What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Warriors of The future

Netflix.  Don't bother.  Ropey SFX and just feels budget and formulaic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whiplash again (probably the 10th time as it’s my daughters favourite film)

Shes a good judge , it’s utterly brilliant throughout 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Sat down with miss munckee who is 17 and studying a level film and persuaded her to watch LA Confidential which she hadn't seen.  I thought she might get bored as its slow paced at the start but she liked it and followed the storyline.  One of my favourite films still.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Christmas Bloody Christmas.
    It's Christmas Eve and Tori just wants to get drunk and party, but when a robotic Santa Claus at a nearby toy store goes haywire and begins a rampant killing spree through her small town, she's forced into a battle for survival.
    A horror comedy with a likeable female lead.  7/10

Renegades.
    When a retired Green Beret soldier is murdered by an international drug gang in London, four of his veteran SAS comrades set out to avenge him, dispensing their own brand of justice on the streets of London.
    Memorable only for Patsy Kensit having a small part and Lee Majors (Six Million Dollar Man) having one not much bigger. Truly unconvincing acting and possible the most rubbish thing I've seen all year.  3/10

Mindcage. 
    Detectives Jake Doyle and Mary Kelly seek the help of an incarcerated serial killer named The Artist when a copycat killer strikes. While Mary searches for clues in The Artist's brilliant but twisted psyche, she and Jake are lured into a diabolical game of cat and mouse, racing against time to stay one step ahead of The Artist and his copycat.
    In short its a rip off of Silence of the Lambs.  5/10
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Just watching scanners for the umpteenth time. Still can’t decide if it’s a masterpiece or rubbish. The fact I keep watching it is probably a clue!  
  • Geostorm..  manages to be even sillier than Moonfall. 

Don't expect classic cinema but it will fill time mindlessly digesting a holiday roast dinner.

I didn't mind Geostorm or Moonfall. Mark you I went in with very low expectations.
  • Knives Out (rewatch in anticipation of the follow up).  Fresh, sardonic take on the traditional Agatha Christie murder mystery and recommendable, sophisticated entertainment if that's your kind of thing.  Well acted, tightly plotted and very good to look at. 8/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Currently watching Love Actually. 

Say what you want but Bill Nighy is a scream. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Glass Onion

Netflix

Interesting that it directly references the pandemic (not a spoiler as this is in the opening minutes). Seemed painfully slow for the first half and not as good as I remembered Knives Out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    edited December 2022
    Not a film as such but a Russian mini series. I watched it in Russian, but couldn't get my head around it (obviously as I only know a little Russian at the moment). But then saw that some kind soul has dubbed it into English on YouTube. So that's my Christmas viewind sorted! 

The Master and Margarita

It has one of the most visually stunning scenes I think I've ever seen. Unsettling, sexual, unpredictable, unique and just downright bizarre. It's adapted from the materpiece by Russian author Bulgakov and if it does nothing else, I am sure it will stick in your mind. 

10 x 40 minute episodes. 

10/10

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Glass Onion

Netflix

Interesting that it directly references the pandemic (not a spoiler as this is in the opening minutes). Seemed painfully slow for the first half and not as good as I remembered Knives Out. 
    Just watched this.
    Extremely disjointed.
    Overly stylised, but with some neat - if easy - targeted musk/Zuckerberg parodies. 
    Too many crowded and jumbled ideas to work as a whole. Disappointing. 

4/10

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Lethal Weapon. Mandatory viewing this time of year, as is Die Hard, which will be watched quite soon. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Haych said:
    Lethal Weapon. Mandatory viewing this time of year, as is Die Hard, which will be watched quite soon. 
    Die hard is a must, great film, merry Christmas 
    Riddim up
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14011
    Glass Onion

Netflix

We attempted it last night.  It was truly tedious and we gave up around half way through.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Glass Onion

Netflix

Watched it last night too. Not as good as the first by a long shot but reasonably enjoyable for Christmas Eve. Damned by faint praise...
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    Bad Times At The El Royale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Witcher: Blood Origin has just dropped on Netflix.
    4 episodes of sweary and violent fun.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    I'm having a binge on A Christmas Carol - 5 versions thus far

1 Muppets - terrible film with zero emotion.
    2 New Netflix animation - They didn't get the feel of Scrooge right for me, but we enjoyed it. Typical modern take, songs, fun graphics etc
    3 The Jim Carrey animated version. I hated this film the first time I saw it, but I like it now. OTT additions to the storyline but fun all the same
    4 Black and white Alistair Sim version. A classic!
    5 Saved the best til last - Scrooge the musical. I watch it every year, the end is so full of joy and emotion!

Might fit one more in ...
  • Chuffola said:
    Glass Onion

Netflix

Watched it last night too. Not as good as the first by a long shot but reasonably enjoyable for Christmas Eve. Damned by faint praise...

I was planning to watch both knifes out films today  :s