Klon Centaur...

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3126
edited August 2014 in FX
Over £1000 for an overdrive pedal. Really?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2452
    Really.

In defence of these sky high prices, the latest Klon's are branded with:

"kindly remember: the ridiculous hype that offends so many is not of my making"

I've heard Matt Schofield use his at one of his gigs.  He sounded ace, he always does, but it didn't make me think, "Shit, I need a Klon".  

There are cheaper alternatives. I simply couldn't justify that amount on a pedal, even if I did have the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Please not again
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    If I have one, I'd sell it and get a guitar and Soul Food. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014

Oh it is. All the announcements about the KTR, then the delays helped to build the hype. Small batch runs to keep them exclusive and prices high as they instantly sell out. Demand outstripping supply as usual. 

Why not get on board with a regular manufacturer for an official licensed version to his spec to satisfy the demands of the market? 

Although if that did happen we'd be in a "that's not a proper one" situation, only the originals have the magic and all that guff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WTF is a Klon Centaur?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    No idea. Aren't they a team from Macedonia currently playing in the qualifying rounds of the Europa League?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    beed84 said:
    In defence of these sky high prices, the latest Klon's are branded with:

It might as well have a winking smiley after it. 

That idiotic sentence actually killed any remaining respect I had for him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I just want to clarify that I'm not siding with the pedal making man, I also think the "kindly remember..." statement is cringeworthy. It could end with "...however, the money that I'm now making because of it is!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7414
    I dont get the hype, no where near enough gain for teh metulZ
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    beed84 said:
    I've heard Matt Schofield use his at one of his gigs. 
    No longer on his board. FTT SOV2 MS Sig (buffered), Vemuram Jan Ray, MP Deep Blue Delay x 2, Sonic research tuner.

Fantastic Fingers is what gets (most of)  his tone. SVL Strat and TR Sig amp helps too, but he'd sound great with a Squier and a HRDx.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    hywelg;315657" said:
    beed84 said:I've heard Matt Schofield use his at one of his gigs. 

No longer on his board. FTT SOV2 MS Sig (buffered), Vemuram Jan Ray, MP Deep Blue Delay x 2, Sonic research tuner.

Fantastic Fingers is what gets (most of)  his tone. SVL Strat and TR Sig amp helps too, but he'd sound great with a Squier and a HRDx.
    Take it your a fan then c? :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited August 2014
    spacecadet said: http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/5560307605_20d7d60de9_z_zpsb53486b3.jpg

...some years ago some bright spark at BAXTERS Soups thought of the addition of KIDNEY soup... However, what do the kidneys predominantly do in the body? and what happens when immersed in water and tinned?? Yes - you end up with
    Kidneys in Piss!

Baxters PISS soup... genius!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Even a DOD Gonkulator is stupidly priced. 

Even the shredmaster was fetching £250+ for what was a £40 pedal. 

It all comes in cycles. Klons will come down in price again.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    lets face it, the guys brilliant at marketing, but I said that on the other 6 posts we've had about this....Yawn
    hywelg said:
    beed84 said:
    I've heard Matt Schofield use his at one of his gigs. 

I just assumed it was.  Goes to show you then, that it makes very it little difference having a Klon....
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited August 2014
    Why in the name of God, does everyone get uptight abut the price of these pedals ?. 

I couldn't give a toss what a Centaur costs. There are enough decent sounding pedals on the market these days to satisfy anyone and everyone at all price points, so who cares if there are pedals going for upwards of £1,000. It's just a market economy at work exercising the supply and demand business model. If people can afford it and/or are dumb enough to pay it, that's down to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    +1

Just to put it into perspective, you can spend £250,000 on a 1959 Les Paul Standard, or you can buy an Epiphone Les Paul Standard which arguably does very close to the same job for £250. That's a 1000:1 price difference.

Going on the same scale, you can buy a second hand Boss SD-1 for about £20, so the "best overdrive pedal in the world" (assuming that's what the Klon is) could be £20,000 and still not be any more expensive in relative terms.

I wouldn't spend £1000 on a pedal any more than I could afford to spend a quarter of a million on a guitar, but if I could then the price of the pedal probably wouldn't bother me if I really wanted one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2414
    ^ Yeah :))

Still you could make a pretty good argument that most threads in a forum are kind of pointless. From that point of view I think it's fair enough to discuss stuff like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ Yeah :))

Still you could make a pretty good argument that most threads in a forum are kind of pointless. From that point of view I think it's fair enough to discuss stuff like this.

Bigsbys 
    Price of the Klon 
    Gibson QA 
    Are pedal clones immoral 
    All couriers are numpties 
    Page was sloppy 
    Kirt is shit 
    Bonamassa has too many signature products 

It's the life blood of guitar Internet forums. It's all been said before, but otherwise we'd have precious little else to talk about
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom