What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Our Man Flint
    An American attempt to match James Bond. Deeply unfunny attempt at a movie with James Coburn as Flint.
    Appalingly bad special effects and ludicrous villains. 1/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    Haych said:
    The Pale Blue Eye

Gave it a go and couldn't really get into it.  It was all very well done, though, and I do like Christian Bale a lot but his character seemed to be from the border between America and Derbyshire.

watch Amsterdam - compare the character/accent !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited January 2023
    Also watched Gunpowder Milkshake.
    From IMDB: "In her turbulent life as a professional assassin, Scarlet was cruelly forced to abandon her daughter Sam and go on the run. Years later, despite the estrangement, Sam has also grown up into a cold blooded hitwoman. After a high-stake mission spins out of control, putting an innocent 8-year-old girl in the middle of the gang war she has unleashed, Sam has no choice but to go rogue. This ultimately leads her back to her mother and her former hitwomen sidekicks, who all join forces in an avenging war against those who took everything from them."
    The cast list has Karen G plus Lena Heady (yay!) and Michelle Yeoh in there and includes the usual ludicrous shootouts and action sequences but I really enjoyed it. Obviously the beer had kicked in. 8/10.

Paul Giamatti is also in it in a small role and that reminded me that I haven't seen Shoot 'em Up in years so I must dig that out.

I also finished Rampage the 'giant mutant monkey, wolf and alligator rampaging through town' movie. Standard Dwayne Johnson fare and non the worse for that. No surprises.  7/10 for brain off fun.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    Glass Onion.

Silly nonsense. 2/10
    The Guard.

Great fun. 7/10
    Pixie.

Meh. 4/10
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Brio said:
    Our Man Flint
    An American attempt to match James Bond. Deeply unfunny attempt at a movie with James Coburn as Flint.
    Appalingly bad special effects and ludicrous villains. 1/10
    I remember going to see that at the cinema with my dad when it came out. My dad was a big Bond fan (in the Connery era) and we saw most of them together. Even back then we thought the Flint films were crap. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14012
    The Pale Blue Eye

Absolutely brilliant.  Great scenery, atmospheric camerawork, a fantastic cast and a plot that kept us guessing until the denouement.  And Harry Melling actually bears a strong resemblance to his character, Poe, whose face stars out at me from my bookshelf as I write.

If I'm to be extremely nit-picky, Melling's American accent does occasionally slip into his native English but that is a very minor criticism indeed of an otherwise excellent performance.

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The Menu (Disney plus)

Fantastic , I won’t say too much or I’ll spoil it but it’s a very dark comedy / chiller set in an ultra exclusive island restaurant where the guests all have dark secrets that get uncovered as the evening progresses .

Honestly , 9 out of 10 and thankfully a proper film length of about an hour and 45 minutes so it doesn’t feel stodgy at any point 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited January 2023
    I watched knifes out and glass onion a few nights ago. 
    I quite liked both of them tbh. 
    KO was obviously a bit more of a traditional "murder mystery", and definitely the better of the two, while GO was probably trying a bit too hard to be different and got a bit lost at times, but I didn't hate it, I don't really get all the disappointment tbh.

I really like those comedy whodunit/MM type films, anyone have any other recommendations please? 

I seem to remember something about another remake of orient express, or did I dream that?
  • I watched knifes out and glass onion a few nights ago. 
    KO was obviously a bit more of a traditional "murder mystery", and definitely the better of the two, while GO was probably trying a bit too hard to be different and got a bit lost at times, but I didn't hate it, I don't really get all the disappointment tbh.

I really like those comedy whodunit/MM type films, anyone have any other recommendations please? 

I seem to remember something about another remake of orient express, or did I dream that?
    Have you seen Clue, with Tim Curry? It's terrible but in a fantastically enjoyable way. 

• The Menu - had enough after an hour or so. Utter twaddle that makes me despair for contemporary film making.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557

Ken Branagh with the worst fake moustache ever.

It’s not bad though. The follow up - death on the Nile - is poor.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Offset said:
    The Pale Blue Eye

Absolutely brilliant.  Great scenery, atmospheric camerawork, a fantastic cast and a plot that kept us guessing until the denouement.  And Harry Melling actually bears a strong resemblance to his character, Poe, whose face stars out at me from my bookshelf as I write.

If I'm to be extremely nit-picky, Melling's American accent does occasionally slip into his native English but that is a very minor criticism indeed of an otherwise excellent performance.

9/10
    My nit picking would have been Gillian Anderson’s accent which struggled to be the same two sentences in a row but the film was very well paced, tense with very smart writing. Looked beautiful too. Nice to see a grown up film. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023

Have you seen Clue, with Tim Curry? It's terrible but in a fantastically enjoyable way. 

I have seen that one, but it was a while ago so I'll see if I can find it again. That's the kind of thing I was thinking of though, thanks. 

I seem to remember something with gene wilder not sure it was very good though. 

EDIT Haunted Honeymoon. 

Ken Branagh with the worst fake moustache ever.

It’s not bad though. The follow up - death on the Nile - is poor.

I gave it a Google and it looks like it might be worth a watch. 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 478
    Another Round - Netflix
    Danish black comedy starring Mads Mikkelsen.
    Four friends attempt to escape the mundanity of everyday life as well as improving their professional performance by…….getting pissed all the time!
    Very good indeed!

8.75/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    The Father

Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman in a domestic drama about an old man suffering from dementia. If that sounds bleak, it is - it’s unsettling and quite disturbing, and worryingly believable from Hopkins’ performance especially... he won an Oscar for this and rightly so - I don’t think he’s ever been better. Nothing much ‘happens’ so it’s not one for action and excitement fans, but brilliantly made and will really make you think.

Caution - you may recognize aspects of your own parents in Hopkins, even if you don’t think they have dementia.

10/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    The Harder They Fall. Brutal, very sweary take on a Good, Bad and Ugly style gunslinger revenge story. Idris Elba is the only actor I knew in it and he’s reasonably good. Otherwise it’s all a wee bit hackneyed and predictable. The soundtrack has some great tunes but it really jars against the historic setting. The film itself falls between too many stools and cant really seem to decide if it’s a black comedy, a pastiche or a brutal morality tale. It’s okaaaaaaay, it just left me feeling a bit dissatisfied. 4/10. 
    Idris Elba is the only actor I knew in it.

Idris Elba is in danger of taking over from Samual L Jackson in the dialogue in Ted2:

Sam: "Who is Samual L Jackson?"
    Ted: "You ever seen any film? He's the black guy."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom