    I watched it last night. I don’t do comic book films, have zero interest in Marvel or whatever but thought it was a brilliant take on a massively overdone genre. There were some really clever moments genuinely dark scenes. Not sure I would watch gain but well worth the two hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    edited April 2022
    CE1 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Joker

I watched it last night. I don’t do comic book films, have zero interest in Marvel or whatever but thought it was a brilliant take on a massively overdone genre. There were some really clever moments genuinely dark scenes. Not sure I would watch gain but well worth the two hours.
    I see it more as a film documenting the descent into madness; the whole social alienation thing, disenfranchisement, failed ambitions etc, rather than a super hero (well, villain) thing.
    And yeah, not sure it's a film I could easily watch again. It's not easy viewing by any stretch. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    CE1 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Joker

I see it more as a film documenting the descent into madness; the whole social alienation thing, disenfranchisement, failed ambitions etc, rather than a super hero (well, villain) thing.
    And yeah, not sure it's a film I could easily watch again. It's not easy viewing by any stretch. 
    To me it felt like Taxi Driver meets The King Of Comedy - partly due to the presence of De Niro, of course - but it falls short of those standards.  Not surprisingly, they're pretty high standards!  As I said, Phoenix is excellent, but I don't think there's enough going on elsewhere... and there were a few bits which were disappointingly dumbed down...

...like the bit where it's revealed that the neighbour, Sophie, wasn't really there with Arthur at the hospital, etc.  Well duh...

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    I’ve had Airplane! on ITV4. I’ve seen it too many times to bother to sit and concentrate so it’s been quietly playing away up the corner of the room but the pace of the writing is still impressive, everything is either setting up a joke or is a joke. If you’ve never seen it it’s probably a bit dated and is sending up all sorts of even older things (references to US ads that I don’t get as well as more obvious sources like Saturday Night Fever) but must still be worth a watch as one of the funniest films ever made. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited April 2022
    I’ve had Airplane! on ITV4. I’ve seen it too many times to bother to sit and concentrate so it’s been quietly playing away up the corner of the room but the pace of the writing is still impressive, everything is either setting up a joke or is a joke. If you’ve never seen it it’s probably a bit dated and is sending up all sorts of even older things (references to US ads that I don’t get as well as more obvious sources like Saturday Night Fever) but must still be worth a watch as one of the funniest films ever made. 

I watched that not long ago and thought it actually stood up pretty well considering these things don't usually. Pretty amazing really. 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 884
    Just caught the last half hour of Unforgiven.
    Haven't seen it for >5 years but it's still right on the Munny :lol: 
    Censor

British horror set in the Video Nasties era of the early 1980s.  Enid, who works in the film censor's office (I don't think they ever refer to it as the BBFC) is a very serious young woman traumatised by the disappearance of her younger sister many years before... she becomes fixated on the idea that an actress in a film she's recently viewed is actually her sister, and sets out to investigate.

This received good reviews from the critics, including Mark Kermode (although his radio review was quite different from the glowing five-star review he wrote in The Guardian), but for me it really doesn't work at all.  The dreary period setting makes it vaguely interesting, but it ends up feeling amateurish and essentially just a bit crap.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2387

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004

I missed this completely first time round though I remembered it had garnered awards and good reviews. My daughter (in her 20s) wanted to see it as her friend had recommended it. Thankfully, I knew nothing about the movie at all and I was really impressed how surprising, original and interesting it was and the performances are excellent.  I'm glad I didn't know the plot.
    Increasingly I think it's best to know little about a movie to be open minded and engaged by it.

Recommended 8/10

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2387
    edited April 2022

Windfall 2022

A man breaks into a tech billionaire's empty holiday home, but then he and his wife arrive for a holiday just as the burglar is about to leave with the goodies. 

I liked the old school Hitchcockian idea and small ensemble cast and especially the 50s B movie music. The plot is.. so, so. I found it a little predictable in parts and at other times, it lacked credibility. It also suffered from insufficient threat and tension in some key scenes to get the best out of the premise and the "surprise" ending. Good performances from the cast.

6/10

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    One of my all-time favourite films. I also actually really like Airplane 2 (and the Naked Gun trilogy). Very specific humour, but the jokes keep coming non-stop - and the kind of films you can watch time and again and still find new things going on either in the background or jokes you missed previously.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    I watched it too. Seen it loads of times and it’s very unPC but it’s still great. “Do you like films about gladiators Tommy?” “Can I help miss? I speak fluent Jive”   
    edited April 2022
    Vicious Fun (on Shudder)

Nerdy horror journalist and would-be screen writer Joel takes an instant dislike to his flatmate (and secret crush) Sarah's new boyfriend Bob, so looking for dirt on the man he follows him to a bar where he stumbles into a self-help group... for serial killers. 

I was on the lookout for a silly, enjoyable horror movie and for once I made a good choice... this isn't perfect but it's highly entertaining, pretty bloody and very funny.  It would've gone down well at Frightfest.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Having a bit of a film fest at the moment as we’ve got my son staying with us and he’s a film nut. 

Midnight Sky on Netflix. George Clooney stars and directs as an ageing dying scientist living alone in an artic research station. The earth has become contaminated with radiation due to some unspecified disaster. Clooney tries to contact a space ship returning to earth from a mission to find other habitable planets, to warn them that earth is screwed up. I’ll avoid any spoilers as to how the film develops from there. 

Apparently it got mixed reviews from the critics but I enjoyed it. It’s nicely made, has good fx and is more a film about human emotion than just space ships. Clooney is very good in the lead part too.  Recommended.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    No time to die.

Really turning the emotion up to eleven.  It's all laid on a bit thick at the end but I did find it mostly hit the mark, which is a change for a Bond film!  Much less about the gadgets and spy tech, this one.  Some good shooty bits but I thought the baddy was a bit weak and wasn't really sure what his purpose was, except that he's better with a pistol than all the previous henchmen who had unobstructed line of sight of Bond standing in the street.  

6/10. 
  • boogieman said:
    Having a bit of a film fest at the moment as we’ve got my son staying with us and he’s a film nut. 

Midnight Sky on Netflix. George Clooney stars and directs as an ageing dying scientist living alone in an artic research station. The earth has become contaminated with radiation due to some unspecified disaster. Clooney tries to contact a space ship returning to earth from a mission to find other habitable planets, to warn them that earth is screwed up. I’ll avoid any spoilers as to how the film develops from there. 

Apparently it got mixed reviews from the critics but I enjoyed it. It’s nicely made, has good fx and is more a film about human emotion than just space ships. Clooney is very good in the lead part too.  Recommended.  

Agreed, I enjoyed this when I saw it even though most people slated it when it came out.

I watched The Batman last night: absolutely loved it. My wife really didn't: she actually went to bed before the Batmobile scene, but I thought it was great - it didn't feel like it was too long, despite the three hours running time, and I enjoyed the atmosphere, the pacing. Solid 9.5/10 from me :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 407
    stufisher said:
    Green Book

Had it in my mind to watch ages ago and got sidetracked. It's currently on BBC iPlayer.

Multiple-layers of inter-relationship tensions and challenges ... well put together indeed. As a road movie it's OK but as a statement on social norms and cultural change it's right in yer face and makes you sit up and take notice. Good interlacing of dark humour too.

I like Viggo Mortensen anyway (e.g. Crimson Tide, Hidalgo, ) but I think he's outstanding in this.

I'd go as high as 9/10 for this.

We watched that last night as your review made it sound up our street. It was. Thanks for that, I thought it was excellent.