Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Energy price increases

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    Another triumph for privatisation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1984
    edited September 2021
    ICBM said:
    Especially when you consider the Conservative governments strategic decisions around 2013, not to support the maintenance or expansion of U.K. gas storage?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19372
    ICBM said:
    Nonsense, this is just how the free market operates. 

"Strong Leadership, A Clear Economic Plan And A Brighter, More Secure Future"
    "
    Get Brexit Done. Unleash Britain's Potential. Britain Deserves Better"

My irony-meter has totally fused, might need a complete rewire, do you know anyone that can help? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Danny1969 said:
    Just use less electric and pay quarterly for what you have used. Don't get sucked into that monthly plan pay the same every month, that doesn't encourage you to use less as the amount is always the same.

I think just about everybody must have LED bulbs now, but if you haven't switch to them. Get a Halogen Oven so you don't need to heat an entire ovens worth of space to cook a pizza. Stop using dishwashers and tumble dryers. Only put the water in the kettle you are going to use, don't boil a whole kettles worth for 2 cups of tea. Don't leave things on constantly. 

If you’re washing more than 13 items it’s cheaper to use a dishwasher. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    viz said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Just use less electric and pay quarterly for what you have used. Don't get sucked into that monthly plan pay the same every month, that doesn't encourage you to use less as the amount is always the same.

I think just about everybody must have LED bulbs now, but if you haven't switch to them. Get a Halogen Oven so you don't need to heat an entire ovens worth of space to cook a pizza. Stop using dishwashers and tumble dryers. Only put the water in the kettle you are going to use, don't boil a whole kettles worth for 2 cups of tea. Don't leave things on constantly. 

Yep. According to Which (featured on last week's R4 'More or Less') it's 13 items or 3 meals worth of stuff for an average family, but as ever the devil is in the details.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zkzq (starts at just before 20 minutes).
    So, used properly, the dishwasher wins over sinks. Don't shoot the messenger 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5004
    edited September 2021
    ICBM said:
    Well it was for those who bought shares, I'm pretty sure most of the cabinet in that era are multiple millionaires too. Yayyyy to the free market eh, it doesn't lower prices it just fixes them. 

I'm with People's Energy, which is being transferred to British Gas now, can't wait as I had a fixed deal until next February, now I'm going to be on a shit deal. Should be illegal to go bust when you've got contracts, the die is always loaded eh.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/58653655

"The Rough gas storage facility off the Yorkshire coast in the North Sea was closed in 2017, and was responsible for 70% of the UK's gas storage volume."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_(facility)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160720175840/https://eandt.theiet.org/news/2016/jul/winter-gas-imports.cfm

So, how could anyone possibly have foreseen something so impossible to predict.
    Oh, wait a minute... 

#-o
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
    Check out tonight’s BBC Newsnight. Catch it on iPlayer. 

There is a lead section on this. 

The regulator moves the customers of failed emergency providers via an auction to the best bidder.  

I didn’t know about this auction process. But the companies it seems don’t want these customers because they take them on and then they will leave very soon for the best price as soon as possible. So not worth it in the medium term.  

And it costs everyone a lot. The process costs the Gov (you and me) a fortune via public spend to transfer stricken customers. 

For the poor customers especially the hits are particularly real.  

Failing suppliers are passed effectively to larger companies. - also less green. And.  More expensive. 

Low income people - most people in this country  - are facing removal of credit uplifts. Less cash. For some maybe 1000 per year.  

1.25 pc national insurance tax uplift  - allegedly to pay for NHS catch up is coming in. But this is BS it’s pure tax gap filling. There is no real care plan. And the poorest hit hardest, as ever. The Brexit Bus NHS BS - always utterly mad as F - never looked more ridiculous. Brexit dividend? Failure all round on that front.  Literally see zero benefit so far except happy fish and blue passports. 

State subsidised CO2 production - again public purse bail out. More tax needed. Bigger state. Not very Conservative.  

I am with Bulb. I wanted to use a provider that used renewable as the priority. I realise this may not be cheap but I want to put my money in the right place. I’m holding tight. For the moment. 

Uswitch was well intended but in practice bullshit. I always ended up paying the same or more. I changed three times for best price at first. Waste of time. 

This is a very screwed up model. And it is not temporary. All the eco factors are driving against gas production. And we need renewable smart
    energy. But for now we need Gas. 

I used to think renationalising energy was counter productive but it’s hard to see that now. The winter looks potentially very difficult. 

