Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best man?

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
Who's done it? I've got about a month left to prepare and I'm starting to brick it a little bit.

Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Short speech first and foremost, make sure you know who's who, know where yer supposed to be standing, try not to upset anyone, identify a discreet path to the bar for later so nobody notices when yer slaughtered. Remember where the toilets are.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Only drink after the speech....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Short speech? Music to my ears and one the father of the bride is a big believer in. They're also having them very quickly before the meal, which I also like.

I probably would have had a cheeky short before but maybe not now, it's a good point. After that I'll be getting ratted mind.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Say how pretty the bride is. Say you've been great mates for years and then take the piss out of the groom. Couple of smutty jokes, nothing too graphic though. Toast to the new Mr & Mrs X. Job done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Say how pretty the bride is. Say you've been great mates for years and then take the piss out of the groom. Couple of smutty jokes, nothing too graphic though. Toast to the new Mr & Mrs X. Job done.
    With that brief I probably wouldn't even need to write anything down. Would probably take no more than 5 minutes. Nice one.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Been there, done it.

Dig up loads of embarrassing 'facts' and previous dubious scenarios about the groom for your speech. A few Photoshopped piccies help to bolster any stories. It matters not if none of it is remotely true, because no matter how much the bloke denies it, no-one else will believe him, and the more he denies it, the less he'll be believed. Trust me on this one!

FFS don't do the same for the bride. She might be the town bike, but it's not going to go down well. (No pun intended).

Have a few drinks but don't get trashed yet, because it's your job to make sure the groom gets off to his honeymoon in one piece.

Then get trashed.

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I've done it before, & would agree that about five minutes is all you need, & that it's no sauce til post-speech.

I found it easier to plan what I was going to say, and typed up the speech - think it was about a side and a half of a4 - but I'm not the world's greatest public speaker, & that was what worked for me. I'd assume you'd need to at least have some notes to work from though :)

OTH - the couple I was best man for are no longer together unfortunately, so you may want to disregard what I have to say ...
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I solved this by not having friends!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1419

If you have to use a written speech, write each line or paragraph in a different couloured pen.

That way it's easy to see where you're up to rather than getting lost.

Leave the paper on the table infront of you while speaking, don't hold it up infront of you.

There is much wisdom in this book regardless of what you may think of Mitch Murray or Bob Monkhouse:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mitch-Murrays-One-liners-Weddings-Murray/dp/0572018967/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407663584&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=bob+monkhouse+%2B+wedding+speakers

dchwhite said:
    I've done it before, & would agree that about five minutes is all you need, & that it's no sauce til post-speech.

I found it easier to plan what I was going to say, and typed up the speech - think it was about a side and a half of a4 - but I'm not the world's greatest public speaker, & that was what worked for me. I'd assume you'd need to at least have some notes to work from though :)

OTH - the couple I was best man for are no longer together unfortunately, so you may want to disregard what I have to say ...
    Side and a half of A4 sounds about right. In 72 point font yeah?
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    I solved this by not having friends!
    I have lots of acquaintances but very few close mates. I reckon it's the first (and probably the last) time I'll ever be called upon.
  • I did it but I didn't do anything other than organise a really quiet stag do. I didn't give a speech.
    Old Is Gold
    edited August 2014
    SimonC said:

If you have to use a written speech, write each line or paragraph in a different couloured pen.

That way it's easy to see where you're up to rather than getting lost.

Leave the paper on the table infront of you while speaking, don't hold it up infront of you.

There is much wisdom in this book regardless of what you may think of Mitch Murray or Bob Monkhouse:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mitch-Murrays-One-liners-Weddings-Murray/dp/0572018967/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407663584&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=bob+monkhouse+%2B+wedding+speakers

Good tips, that'll help thanks.

I'm feeling better already with all this wisdom. Cheers everyone.

Edit: I've just ordered the book. £1.99 delivered from ebay. The first part of it sounds interesting and I think it'll help. Thanks again man.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Deadman said:
    dchwhite said:

;)

Lol. 11pt Arial fwiw. And even though no-one will see it but you, make sure you justify the text so you don't get annoyed at your shoddy typing technique whilst speaking :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

I did it but I didn't do anything other than organise a really quiet stag do. I didn't give a speech.
    Lucky man!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    One of my old school buddies was telling me last night about a really awkward best man speech moment. Everybody apparently turned up for the wedding breakfast, and red roses appeared to be on random seats around the room. He gave what has to be the worst speech in history - hitting all the wrong notes, and not remotely amusing or witty - and finished up with...

"In case you're wondering what all the roses mean - they're all the people who got to the bride before the groom did."

So...yeah. Don't do that.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dchwhite said:
    Deadman said:
    dchwhite said:

;)

Lol. 11pt Arial fwiw. And even though no-one will see it but you, make sure you justify the text so you don't get annoyed at your shoddy typing technique whilst speaking :)
    Arial is the law. Thanks. I'll remember that.
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    Just do a PowerPoint job done !  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Don't under any circumstances mention something the groom has done that the bride doesn't know about. 

Seen it done and it's ugly.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    One of my old school buddies was telling me last night about a really awkward best man speech moment. Everybody apparently turned up for the wedding breakfast, and red roses appeared to be on random seats around the room. He gave what has to be the worst speech in history - hitting all the wrong notes, and not remotely amusing or witty - and finished up with...

"In case you're wondering what all the roses mean - they're all the people who got to the bride before the groom did."

So...yeah. Don't do that.
    Ouch.  *insert facepalm here*