What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    “The Ice Road”, starring Liam Neeson.

Complete nonsense. The sort of gig ageing actors take when the proper work has dried up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Pretty fucking bizarre. Zoned out at times then zoned back in. Towards the end I found it really affecting, made me question a lot about myself and whether I’m really happy existing at all. Not sure that was the intention. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Krampus 

Silly horror about the anti-santa. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Krampus 

Silly horror about the anti-santa. 
    Loved it. Daft but great.,

I was in Whitby on the weekend of 3 December. They had the Krampus Run and Ball - loads of fully decked up Krampus costumes being sported everywhere. Entertaining. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    I love the story of 'A Christmas Carol', probably my fave story ever. I thought I'd check out the new animated version on Netflix. For me they didn't get the feel of Ebeneezer Scrooge quite right, but that aside it was very entertaining. It's a musical and they repurposed the songs from the musical film 'Scrooge' (Which I love and watch every Xmas day). There was a really nice new song, the point where his fiancee leaves his younger self, it is a duet between her and Scrooge which I found it very touching, but then I am a soppy old tw*t with this sort of thing. If you don't like modern animations like Frozen you won't like this, but if like me you still have an inner child then it's all rather fun.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Sing (Netflix). It’s a kids film, we watched it because we’ve got our grandkids staying for the weekend. It’s well done, funny and very heartwarming. Some decent songs and performances too. Recommended if you’ve got little ones (or just enjoy cartoons). 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    The God Committee 4/10

You may as well just watch Casualty for an hour. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Snap said:
    The Northman - crap. 3/10
    Ludicrous over the top Viking thing. Strangely good cast. I can't help wonder if the whole thing was a massive piss take.
    I thought the same, like a shit attempt at a parody. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    The Anchorman. Never seen it. I laughed a lot. 8/10

boogieman said:
    Sing (Netflix). It’s a kids film, we watched it because we’ve got our grandkids staying for the weekend. It’s well done, funny and very heartwarming. Some decent songs and performances too. Recommended if you’ve got little ones (or just enjoy cartoons). 
    I thought that looked horrendous, but my daughters put it on a few years ago and yes, it was rather enjoyable for that sort of thing. Not looking to ever see it again mind you ..
    PinnochioGuillermo del Toro animated tale. We really enjoyed this. The stop motion animation is beautiful. The story was a little strange, it wasn't quite the same as the Disney film. Well worth a watch! 

Bedazzled - old comedy with Brendan Fraser, and Liz Hurley as the devil. Liz's dodgy acting ability just seems to work in this role for some reason. It's a fun yarn about the devil giving someone 7 wishes in exchange for their soul. I've always liked Brendan, and Liz is pretty hot in this! The various scenarios going wrong are pretty funny.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    axisus said:
    PinnochioGuillermo del Toro animated tale. We really enjoyed this. The stop motion animation is beautiful. The story was a little strange, it wasn't quite the same as the Disney film. Well worth a watch! 

+1 for this, loved it. The documentary about the making of it was great too. 15 years in the making, a real labour of love.

• Minority Report..  
    A fave of mine… a very underrated sci-fi flick that has aged well.   Hardly a weak scene in it.
    9/10

Moon
    Another great sci-fi fave.
    9/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    I thought that looked horrendous, but my daughters put it on a few years ago and yes, it was rather enjoyable for that sort of thing. Not looking to ever see it again mind you ..
    No need to watch it again. There’s a sequel.  ;)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

Bedazzled - old comedy with Brendan Fraser, and Liz Hurley as the devil. Liz's dodgy acting ability just seems to work in this role for some reason. It's a fun yarn about the devil giving someone 7 wishes in exchange for their soul. I've always liked Brendan, and Liz is pretty hot in this! The various scenarios going wrong are pretty funny.
    I'm sorry but I must insist that's a NEW film. The old one had Pete and Dud with Eleanor Bron as the love interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Enola Holmes 2, Netfix

Utter tosh, but proper entertainment, we loved it
    Absolutely.

Watched Moonage Daydream last night. It's a great tribute to the life of David Bowie and even though I'd previously seen most of the footage it was great to see it all pulled together so well.

One revelation for me though was that Jeff Beck played second guitar on the Ziggy tour!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    The Swimmers on Netflix

Film charting the path of two Syrian swimmers from their homeland to Germany and on to the 2016 Olympics. Pretty heartbreaking to see a migration via small boats from a refuges perspective. Makes you realise how dehumanised the coverage we get in the news is. 

8/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited December 2022
    A Call To Spy

Based on true stories, this film follows the recruitment, training and operations of women agents sent to France in WW2 to organise resistance ops

No too shabby
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles. 

It’s alright I guess. Seen it too many times for it to have much appeal anymore. Mrs Haych wanted to watch it, so we did. 

Not one of the timeless classics I can watch over and over and not get bored (like Spaceballs), but still mildly entertaining for all that. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• paulnb57 said:
    Enola Holmes 2, Netfix

Utter tosh, but proper entertainment, we loved it
    Absolutely.

Watched Moonage Daydream last night. It's a great tribute to the life of David Bowie and even though I'd previously seen most of the footage it was great to see it all pulled together so well.

One revelation for me though was that Jeff Beck played second guitar on the Ziggy tour!
    He was actually only a special guest on the final Hammersmith show where he joined Ronno on Jean Genie and a very good cover of Reeling and Rocking that would have fitted in nicely on Pin Ups. JB never allowed Bowie to use the footage on the official tour film though because (and this is straight from the internet) , he didn’t like what he had on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom