Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Energy price increases

What's Hot
Energy price increases are getting crazy. I am with Igloo, in July notified that prices were to increase by 12%. Just been notified prices to increase by another 14%.

I checked other prices and they are still cheaper than alternatives.

In Spain they are currently paying 4 times what they paid last year. My Spanish teacher says that their standing charge is 150/month - before they use any electric.

That is a fair old battering for people on the breadline!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The energy price cap is going up at month end so if anyone is not on a fixed rate tariff then best to get on one before your fees goes up. If you'd like a £50 sign up credit with Octopus (one of the 3 best rated and value renewable suppliers) then you can try this:

share.octopus.energy/tidy-kudu-643
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5163
    Yep, I’ve just changed to a fixed deal saving about £500 a year. I was due to be changed over to a British Gas Standard Variable rate at approx £1,700 a year. Managed to to find a fixed deal with Avro for a lot less…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just fixed with eon next as they were the cheapest I found out of everyone 
  • I just moved, old provider was the cheapest for dual fuel (Orbit)
    but prices rising to standard rates 50%+ higher
    even the discount rate they offered wasn't that cheap

I moved to Symbio for electricity and Zog for gas
    both will be much cheaper than others after end of Sept

on uswitch you have to tick the box to display deals they can't do for you, and lots more appear, including these

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I just moved, old provider was the cheapest for dual fuel (Orbit)

on uswitch you have to tick the box to display deals they can't do for you, and lots more appear, including these

I'm with Ovo, coming out of an £89 per month deal, on 12 months actual usage they have offered me fixed at £118 per month. Uswitch showing £115 fixed per month, when I tick this box I can get £105 per month but variable and they can't do better.

Is it likely price rises over the next 12 months will cost me more than £120 if I go variable??

The £200 Keith Deller won for the kids home is safe,

I've got until the board revolves to make up my mind, what shall I do?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Same with heating oil. 2000l around £600 on last fill, just paid £900 for the next 2000l. No gas, but have been with Octopus for electric for the last 3yrs and can't fault them. Scottish Power prior to that who were a complete bunch of useless lying tossers.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been with Ovo for a while. Personally, I prefer fixed contracts, and renewed earlier this year for 2 years. When I looked at a comparison site or two, Ovo was only a little bit more expensive than going with the cheapest non established companies. Additionally Ovo pay interest on your credit balance with them. I'm actually using my Ovo account as an easy access savings account - as I've been with them a while, I get 5% interest on my credit balance up to £1,000. Where else do you get an interest rate like that? Effectively I reckon I'll get one month's energy free of charge this year.

If you happen to look the international  commodity markets (something that I take a slight interest in), the price of just about all commodities has been rising significantly in the last 18 months, and that includes the price of various energy sources. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:

I'm with Ovo, coming out of an £89 per month deal, on 12 months actual usage they have offered me fixed at £118 per month. Uswitch showing £115 fixed per month, when I tick this box I can get £105 per month but variable and they can't do better.

Is it likely price rises over the next 12 months will cost me more than £120 if I go variable??

check the fee to leave the fixed deal
    my ones are £0 and £30
    so no risk going fixed
    other than losing £10 you "could have saved" 
    Do we think wholesale fuel prices will go up or down?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    I'm with Shell on a fixed tariff dual fuel thing at £92 a month, probably not the best out there. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    munckee said:

check the fee to leave the fixed deal
    my ones are £0 and £30
    so no risk going fixed
    other than losing £10 you "could have saved" 
    Do we think wholesale fuel prices will go up or down?
    I anticipate they will go up, but if they go up then go down gain at some point in 12 months I may be better variable.  
  • We are on a group purchased discount deal. I can't remember the details but it was better than anything else I could find at the time. Shell Energy but I don't really have anything to do with them ( although my brainiac nephew works for them helping implement their EV charging roll out). 
    Always worth a quick look to see of there is a group purchase scheme in your area. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    I don't get this "fixed price" idea - surely the amount you pay will depend on the amount you use? 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    Nitefly said:
    I don't get this "fixed price" idea - surely the amount you pay will depend on the amount you use? 
    I think the fixed rate refers to the price per kw/h
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    edited September 2021
    Nitefly said:
    Got it.  So the amount of money spent or saved can only be calculated on the amount of energy you actually use.

• I just use Look After My Bills, I'm with Green currently.
  • Nitefly said:
    Nitefly said:
    Got it.  So the amount of money spent or saved can only be calculated on the amount of energy you actually use.

Correct. For instance, I recently started a new 2 year fixed rate plan, so the cost per unit of my electricity and gas is going to be unchanged for 2 years. My monthly bills will however vary depending on how much electricity and gas I use. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    Just use less electric and pay quarterly for what you have used. Don't get sucked into that monthly plan pay the same every month, that doesn't encourage you to use less as the amount is always the same.

I think just about everybody must have LED bulbs now, but if you haven't switch to them. Get a Halogen Oven so you don't need to heat an entire ovens worth of space to cook a pizza. Stop using dishwashers and tumble dryers. Only put the water in the kettle you are going to use, don't boil a whole kettles worth for 2 cups of tea. Don't leave things on constantly. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • notanon said:
    Energy price increases are getting crazy. I am with Igloo, in July notified that prices were to increase by 12%. Just been notified prices to increase by another 14%.

I checked other prices and they are still cheaper than alternatives.

In Spain they are currently paying 4 times what they paid last year. My Spanish teacher says that their standing charge is €150/month - before they use any electric.

That is a fair old battering for people on the breadline!
    Same! Bloody Martin Lewis' got a lot to answer for  :p
  • Danny1969 said:
    Just use less electric and pay quarterly for what you have used. Don't get sucked into that monthly plan pay the same every month, that doesn't encourage you to use less as the amount is always the same.

I think just about everybody must have LED bulbs now, but if you haven't switch to them. Get a Halogen Oven so you don't need to heat an entire ovens worth of space to cook a pizza. Stop using dishwashers and tumble dryers. Only put the water in the kettle you are going to use, don't boil a whole kettles worth for 2 cups of tea. Don't leave things on constantly. 

If you look at my first post, I would not necessarily agree with your second sentence. I had a "light bulb moment" (excuse the pun) earlier this year when I was searching for a new easy access savings account, and realised that I had an energy company that was, and still is, willing to pay me 5% interest on my account credit balance up to a balance of £1,000. I actually put an extra lump sum into my account to boost it, and still pay a regular monthly amount in order to maintain a good positive balance.

For me, doing my best to limit usage is dependant on being mindful about how I use energy.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    First year that I've gone to renew my bills and I've not been able to get a cheaper price anywhere. Everywhere was just exactly the same prices so I ended up staying where I was.