What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    edited January 2023
    97% Owned

A slightly dated documentary (made in 2012) made after the financial crash that explains how money is created and how the banks and financial markets operate. 

Really interesting stuff and also goes some way into explaining why successive governments haven’t got a grip on the banks. 

Towards the end a couple of financial analysts suggest a couple of ways financial reform could happen, although it’s unlikely it ever will. 

It’s quite complicated in parts and I can’t pretend I fully understood everything but the message I got was that banks are bastards and have too much power. 

Of course, I already knew that but at least now I kinda know why. 

Netflix

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    The Dark Tower. Based on the Stephen King books, but a sort of sequel using some of his plotlines and characters. Such a strange film...a mixture of really good and absolutely awful. It doesn’t help that the action and storyline randomly jump around all over the place, like it was edited by a 10 year old. Somehow it’s still got Ron Howard’s name as producer attached to it, which can’t have done his cv much good. However Idris Elba is pretty good as the Gunslinger, Matthew McConnaughey hams it up terribly but still makes a decent villain and some of the effects are good. The rest…. meh. 

It was never going to be easy to make a film of the original books as they’re a sprawling mess with some really weird and probably unfilmable plot ideas but I think this could’ve been a whole lot better with some decent pacing and editing. 

A towering 5/10.  
  • Watched The Bank Job on Netflix, 2008 film based on a true story, really enjoyed it 
    Riddim up
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    The Pale Blue Eyes - Netflix 7/8 out of 10

Hard to give a brief description without spoilers, but it involves Edgar Allen Poe's days in the military shortly after he published his first collection of poems under the pen name ''A Bostonian''.
    if you havent,  watch Amsterdam,   compare Bale's characters 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3461
    edited January 2023
    bertie said:
    The Pale Blue Eyes - Netflix 7/8 out of 10

Hard to give a brief description without spoilers, but it involves Edgar Allen Poe's days in the military shortly after he published his first collection of poems under the pen name ''A Bostonian''.
    if you havent,  watch Amsterdam,   compare Bale's characters 

I thought Bale was in it, the guy who played Poe was brilliant.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14012
    edited January 2023
    Brightburn (2019)

Childless couple in a rural setting find a baby in a crashed alien spaceship and adopt him as their own.  However, young Brandon isn't quite what he seems and when he turns 12, he starts behaving very strangely indeed.

I didn't really have any expectations for this, but it was really REALLY good.  Whilst the premise is pretty simple, it's very well executed, has some believable characters and is unsettling in places.  I won't telegraph the very obvious and deliberate parallels as they become evident fairly early on.  But it's a great little low budget film which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Recommended - 8.5/10.

the guy who played Poe was brilliant.
    he was Dudley in the Harry Potter films...................   
    Offset said:
    Brightburn (2019)

Childless couple in a rural setting find a baby in a crashed alien spaceship and adopt him as their own.  However, young Brandon isn't quite what he seems and when he turns 12, he starts behaving very strangely indeed.

I didn't really have any expectations for this, but it was really REALLY good.  Whilst the premise is pretty simple, it's very well executed, has some believable characters and is unsettling in places.  I won't telegraph the very obvious and deliberate parallels as they become evident fairly early on.  But it's a great little low budget film which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Recommended - 8.5/10.
    I had Barry Normans voice in my head while reading that
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    bertie said:
    Was he saying "your grandmother says hello" or "run to the light"?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Get on up.

The James Brown bio.

Top quality performances from Boseman and others but not a lot of story. I would have liked to know more about the man.

10/10 for the music and the acting

5/10 for the script.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2987
    Watched the Menu last night on Netflix or Prime or whatever we’ve got.
    Ralph Fiennes as an executive/ celebrated chef.  Completely not what I expected .  The Holt chap from Wokingham is in it, as is Anya Taylor whatshername from the Chess series,  quite enjoyed it,  lots of food in it but it is not  foodie film,  worth a couple of hours,  
    Philly_Q said:
    bertie said:
    Was he saying "your grandmother says hello" or "run to the light"?
    ...and all the while, 'Unchained Melody' played in the background...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    boogieman said:
    The Dark Tower. Based on the Stephen King books, but a sort of sequel using some of his plotlines and characters. Such a strange film...a mixture of really good and absolutely awful. It doesn’t help that the action and storyline randomly jump around all over the place, like it was edited by a 10 year old. Somehow it’s still got Ron Howard’s name as producer attached to it, which can’t have done his cv much good. However Idris Elba is pretty good as the Gunslinger, Matthew McConnaughey hams it up terribly but still makes a decent villain and some of the effects are good. The rest…. meh. 

It was never going to be easy to make a film of the original books as they’re a sprawling mess with some really weird and probably unfilmable plot ideas but I think this could’ve been a whole lot better with some decent pacing and editing. 

A towering 5/10.  
    I think your super generous with 5/10 

i have read the full series of books a couple times over the years and thought it was bloody awful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:

A towering 5/10.  
    I think your super generous with 5/10 

i have read the full series of books a couple times over the years and thought it was bloody awful 
    It was utter shite.  2/10 from me.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6540
    The Pale Blue Eye. 2/10
  • Barbarian on Disney plus.
    Very good setup, not such a great finale with a bit of B-movie fun inbetween. I'm sure if it had been made in the 70s it would be a cult film but it wasn't so it isn't.
    7/10
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Radioactivity

The Marie Curie story basically, with Rosamund Pyke in the lead role, looking like Helen Mirren and sounding like Helen Mirren. It didn't really tell me anything about Marie Curie I didn't know and although well acted I doubt I will remember it in a few months.

Apart from Rosamund Pyke looke like Helen Mirren

6.5/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Mary Queen Of Scots

Historical drama with Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie as Mary and Elizabeth I. Well, sort-of historical…

Actually, despite the questionable accuracy and some of the casting which was widely criticised at the time, it works perfectly well - the quality of the acting and direction makes it completely possible to ignore the dubious historical bits and just enjoy a brilliantly made film. Jack Lowden steals it as Darnley, but there’s also a fantastic cameo from David Tennant as John Knox.

8/10

(BBC)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Pale Blue Eye

Gave it a go and couldn't really get into it.  It was all very well done, though, and I do like Christian Bale a lot but his character seemed to be from the border between America and Derbyshire.

When it got to the part about devil worship and the young girl talking to the dead it went off - that stuff freaks me right out, and for good reason.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25095
    Haych said:
    The Pale Blue Eye

Gave it a go and couldn't really get into it.  It was all very well done, though, and I do like Christian Bale a lot but his character seemed to be from the border between America and Derbyshire.

When it got to the part about devil worship and the young girl talking to the dead it went off - that stuff freaks me right out, and for good reason.

And now you've got me interested.... I've got a feeling I've read the book, ages ago, but I don't remember anything about it.