Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Energy price increases

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10534
    Reverend said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
    Ah yes, a valid point.
    You had a road !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5200
    It’s all my fault…I upset the universe’s balance and tried to swap from British Gas to Avro…and within a week it all crumbled and Avro collapsed  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    siremoon said:

So two by this Government, sort of.  Beyond that what?  Perhaps you could give us this list of "several" because I can't think of any.
    No, I meant the other way round. They had opportunities to renationalise failed privatisations but refused to do so. As you point out there are several in the railway sector alone, starting with Railtrack - I know very well that was under Labour (New variety) - they’re just as guilty.

There’s also British Energy, the remnants of British Steel, and Carillion - which although not originally a public company, was used as a way of privatising many essential services which were once publicly owned. All these could and should have been bought back into the public sector when they were worth nothing.

I assume nothing will be done about electricity and gas now either, the ownership will just be passed to a smaller cartel of private companies who will continue to provide poor service for their customers and good profits for their shareholders.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    siremoon said:
    ICBM said:
    And yet again, for ideological reasons the government will run away from the opportunity to renationalise the industry at almost zero cost by buying up bankrupt companies for a token amount, as they've done with several other failed privatisations.
    "Several", really? 

Let's start with the railways.  Railtrack was done by a Labour Government.

So two by this Government, sort of.  Beyond that what?  Perhaps you could give us this list of "several" because I can't think of any.

Railtrack was formed under Major Government - Railways Act 1993? 
    Labour opposed but never reversed it when they came to power.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    exocet said:
    siremoon said:
    ICBM said:
    And yet again, for ideological reasons the government will run away from the opportunity to renationalise the industry at almost zero cost by buying up bankrupt companies for a token amount, as they've done with several other failed privatisations.
    "Several", really? 

Let's start with the railways.  Railtrack was done by a Labour Government.

Railtrack was formed under Major Government - Railways Act 1993? 
    Labour opposed but never reversed it when they came to power.

The current shambles with Network Rail and the TOCs was a New Labour thing.  They should have re-nationalised and de-fragmented the railways when Railtrack went under.

While we are on the subject of railways, the Tube PPP omnishambles was entirely a New Labour creation.
    crunchman said:

The current shambles with Network Rail and the TOCs was a New Labour thing.  They should have re-nationalised and de-fragmented the railways when Railtrack went under.

While we are on the subject of railways, the Tube PPP omnishambles was entirely a New Labour creation.
    Indeed. I'm not specifically blaming the Tories, although privatisation in the first place was a cornerstone of their philosophy - and PPP/PFI were started by them as well - but if anything, the problem with New Labour is that they were far too willing to go along with it.

Privatisation is simply the wrong solution for large public service natural monopolies, as has now been thoroughly proven.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Octopus may be looking to take over Bulb. I'm with Bulb and I'd prefer to move to them than the big guns.

https://news.sky.com/story/octopus-energy-explores-bid-to-wrap-tentacles-around-bulb-amid-sector-crisis-12417304

• Danny1969 said:
    We are so soft these days. I grew up in a house without any heating other than a little gas fire in the front room. The house had single paned crittall windows so heat on the inside would soon pass through them. But we coped by wearing extra jumpers and shutting doors to preserve what little heat we had.
    Now it seems we can't survive without every room in the house being heated. Fact is we need to stop being so entitled and need to stop burning gas so I don't mind it going up. 
    No one needs a monthly price plan, just use what you use a quarter and then pay the bill. If the bill offends you then use less. 

Also it's rare to get any really savage winters these days. At least I remember them being colder with more ice about. 
    Yeah that's fair if you choose to do it that way , but !
    I would not just heat one room when as needed . You are running a risk of either loosing more money due to condensation and mould and repairs or generally property value .

My mate has 3 bedroom house and still live with his parents .
    They have no heating as they don't want to spend the money on .
    They are running electric heaters at winter and trying to stay without one as long as possible keep putting more blankets like an onion .
    It looks weird to see it , and their house stinks badly of mould .
    It's truly horrible to live like this !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5779
    I used to work with a guy who lived in the Welsh valleys somewhere. 

He was fairly well off and was double paying his mortgage but he refused to put the heating on, ever!

He lived alone so I suppose it didn’t matter but he said he watch TV with a coat, gloves and a blanket on in the winter. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Haych said:
    I used to work with a guy who lived in the Welsh valleys somewhere. 

He was fairly well off and was double paying his mortgage but he refused to put the heating on, ever!

He lived alone so I suppose it didn’t matter but he said he watch TV with a coat, gloves and a blanket on in the winter. 
    Wow! I'd surprised if his clothes weren't smelly all the time .
  • ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Indeed. I'm not specifically blaming the Tories, although privatisation in the first place was a cornerstone of their philosophy - and PPP/PFI were started by them as well - but if anything, the problem with New Labour is that they were far too willing to go along with it.

