Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Energy price increases

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19357
    Sorry for not being clearer, I meant when the Ombudsman has sorted out which companies we are being passed on to & we can start to look around again. Instead of being in limbo until this process is sorted.
    Personally, despite being owed a couple of hundred quid by AVRO, I'm very tempted to find a new deal NOW & risk losing the balance, rather than wait longer & find the situation has worsened.
    Not for the first time, I really could use a working crystal ball  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
    I just renewed my Avro tariff two weeks ago... :(
    I was just about to move from Igloo to Avro then I saw the news last night. DD was due to come out on the 26th - this will be cancelled asap. I have emailed (you can't call them  :s ) Igloo to cancel my move to Avro. I wonder if Avro would still try to take my first up front payment if I do not cancel my DD. I am not taking that risk. Frickin pain in the arse all this stuff!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    edited September 2021
    Sorry for not being clearer, I meant when the Ombudsman has sorted out which companies we are being passed on to & we can start to look around again. Instead of being in limbo until this process is sorted.
    Personally, despite being owed a couple of hundred quid by AVRO, I'm very tempted to find a new deal NOW & risk losing the balance, rather than wait longer & find the situation has worsened.
    Not for the first time, I really could use a working crystal ball 
    Ofgen are requesting that impacted people don't do this because it muddies the water with respect to reallocating accounts to new providers I.e. wasting time allocating accounts that have already moved elsewhere. I don't know whether a new provider can simply "grab control" as opposed to an orderly handover. There's nothing to stop you trying but I suspect that the big 6 will be inundated with requests right now so it could be a time consuming process.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 620
    Is the whole "must get on to a fixed rate now!" talk a bit of a scam? I am with Igloo on a variable rate and here are the figures compared with the best fixed rate according to Martin Lewis - who I am sure has got to be one of the riches blokes around!!

Igloo (variable) vs Eon (fixed)

Gas
    (standing charge per day)
    26.6p                      36.36p

Unit rate
    3.18p                      4.48p

Electricity
    (standing charge)
    23.32p                    34.38p

Unit rate
    17.63p                    21.93p

I know my variable is going to rise again in October, but it will have to go some (30%?) reach the best fixed rate on the market atm! I think the standing charges from Eon are a joke. Once again we are had literally over the coals with our pants down!

Always with checking, as you did.

On money saving expert just a couple of days ago I checked all the suppliers. The recommended one for ourselves was supposed to save me £37/yr.

I plugged in the numbers and it was actually going to cost me £230 more per year.

There are compassion sites for 86 energy providers (may be less now). Why so many FFS, is this like insurance and other products where the cost of the service is a fraction of what we pay: Most of the cost is for computer equipment, buildings, advertising, . . . 

We are, fortunately, on the right side of the poverty gap but I do believe it is going to be hard for some.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 751
    edited September 2021
    HAL9000 said:
    So, why is this happening then? My understanding is that well over half of our electricity comes from non-fossil sources and is mostly renewables such as wind, solar, hydro, etc. Surely electricity prices should be either stable or coming down. What am I missing here?
    Not a complete answer to your question, but it's worth noting that electricity is not the biggest part of our overall energy consumption mix. Direct use of fossil fuels e.g. gas central heating, and particularly oil use for transport etc makes up a much bigger proportion. 

We use roughly twice the "amount" of gas (19.9 Mtoe) to generate electricity as we get from hydro, wind and solar (8.2 Mtoe). Nuclear accounts for 10.7 Mtoe of energy input to power stations. The conversion losses inherent in generating electricity are enormous.

Mtoe is Million tonnes of oil equivalent.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/energy-flow-chart-2020
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • I was with Avro until June then switched to So Energy. Hope they don't go Tits Up. Thankfully, I'm on a fixed rate. This is such a shit show it defies belief.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Im also with Avro, can only sit tight and wait for this all to blow over, possibly in the Winchester
    edited September 2021
    ^  I'll have a large V.A.T. Dave.
    Opinions on Minder TV series
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Boris wrote that for them though, so the Asset Strippers will be in by Morning.

=) 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Boris wrote that for them though, so the Asset Strippers will be in by Morning.

=) 
    With Boris, it'll more likely just involve a bunch of strippers ;)  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5779
    OK, so I have a question:

Avro have collapsed, they're no longer trading, but their direct debit payment is due in about a week.  

What do I do?  Let it go out or in good faith that it will be dealt with properly or cancel it and sideline the money for whoever fleeces me next?

Actually, now that I see the question in text the answer is almost automatic but I'll let it stand just in case........... shrugs.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Fucking unbelievable.

Avro has just emailed me for meter readings, despite not being able to access the site, or any documents.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    edited September 2021
    Haych said:

Avro have collapsed, they're no longer trading, but their direct debit payment is due in about a week.  

What do I do?  Let it go out or in good faith that it will be dealt with properly or cancel it and sideline the money for whoever fleeces me next?

Actually, now that I see the question in text the answer is almost automatic but I'll let it stand just in case........... shrugs.
    The general advice from both Ofgem and MSE was to leave it as it will be honoured on your account. I completely understand where you're coming from though, I've had the same thoughts hence why I'd looked. I've left it, probably turn out to be the wrong thing to do in hindsight.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• dariusdarius Frets: 670
    Another Avro loser here. 
    I had not paid much attention to the gas price headlines, but it’s got my attention now. Gas price has more than doubled on all the tariffs I’ve searched. Double whammy that with Work From Home heating. It’s going to be a massive £ hit this winter.
    bolox.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Haych said:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1441308044009246720?s=21
  • BBBlues said:
    Haych said:

For those of us without a Twitter account, what does it say? 

BBBlues said:
    Haych said:

As an ex AVRO customer my decision to go with them was based on the high customer satisfaction rating & the pricing.
    This new behind the scenes stuff is not looking very good at all, but it doesn't affect the new reality of the situation we find ourselves in now.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    edited September 2021
    BBBlues said:
    Haych said:

For those of us without a Twitter account, what does it say? 
    It doesn't read well - basically it states that AVRO was started by a 27 year old ex- footballer, has rather "complex" relationships with other organisations (not energy related) to which large cash transfers have been made. Basically grabbing your money in advance really quickly and using that revenue for other purposes.... I have to say that they were very very quick to initiate the first direct debit from my account before they even officially started supplying my gas / electricity - which they never will because they've gone pop.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    darius said:
    Another Avro loser here. 
    I had not paid much attention to the gas price headlines, but it’s got my attention now. Gas price has more than doubled on all the tariffs I’ve searched. Double whammy that with Work From Home heating. It’s going to be a massive £ hit this winter.
    bolox.
    I have a little electric oil filled radiator to heat the room I work in so I don't have to heat the whole house.

Given the £6 per week tax allowance for working from home, it shouldn't end up costing you money.