What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Watched White Noise the other day - again described as a comedy, almost as badly described as the Banshees of Inisherin !) - but weird to say the least, and don’t drink a load of wine when it’s on as you’ll have no idea what’s going on like me !

watched  Bullet Train last night - much more watchable as you don’t have to work out what’s going on.  Bit of violence of different sorts throughout.  Brad Pitt plays his typical role, he’s turning into Sean Connery I think.  But good Sat evening fun action and a bit more comedic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Menu (Disney plus)

Fantastic , I won’t say too much or I’ll spoil it but it’s a very dark comedy / chiller set in an ultra exclusive island restaurant where the guests all have dark secrets that get uncovered as the evening progresses .

Honestly , 9 out of 10 and thankfully a proper film length of about an hour and 45 minutes so it doesn’t feel stodgy at any point 
    Bloody awesome film, so well acted and it's proper intense at moments, I literally felt stressed(in a good way)..

I can understand why Ready or Not is in the 'if you liked this' section, another great film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Menu

Saw a few here give it the thumbs up so thought I’d try it. 

Decent cast, good acting, excellently shot and an awful plot which all made for a really good film. 

Did I enjoy it? 

Nope!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Also The Menu. Was alright. Silly. 
  • Empire of light at the flicks . Olivia Coleman and Toby Jones acting their little socks off.

Slow burner , lots of things that are half going on but the film doesn’t really explore the storys behind the characters which is a shame.

Still enjoyable though , Olivia Coleman especially . 7.5 out of 10 for me 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    The Invisible Man (2020)

The most recent take on this ever-popular idea chucks out nearly all of the original H.G. Wells novel, and many of the cliches of previous film versions.  It's more of a psychological thriller, diving straight in with very little back-story and playing down the science-fiction aspects until late in the film.  Elisabeth Moss does a good job in the familiar thriller/horror role of woman-who-no-one-believes.  It gets a bit silly at times but it works well.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    The Day of the Jackal. 10/10.

I was gripped from the first moment to the last.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    I'm assuming you don't mean the Bruce Willis version...
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    This Is Spinal Tap.

Comedy classic. 11/10
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 432
    The Banshees of Inisherin.

Manages to be both bleak and amusing. Superb acting from both lead characters.
    7/10
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    24 Hour Party People. Not watched for a long time. It's brilliant. 10/10. compulsory for any music fan IMO. 
  • The Menu was total crap.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Convenience.

Low budget real time comedy thriller on Netflix.

Couple of guys owe some Russians some money. So rob a petrol station. But the safe is on a timer...

Very low budget, but actually as mindless comedy goes it was quite fun. It's not Citizen Kane by any means, but with a beer and a pizza, a good laugh.

6.5/10

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Snap said:
    24 Hour Party People. Not watched for a long time. It's brilliant. 10/10. compulsory for any music fan IMO. 
    I've still not seen that!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Snap said:
    I've still not seen that!
    It's superb. I've got a local interest, but it's a great film about the lunacy of factory records and the lunatic genius of Tony Wilson. and the film is really well made. Lots of top actors - Andy Serkis plays Martin Hannett, brilliantly too. Steve Coogan is very good too. Captures the eccentricity of Tony Wilson perfectly. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Made in Italy 

Film 4 

Liam Neeson not being an ageing action hero with his son  Michael playing his son. Rather slight British (?) fillum but quite sweet. One of those films that really should be shown on a Sunday teatime although half a dozen swear words mean it won’t. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3827
    edited January 2023
    Scarface (1983)

What a classic.

Hard to fault… 10/10
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Pale Blue Eye, seriously, don’t waste 2 and a half hours, tedious and basically dull 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    edited January 2023
    sweepy said:
    Pale Blue Eye, seriously, don’t waste 2 and a half hours, tedious and basically dull 
    I guess it depends on what you’re expecting, it’s definitely a gothic period piece not a modern style thriller. I watched it recently and thought it was beautifully filmed, well acted and very atmospheric. It’s not fast paced for sure, but it keeps moving along nicely and the plot was intriguing enough to keep my interest. The accents were my biggest bugbear, they kept wandering all over the place. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14012
    boogieman said:
    sweepy said:
    I guess it depends on what you’re expecting, it’s definitely a gothic period piece not a modern style thriller. I watched it recently and thought it was beautifully filmed, well acted and very atmospheric. It’s not fast paced for sure, but it keeps moving along nicely and the plot was intriguing enough to keep my interest. The accents were my biggest bugbear, they kept wandering all over the place. 
    Agree with all of that @boogieman - I gave it 9/10 in an earlier review and my only gripe was Harry Melling's accent.  I can't say I noticed Bale going off piste.  I really rated it.