Klon Centaur...

What's Hot

Comments

• I thought the dumbloid was exposed as another poorly built TS clone? Was that the one from Japan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtier;318574" said:
    They said it would never be sold......
    That's true.

JoBo paid £750 I believe....

Anyway - if you played through it, you are definitely more special than me....
    I know it was only a week or two before the shop went under,( taking all customers consignment sales  guitars with them) but wow that was a bargain. If Id of known that, Id of scraped the cash together!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • they wouldn't sell it to muggles, I offered to buy it but it was "not for sale" but I guess the marketing of "we sold Jobo our Klon" was worth it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24883
    lustycourtier;320673" said:
    I know it was only a week or two before the shop went under,( taking all customers consignment sales  guitars with them) but wow that was a bargain. If Id of known that, Id of scraped the cash together!
    It wasn't actually - September of last year.

The shop closed in February of this year:

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/bonamassa-pops-into-tone-world/018142
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
    I thought the dumbloid was exposed as another poorly built TS clone? Was that the one from Japan?
    It is the one from Japan but not even close to a tube screamer - closer to a Pete Cornish G2 but with a little more grit
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7513
    edited August 2014
    alanbass1 said:
    I thought the dumbloid was exposed as another poorly built TS clone? Was that the one from Japan?
    It is the one from Japan but not even close to a tube screamer - closer to a Pete Cornish G2 but with a little more grit
    It's a TS derived circuit.

Doesn't mean it sounds anything like one, though I found I could mimic some of the sounds (in YT demos, admittedly) with my Route 66 with the bass boost on, tone down a wee bit and gain up high (it has a lot of gain for a TS style pedal).  

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2414
    Yeah pretty much. A modded TS, to be fair, but still. Ah TPD beat me to it.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2014
    As mentioned above, from a circuit topology perspective it is a Tube Screamer with a lot of component changes (I built one on a TS board to prove a point over on TGP). You can dial it back and make it sound like a cranked tube screamer. But it's much higher gain.

The Cornish G2 is a Muff wrapped in buffers.

Indeed I've just had this argument with myself over on TGP: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1467674
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
    see my avatar, best overdrive pedal in the universe ... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, why would anyone spend ^ of £1200 for a pedal that although lovely still isn't better than a good amp. I've owned two silver klons and paid $250 (his rrp I think) for each from bill finnegan. I've built lots of klones including several for myself and again, all of them were lovely but it's just a pedal. As a builder myself I still can't beat simon kingsleys efforts..... Look at these guts http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m447/thorpy6/1d5bcf525aa85e77b57f9d513e67b049.jpg And the pedal sounds amazing too. All for $375 ($400delivered) without any hype.... Still expensive but for what you get I think it's an amazing piece of kit
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Yeah but without goop there is no magic, no imagination
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    thorpy6 said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, why would anyone spend ^ of £1200 for a pedal that although lovely still isn't better than a good amp. I've owned two silver klons and paid $250 (his rrp I think) for each from bill finnegan. I've built lots of klones including several for myself and again, all of them were lovely but it's just a pedal. As a builder myself I still can't beat simon kingsleys efforts..... Look at these guts http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m447/thorpy6/1d5bcf525aa85e77b57f9d513e67b049.jpg And the pedal sounds amazing too. All for $375 ($400delivered) without any hype.... Still expensive but for what you get I think it's an amazing piece of kit

true dat.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    thorpy6 said:

What pedal is THAT ?!

I think the price is worth it for his time alone.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    I think it's one of these: http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/20/

I'd rather like a Juggler, but I don't think you can get them in the UK unless you import them.
    tFB Trader
    It's a jester, as per the link. You do have to import them but it doesn't take long (2weeks ish) and I didn't get stung for vat either this time.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • hey how did you manage to dodge the VAT - did you have to pay 'import duty' where they hold it to ransom at the PO (PM me if it's a trade secret!)??

tFB Trader
    Spikeedog said:

hey how did you manage to dodge the VAT - did you have to pay 'import duty' where they hold it to ransom at the PO (PM me if it's a trade secret!)??

No secret, it sometimes happens where parcels slip through the net. The best bit is the speed things get here when they slip through.
  • ...never happened to me I'm afraid but you rate the unit??
    tFB Trader
    Honestly I've built and/or owned most of the boutique overdrives out there. The jester beats them all, everytime. It's because it really is like a channel in your amp, compared to a normal pedal it sounds more natural and has a complexity to the sound you can't get from even jfet pedals. Simon kingsley is a great guy to boot.