Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best man?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902

I'm actually having a Best Woman at my wedding. My wife-to-be gets on with her like a house on fire and we've been best friends for a very long time, so it made sense. I don't have many male friends, well none that I'd trust to be a best man anyway tbh. I'm hoping she's going to be gentle on me in her speech, gulp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

I'd just keep it lighthearted, short and simple. Remember to thank all the right people, smile, and don't try too hard to get any belly laughs. 

People will love you for that and you'll enjoy it too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    edited August 2014
    Don't under any circumstances mention something the groom has done that the bride doesn't know about. 

Seen it done and it's ugly.

ha, yes, me too. Went down very badly. At mine I didn't have a best man and a speech was requested of me instead. Totally unprepared I mumbled about the cake for 2 minutes. If I ever get married again it will be speech free, no one is interested.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Don't under any circumstances mention something the groom has done that the bride doesn't know about. 

Seen it done and it's ugly.

ha, yes, me too. Went down very badly. At mine I didn't have a best man and a speech was requested of me instead. Totally unprepared I mumbled about the cake for 2 minutes. If I ever get married again it will be speech free, no one is interested.
    Now I think about it, I didn't have a best man either - I don't think I wanted to twist anyone's arm into making a speech when they might not have wanted to, but I can't honestly remember.

I think I gave the world's shortest 'speech' - thanked everyone for coming, and then announced that our third child would be turning up six months or so later, which I suppose at least gave everyone something to talk about for a bit :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314

10mg diazepam in the morning and 10 mg late afternoon with PLENTY of large vodkas in between

no one will be able tae forget your speech except you

good luck bro

tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Emp_Fab;316685" said:

I couldn't watch the first one after 30 seconds, cringemaking. Poor fecker looks terrified. :(
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    My brothers asked each other, given that the oldest one got married 3 times he could have asked me at least once. :( although the weddings got smaller each time, had he made it to number 4 I think it would have just been an online application.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I haven't done a best man speech, but I did one at my sister's wedding. I wasn't planning to but it kind of happened and people liked it more than the best man's speech which he had written in advance, which made me feel VERY guilty.
    My V key is broken
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Bet that boosted your self-confidence a bit, though.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    I was bricking it before I did mine. I've known my best mate for nearly 30 years so I knew the majority of the people and felt the pressure to deliver a good speech. 10 minutes MAX, shorter if possible. Mention the bride and how good she looks, a quick embarrassing anecdote that involves the groom...then just a brief history of your relationship and the relationship of the happy couple. The good news for you is they are doing the speeches pre meal...if this hadn't happened at my mates wedding, I wouldn't have eaten as I was so nervous. Start writing it now, even just jotting down some ideas, otherwise you'll miss out loads if you leave it til the last minute. And you can read/time it before hand to see what you need to cut out/add in. And for the rest of the day, be charming as fuck, dance with the chief bridesmaid and both mothers once the music starts and don't lose the rings! Best of luck!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Here's some freebies for you. Guaranteed to go down like a shit sandwich...

Open the speech by telling your audience that now your friend has done the right thing by his new wife she must do the same and ask all the other men to hand in the key to her door as she must give her husband exclusivity now. (You've given half the blokes there a key beforehand and they all come to the front and chuck them on the table).

Recall the morning after their first date when your friend gave her some carrots and hay for breakfast to see if she "ate like a rabbit as well".

Good luck!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    joneve;317002" said:
    I was bricking it before I did mine. I've known my best mate for nearly 30 years so I knew the majority of the people and felt the pressure to deliver a good speech. 10 minutes MAX, shorter if possible. Mention the bride and how good she looks, a quick embarrassing anecdote that involves the groom...then just a brief history of your relationship and the relationship of the happy couple.

The good news for you is they are doing the speeches pre meal...if this hadn't happened at my mates wedding, I wouldn't have eaten as I was so nervous.

Start writing it now, even just jotting down some ideas, otherwise you'll miss out loads if you leave it til the last minute. And you can read/time it before hand to see what you need to cut out/add in.

And for the rest of the day, be charming as fuck, dance with the chief bridesmaid and both mothers once the music starts and don't lose the rings!

Best of luck!
    I read that as 'Fuck the chief bridesmaid' at first glance :-O

Great advice from all of you. Cheers lads!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Bet that boosted your self-confidence a bit, though.
    Yeah, wish I could get some of it back.
    My V key is broken
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

If the speech is longer than 8 minutes it doesn't matter how good it is. Doing a short one isn't a cop-out - no-one really cares about it except the best man himself.

The best one I ever saw wasn't really even a speech, it was the karaoke version of a well-known song rewritten with amusing stuff about the groom. The guests sang it so the best man hardly had to do anything but unravel a big roll of paper with the lyrics on. I've never heard of anyone else doing this so it would probably come across as quite novel.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7519
    dont do that shitty speech about there always being room for beer with the rocks and pebbles and whatnot is a vase. seen in multiple times, complete lack of originality. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7519
    And if you're ever vicaring for a wedding dont read Paul's letter to the Corintheans.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    CabbageCat;317173" said:
    If the speech is longer than 8 minutes it doesn't matter how good it is. Doing a short one isn't a cop-out - no-one really cares about it except the best man himself.The best one I ever saw wasn't really even a speech, it was the karaoke version of a well-known song rewritten with amusing stuff about the groom. The guests sang it so the best man hardly had to do anything but unravel a big roll of paper with the lyrics on. I've never heard of anyone else doing this so it would probably come across as quite novel.
    That's got legs. I could use my THR10 and mobile to play the tune.....hmmmmm..
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Deadman said:
    I read that as 'Fuck the chief bridesmaid' at first glance :-O

That is the Best Man's job too....

Do not, and I have seen this, download 2 halfs of different speaches from t'inferweb, print them off, and literally read them out and try to make them sound good.

Especially if they're shit to start with...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited August 2014
    Done it 5 times.
    A lot of what I'd suggest has been said but here goes anyway:
    Know who's who and introduce yourself to the top table people ASAP
    Don't embarrass the groom or be rude
    but compliment him ( and the bride)
    I think you thank the bridesmaids
    If you can't do funny, keep it short
    Make yourself known to key service people so they come to you instead of bothering the bride and groom
    Make notes and rehearse it so it's natural
    And.....have fun!