What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    Troll (Netflix)

Entertaining enough and an easy watch, but I wish they'd put as much work into the story as they did into the CGI.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Philly_Q said:
    Troll (Netflix)

Entertaining enough and an easy watch, but I wish they'd put as much work into the story as they did into the CGI.
    Anyone into trollism ought to give "Border" a go. Weird, wonderful exploration of otherness, prejuduce and loneliness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    merlin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Troll (Netflix)

Anyone into trollism ought to give "Border" a go. Weird, wonderful exploration of otherness, prejuduce and loneliness. 
    Yeah, Border is very good.  Based on a book by John Ajvide Lindqvist, the author of Let the Right One In.  He seems to have a good understanding of lonely outsiders.
  • Wakanda Forever

The opening is great and there's a nice tribute to Chadwick Boseman at the end but the bit inbetween was instantly forgettable for me. Wasted opportunity. 

• dariusdarius Frets: 689
    I’ve just watched No Time To Die.
    How the hell I got to today without being spoilered I have no idea. 
    I better not say anymore in case there’s more like me out there. 

• Agree with @grappagreen ; ... Surge is a great watch.

The way it's filmed, the pace of it, the credibility of Ben Whishaw, the nascent tension and moments of calm all the way through.

Solid 9/10
  • Experiment in Terror 

Talking Pictures, 1962 in B&W

Thriller with some big names of the period and some great shots of San Francisco and hooge American cars. Some very tense moments if some rather unlikely plotting. Henry Mancini soundtrack. Probably best known as a direct influence on Twin Peaks. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Neil Young Harvest Time.

Documentary behind the scenes thing based around the making of the classic Harvest album. A bit like the recent Bowie film , it’s one for the fans really . Some lovely shots of broken arrow ranch , particularly good versions of Alabama in the barn and Neil working with the LSO in London.

Very relaxing and a 9 out of 10 for me but maybe too slow for a non hardcore fan

Has also led to some cranked Gretsch and Tweed deluxe action from me this morning which hasn’t gone down well
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Spirited on Apple TV+

2022 Xmas musical starring Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds.

Absolutely awesome, some of the songs very Larson esque. Give it a go.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    We watched Blue Jay (2016) last night. 

Directed by Alex Lehmann and with only three speaking characters (one of whom is only in one very brief scene) and with no guns, explosions or stunts, this is a talker. 

Two ex-lovers who were living in a small town have since split up and left home and now lead entirely different lives. Having not communicated for 20 years, they independently visit the town and bump into each other in the local supermarket. What follows in an hour and 25 minutes of talk, play, banter, a bit of dancing and we discover how close they were and why they split up. It's so damn human and so damn truthful.

If you're into focussed drama, with a real human message then look no further. 

9/10
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    Neil Young Harvest Time.

Documentary behind the scenes thing based around the making of the classic Harvest album. A bit like the recent Bowie film , it’s one for the fans really . Some lovely shots of broken arrow ranch , particularly good versions of Alabama in the barn and Neil working with the LSO in London.

Very relaxing and a 9 out of 10 for me but maybe too slow for a non hardcore fan

Has also led to some cranked Gretsch and Tweed deluxe action from me this morning which hasn’t gone down well
    Where'd you see that old bean?
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7580
    edited December 2022
    DesVegas said:
    Neil Young Harvest Time.

The Poole Lighthouse , Mrs Dr Cornelius was the youngest there by some margin , lots of stumbling , coughing ageing hippies around us !

Think it’s only on for 2 dates at selected venues 

Edit , just found some venues for tonight , looks like today is the final date 

https://www.neilyoungharvesttime.com/
  • merlin said:
    We watched Blue Jay (2016) last night. 

Directed by Alex Lehmann and with only three speaking characters (one of whom is only in one very brief scene) and with no guns, explosions or stunts, this is a talker. 

Two ex-lovers who were living in a small town have since split up and left home and now lead entirely different lives. Having not communicated for 20 years, they independently visit the town and bump into each other in the local supermarket. What follows in an hour and 25 minutes of talk, play, banter, a bit of dancing and we discover how close they were and why they split up. It's so damn human and so damn truthful.

If you're into focussed drama, with a real human message then look no further. 

9/10

Sounds a bit like Richard Linklater's 'Before' trilogy, which I love. I'll keep an eye out for this one.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited December 2022
    DesVegas said:
    Neil Young Harvest Time.

The Poole Lighthouse , Mrs Dr Cornelius was the youngest there by some margin , lots of stumbling , coughing ageing hippies around us !

Think it’s only on for 2 dates at selected venues 

Edit , just found some venues for tonight , looks like today is the final date 

https://www.neilyoungharvesttime.com/
    I’d like to see that…..I can hear the Gretsch + Deluxe from here in Oxford…..

The DVD movie is part of the Harvest 50th package if you want to avoid the ageing coughing hippies.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74469
    The Banshees Of Inisherin

Black comedy with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two Irish friends in the 1920s who abruptly fall out - or rather, one decides to end the friendship and the other doesn't understand why.

The story is quite disturbing - black is a bit of an understatement... and the level of acting from all the cast is absolutely outstanding, the cinematography is fantastic and there are a couple of really shocking moments. If it has a flaw, it's that the central event isn't quite believable.

I don't think you could cut a finger off with a pair of sheep shears that cleanly and with that limited amount of pain and blood loss, but I'm not an expert. I think I was half-expecting an extra twist at the end that never came too, but it wasn't disappointing, just thought-provoking.

9/10

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Molly's Game (Netflix)

Biographical drama based on the true story of Molly Bloom, a would be Olympic skier who took an alternative career path as a high stake poker game fixer for dodgy people after an injury put her out of contention for competitive sport.

Jessica Chastain (can't say I've heard of her) plays Molly, and who provides a healthy dollop of narration throughout the film to keep the viewer abreast of the complexities of her legal situation after being busted by the FBI for illegal gambling.

Idris Elba plays her lawyer, and is arguably the star of the show - his performance is the best of all the cast in the film.  Chastain's performance as Molly is a bit cold, clinical and detached from reality - it works in the context of the dramatisation, but in real life nobody is going to be that unemotional in the predicament she was in.

It's quite an entertaining film to watch even if I didn't understand some of the explanations of the game of poker - thankfully it didn't dwell or rely too much on this for the story to be interesting and engaging.

7.5/10 - Once of Mrs Haych's better choices recently.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Speak No Evil (Shudder)

A Danish family accept an invitation to spend the weekend with a Dutch family they had befriended on holiday in Tuscany the previous summer.  Within hours, they're disturbed by their hosts' increasingly strange behaviour... but is it just a case of different social values, or is something more sinister going on?  Don't watch it if you're in the mood for laughs...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14009
    Philly_Q said:
    Speak No Evil (Shudder)

A Danish family accept an invitation to spend the weekend with a Dutch family they had befriended on holiday in Tuscany the previous summer.  Within hours, they're disturbed by their hosts' increasingly strange behaviour... but is it just a case of different social values, or is something more sinister going on?  Don't watch it if you're in the mood for laughs...
    Now added to my watchlist - cheers @Philly_Q .
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Just finished watching the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Not the first time I’ve watched them but it’s been a long time since I had. Still one of my favourites, just incredible really
  • Once

Watched it loads of times… and now again..  be back in Dublin again soon, so gets me in the mood for the city..

10/10