• I hope Ofgem gets a fucking great boot up the arse. If ever the phrase ‘not fit for purpose’ applied, it’s to that shower. How the fuck didn’t they see what was rolling down the turnpike, and lift the cap. Or maybe they did, and it would have been political suicide.

Whatever, we’re all going to be paying what is arguably the true rate for our energy from now on, and I hope the mess is sorted very soon.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541
    viz said:
    Danny1969 said:

Yep. According to Which (featured on last week's R4 'More or Less') it's 13 items or 3 meals worth of stuff for an average family, but as ever the devil is in the details.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zkzq (starts at just before 20 minutes).
    So, used properly, the dishwasher wins over sinks. Don't shoot the messenger 
    Is that as in a dishwasher uses less water ? .... because I can't get down with the fact that something that use's electricity is cheaper to run than a process that uses no electricity at all :)
    Where I am water isn't metered so my only cost is the gas to heat the water. The delivery of the water is gravity fed and the the exit is as well. 

I do tend to wash up instantly after a meal because at the point you can just pretty much rinse the plates clean as the food hasn't hardened on the plate like it does when you stack it in a dishwasher and turn it on hours later. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Is the whole "must get on to a fixed rate now!" talk a bit of a scam? I am with Igloo on a variable rate and here are the figures compared with the best fixed rate according to Martin Lewis - who I am sure has got to be one of the riches blokes around!!

Igloo (variable) vs Eon (fixed)

Gas
    (standing charge per day)
    26.6p                      36.36p

Unit rate
    3.18p                      4.48p

Electricity
    (standing charge)
    23.32p                    34.38p

Unit rate
    17.63p                    21.93p

I know my variable is going to rise again in October, but it will have to go some (30%?) reach the best fixed rate on the market atm! I think the standing charges from Eon are a joke. Once again we are had literally over the coals with our pants down!

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    I just renewed my Avro tariff two weeks ago... :(
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 237
    Was with OVO paying £113 per month and now they want £215 fixed for 2 years or £135 variable. I fixed with E-0N for £158 based on accurate figures. No Exit fee so if prices move down i will change tariff. I suspect they will climb further. 

U-Switch was not doing comparisons yesterday 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    So, why is this happening then? My understanding is that well over half of our electricity comes from non-fossil sources and is mostly renewables such as wind, solar, hydro, etc. Surely electricity prices should be either stable or coming down. What am I missing here?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    AVRO website is accessible today, but no information is available relating to my account, which was in credit.
    At least when Breeze went tits up, the website continued working so I could verify my balance, which was invaluable when fighting verifying the facts with Scottish Power who I was bounced to by the 'regulator'. Ho hum...
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    AVRO website is accessible today, but no information is available relating to my account, which was in credit.
    At least when Breeze went tits up, the website continued working so I could verify my balance, which was invaluable when fighting verifying the facts with Scottish Power who I was bounced to by the 'regulator'. Ho hum...
    Yeah, all the information is borked.  I can still log into my account but absolutely no information is available to me either.  I can't view statements, payments, balances etc.

It's been suggested to take a meter reading as of now to avoid some issues after being switched to a new provider.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited September 2021
    HAL9000 said:
    So, why is this happening then? My understanding is that well over half of our electricity comes from non-fossil sources and is mostly renewables such as wind, solar, hydro, etc. Surely electricity prices should be either stable or coming down. What am I missing here?
    Energy is a global market. Demand is very high (global economies opening up post covid etc), supplies are very tight - there's been bugger all wind in UK for a month. We don't have many coal powered stations left, switching on gas stations is v expensive because gas prices have rocketed. We don't store much if any gas in UK. Our Nuclear capacity is in decline, we're also  having issues in expanding future Nuclear capacity. One of the electric interconnects with France is out of action etc etc etc. 
    Haych said:
    Yeah, all the information is borked.  I can still log into my account but absolutely no information is available to me either.  I can't view statements, payments, balances etc.

It's been suggested to take a meter reading as of now to avoid some issues after being switched to a new provider.
    Yeah, same here. I always take photographs of the meters each time I submit a reading & took an extra one yesterday when the news broke, so I'll have some proof of the situation.
    Luckily I havent used any gas since March, so that hasn't changed & can't be argued  ;)

Maybe people could post their best post crash offers & deals here once the dust settles?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5786
    Will the dust settle, though?  Has the wholesale gas price stabilised yet or is there more price hikes to come?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Haych said:
    Will the dust settle, though?  Has the wholesale gas price stabilised yet or is there more price hikes to come?
    There's likely to be further increases "in the pipeline"...pardon the pun.