Privatisation is simply the wrong solution for large public service natural monopolies, as has now been thoroughly proven.

Anything government-run* is likely to be an expensive shambles, with taxpayers picking up the tab. They couldn’t run a poxy bath.

*Any flavour of government, that is.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    edited September 2021
    Do you think this is better? A cartel pretty much fixing prices in the years of lower cost energy then running things badly in the current lean spell, whilst their shareholders cream off the top? 

It's a joke, all of it, utilities should not be privatised end of, it does not breed competition and lower prices, it breeds greed. I'd rather the money was wasted than lining the pockets of people who have no interest in things like whether 90 year old Ethel dare put her heating on, or the young family with no money who can't afford to even keep one room warm. Theres a perfect shit storm brewing this winter and all this is going to do is contribute to it massively. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • With Ovo atm who we’ve been generally happy with. Currently paying £100pm leccy and gas, fixed rate but that ends next month. They want £160 to fix it for another year or two. 
    Octopus are quoting £130pm but not sure what they’re like - any customers here? 
  • Boromedic said:
    Do you think this is better? A cartel pretty much fixing prices in the years of lower cost energy then running things badly in the current lean spell, whilst their shareholders cream off the top? 

It's a joke, all of it, utilities should not be privatised end of, it does not breed competition and lower prices, it breeds greed. I'd rather the money was wasted than lining the pockets of people who have no interest in things like whether 90 year old Ethel dare put her heating on, or the young family with no money who can't afford to even keep one room warm. Theres a perfect shit storm brewing this winter and all this is going to do is contribute to it massively. 
    I’ve been perfectly happy with my energy prices up until now, and I have no problem with a private company making profits. After all, it’s what they’re in business for, not just to do us all a favour.

But in my view the current issue is not with privatisation, rather it’s the shower of shit known as Ofgem and their bloody ridiculous price cap, which meant the energy companies were paying a tenner for something they could only sell for a fiver. There’s only one way a business will go when that happens, and it’s precisely what we’re witnessing right now.

Had Ofgem removed the cap, the energy companies could have raised their prices and none of this would have had to happen.

• With Ovo atm who we’ve been generally happy with. Currently paying £100pm leccy and gas, fixed rate but that ends next month. They want £160 to fix it for another year or two. 
    Been with them for 3 years and never had a problem. Always been the most competitive on price and customer service has been good.

I can give you a referral code if you like, and we'll split £100 between of accounts not credit between us? 
  • Boromedic said:

I’ve been perfectly happy with my energy prices up until now, and I have no problem with a private company making profits. After all, it’s what they’re in business for, not just to do us all a favour.

But in my view the current issue is not with privatisation, rather it’s the shower of shit known as Ofgem and their bloody ridiculous price cap, which meant the energy companies were paying a tenner for something they could only sell for a fiver. There’s only one way a business will go when that happens, and it’s precisely what we’re witnessing right now.

Had Ofgem removed the cap, the energy companies could have raised their prices and none of this would have had to happen.

Yeah the private companies are completely blameless in this whole scenario, of course they are..... nothing to see here, blame Ofgem and the UK Government. No doubt the government will be paying a subsidy to firms for taking on extra customers, plus we're gonna get f**ked on the pricing too once we get chance to check the rates and standing charges. Win win

Been with them for 3 years and never had a problem. Always been the most competitive on price and customer service has been good.

I can give you a referral code if you like, and we'll split £100 between of accounts not credit between us? 
    Is that referral code one time only, if not would I be able to tap it too please?!

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3962
    edited September 2021
    Boromedic said:
    With Ovo atm who we’ve been generally happy with. Currently paying £100pm leccy and gas, fixed rate but that ends next month. They want £160 to fix it for another year or two. 

Is that referral code one time only, if not would I be able to tap it too please?!
    I don't actually know the T's & C's to be honest!

EDIT: just checked seems there's no limit, so if anyone wants a referral then drop me a PM...

https://octopus.energy/blog/octopus-referrals/#referrallimit
  • Nice one, @Dontgiveupyourdayjob that's very gracious of you. Once I get moved over and can swap I'll drop you a line! Thank you 

chillidoggy said:

Anything government-run* is likely to be an expensive shambles, with taxpayers picking up the tab. They couldn’t run a poxy bath.

*Any flavour of government, that is.
    The right way to do it is with a publicly-owned but independently-run organisation, as most of the utilities in Europe are run.
    We've had good examples in this country over the last fifty years or more of why both the government-run, and the privately-owned, models do not work. The old nationalised industries were badly-run and ineffective, but the idea that privatisation and competition would give greater efficiency and better customer service has now been thoroughly disproven - all that happens is that private shareholders benefit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom